/bible/ thread

Newfag to christianity and reading the bible. What are some good readings for someone who has been non-religious their whole life?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qYWEYuhiWzE
youtube.com/watch?v=mt9HSQZMQYM
youtube.com/watch?v=EOShHXaqt0M
oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-145#sessions
oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-152#sessions
subsplash.com/zadok/s/c8be0ad/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Start by dropping the homophobic slurs. You should be the image of Christ to the world, not a slanderer of others. Drop your old ways and habits.

As for reading, start with Mere Christianity by CS Lewis.

Take the logos in your hand and eat it, it will kill you, as the Joanna Newsom song teaches us :)

Just watch Star Wars but only the original trilogy theatrical release.

The forced is strong in this meme

It is time to take the bread pill user.

start with bernard de clairvaux, ease into it slowly

Watch these:
youtube.com/watch?v=qYWEYuhiWzE
youtube.com/watch?v=mt9HSQZMQYM
youtube.com/watch?v=EOShHXaqt0M

Read Mere Christianity. Read some G.K. Chesterton next (I really liked The Everlasting Man). Watch videos that interest you from Bishop Robert Barron's YouTube channel. Read a few parts of the Summa Theologica that interest you. Read Confessions by Augustine.

When reading the Bible I would recommend reading some of the New Testament to get the gist of it. Then go back and read the Old Testament. Whenever you run into something that seems morally reprehensible or something you don't quite get, look up what Christians on the internet have to say about it. Then read through the New Testament.

Once you understand the storyline of the Old Testament and New Testament read City of God by Augustine.

what's the best audiobook version of the bible? i have like 100 bucks in itunes and 2 credits on audible whatever has it, let me know...i torrented some shit called "scourby bible" or something which is dank, but it originates from a podcast or something and isn't really an audiobook, i wish i could get it on audible but it's not there, so what's the next best one? oh and KJV plz

the bible

>Kierkegaard Orthodox/protestant
wat

Watch these:

Old Testament:
oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-145#sessions

New Testament:
oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-152#sessions

Yeah, I don't understand why Fear and Trembling wasn't just put in the Protestant section. Maybe it's because Kierkegaard discusses the book of Tobit which isn't canon according to most Protestant dogmas.

>book of Tobit
kind of pisses me off as a "multicultural liberal" type i know more about other religions than christianity, the faith of my own civilization, wtf is the book of tobit?

Can't help blame christianity itself.

Christian education made no effort to teach me any content from the bible.

>*Christendom

kek
Nice trips, satan. I haven't actually read it, but from what I remember from Fear & Trembling it's a book about a guy named Tobit who had almost married a few ladies, but each time the woman would die before the marriage could happen. So he meets another lady, and I think an angel tells her to marry him even though it seems certain that she would die. But she does, and she doesn't die.

I'm probably oversimplifying it and getting things mixed up though.

Growing Up Spiritually, Kenneth Hagin
Humility: True Greatness, C.J. Mahaney
Surprised by the Power of the Spirit, Jack Deere
Waking the Dead, John Eldredge
The Three Battlegrounds, Francis Frangipane
Eros Defiled, John White

>If you like textual analysis
Joshua's Spiritual Warfare: Understanding the Chiasms of Joshua; Thomas B. Clarke

>I also highly recommend this free video course by North Texas pastor Steve Foss. It is a "discipleship course" designed for new believers. I found it after I had been a Christian for about a year and a half.

subsplash.com/zadok/s/c8be0ad/

Feel free to request more recommendations on books or Christian sites or pastors to listen to.

How important is the apocrypha? Having a suprisingly hard time finding a King James Bible that includes it which isnt a literally facsimile of the 1611 edition

Which song is that?

it's 32 pages but costs 10 bucks new, and all the used ones are like these leather bound joints that cost $50, wtf

Can't you just buy a Catholic or Orthodox Bible?

It's kinda weird to just buy one book of the Bible separate. There's probably not much demand for it.