>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/series/53689-ilium
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can someone post the How to read Dune chart?

W-who's Canada?

Who is the reddit fag that hijacked our general?
Why does he do this theme shit?
Why did he (and we allowed him to) change the source for the charts?

Did Simmon's write anything else worthwhile?

>Why does he do this theme shit?
The themes need to continue. That's what makes it a thread topic instead of a social hangout for barely literate genre fiction readers :3

Vince stop, you're embarrassing yourself :3

It can't make it a thread topic when only 5 out of the fucking 80+ users read the books in the op. If you want specific discussions, make your own fucking thread and stop hijacking ours.

We've had themes and author highlights before. It's just that normally no one (or ones) has the gumption to do more than one in a row. I like it and don't understand why it bothers you.

What book is like starship troopers in the sense is a war between humans and giant bugs but is actually about the war and not gay fascism?

It looks like I just finished Mislaid. The summary makes me want to vomit. Who would read this?

Continuing from Genuine question.

How many of you here don't consider yourselves 100% straight?

I'm reading The Terror. It's nice.

Ilium and Olympos are bretty gud

goodreads.com/series/53689-ilium

Reposting

What mobile reader do you use, /sffg/?
I am looking for one where you can select several sentences and make it a bookmark, also it would be really sweet if cross-device current page synch is available
Shit, missed the reply
>kindle?
No, ios

The distinction is meaningless. We are all sexual beings and choose to express this innate portion of ourselves in different ways.

Kindle is on everything, though. PC, Mac, Android, IOS, and then you have the physical thing.

It's OK to be a faggot you know?

Are there any fantasy authors that at least try to portray all classes of people fairly? I mean ones that don't take all kings to be either evil or good, and all clergy to be villainous schemers. GRRM is often brought up, but he most definitely falls into this meme. And then you have Nips that just glorify the shit out of being a retainer and dying for your daimyo.

For the record, I'm not talking about a novel that's heavy on politics and intrigue like ASOIAF. It could even be pulp or slice of life. I just mean something that genuinely tries to portray ancient/medieval life as it was, good and bad, without falling into any stereotypes.

i want to fuck a trap and suck dicks
100% hetero

Will try it out, thx

What are you guys reading waiting for oathbringer?

I'm rereading the first 2 books and waiting for Edgedancer to come out in October.

Holy shit Malazan is awful.

>waiting for oathbringer
>not waiting for unholy consult releasing on july 6th in paperback, hardcover, and digital

Where are you?

>memes

How can people seriously believe that Bakker wold write that way? He's a pseud. Unless he was intentionally trying to sound retarded. Has anyone ever emailed him about this?

Im trying to remember the title of a fantasy book I read as a kid--- I literally dont remember anything except this part where the teenage protagonist is taught how to make a sword, but his master only lets him strike the hot metal once a day--- ring any bells?

I mostly read fantasy but I'd like to give sci-fi a try.
What are the best books that deal with transhumanism? Augmentations and such.
I imagine it's a common theme in the genre.

Try John Varley's short story bundles; e.g., The Persistence of Vision (1978) (UK release: In the Hall of the Martian Kings), and The Barbie Murders (1980) (republished as Picnic on Nearside).

His stories contain some neat stuff about body augmentation and modification.

>1978
>1980
hello friend

The Words of Radiance.

Ilium is his sf magnum opus.

First In. Last Out.

Does anybody have this? The Black Library site says that it's out, but I can't find it.

Just watch Naruto. It's pretty much the same as Sanderson novels

Book of the New Sun

Could someone link me to Veeky Forums's discord.

Thanks.

SFF used to be better back then. Hell SF is pretty much dead now

this isn't /soc/ you sick fuck

>There are LN's less anime than Sanderson
Kinda funny

Describing Sanderson as anime actuly fits. It's not just a meme. Those shonen powers ups of his are really cringeworthy.

powerlevels are literally the only good thing about anime and you're an edgy cunt if you disagree

I thought a lit discord would be good for creative writing. that is all.

Reading comprehension user. I said Sanderson's power ups are lame

There are a few creative writing threads on Veeky Forums. If not, you can start a new one. They're allowed.

well i haven't read much sanderson. i tried mistborn and now i tried stormlight archive and the characters are just unbearable. literally anime but it has none of the charm and innocence that the japs put into their protagonists. just hallmark tier drama

>Fell for the Sanderson meme
>Garbage characters
>passable prose
>awful dialogue
>decent worldbuilding
>hit and miss magic systems
Now the only /sffg/ meme left for me is Bakker

I hope you're prepared.

Give us ur hot-take on malazan

I bet you never even read about space cats.

>there is a litrpg genre

I'm pretty sure he is autistic. His work has absolutely no emotion in it. Maybe it comes with being a Mormon.

>bakker
>meme
The Prince of Nothing is the best work published since Blood Meridian. He takes godlike prose and merges it in a masterful way intricate worldbuilding and esoteric knowledge of the human condition, resulting in a timeless masterpiece that is as much a work of fiction as it is a groundbreaking philosophical piece.

Remember to buy The Unholy Consult, launching July 6th on paperback, hardcover, and digital!

It's a solid series but not one I'd call great.

10/10 bait Bakker. Made me reply. >Kaladin
>No emotion

Well his 10 book epic became shit by the second book. For example he killed a character for shock value only to asspull them back during the epilogue. Oh and there's also his awful interludes and he also sucks at writing multiple POVs

>interludes
There is a special place in hell for authors that do this.

I don't think we've seen the last of Sadeas but still, he should have died a long time ago. He should have been arrested at the end of the 1st book.

Kaladin just a copy of an angsty anime character

If you got sold off as a slave, you'd be asshurt too.

What are you doing in this thread you faggot?

Everything is anime here.

I was talking about Jasnah the super intellegent lesbian who is smarter than everyone else with the exception being the king who asked a god to make him the smartest guy around

As much as I love him, this is true... It's not even that the characterization is bad necessarily, or that the characters are inherently unlikable. I'm not even sure what it is. I despise the way he takes every character and has them philosophize about the world. It just makes an already slow-moving story that much slower...
This is just my personal opinion, and it's clear that many on here disagree, but I think an author with more self-control and respect for his readers could have easily made The Prince of Nothing trilogy into a single book. There are so many segments that are completely irrelevant in the big scheme of things, and as you've said, there's no emotional attachment in order to want to see more of the characters.
I don't think that's true. I would say the first is the weakest out of the original trilogy, and the Great Ordeal was definitely the best out of Aspect-Emperor.

I thought you were talking about Bakker, my bad.

>his 10 book epic became shit by the second book
You mean became shit when Sanderson decided to fuck off and not release a 3rd book for like 5 years.

How do you expect me to stay interested in your massive epic if you go full ADD and refuse to work on it? Its one thing if its a short trilogy but a 10 book series at this rate will never be finished.

The asspull for him not being arrested or flat out fucking murdered was retarded.
>Haha as it turns out we have a culture of being jackasses its my fault for someone abandoning me on the battlefield
Dalinar is a complete fucking retard, by letting him live you make every other prince fully aware they cannot trust each other or the king since its perfectly legal to try and murder each other.

I mean jesus christ from what we knew of their culture he had the authority to murder Sadeas for being a coward.

He was justified during WoK but he was being retarded during WoR. Then again this is probably because Sanderson didn't know what do with Kaladin so he decided to make Kaladin undergo the same arc that he did in WoK

Are there any Scifi or Fantasy authors with a prose style similar to Cormac McCarthy or Hemingway? A lot of interesting imagery and action and not much inner thoughts and sitting around thinking about shit. Most shit I find is just fags pondering and internal monologues that go on for paragraphs with very little stuff actually happening. I hate this deep POV meme writing style.

>being the king who asked a god to make him the smartest guy around

That's from the Lift Novel right?

No he appears in Wok and WoR. He's the one that was responsible for the stone autist's actions

Have you read this? You're not going to find anyone like McCarthy, obviously, but this is a nice collection focused on the weird without any bullshit monologues.

Yeah he's spending his time writing YA instead

Yeah I have no idea why people praise his magic systems so much.

What's with all of newish these fantasy authors who write one decent book and then shit out two turds? For example that Anthony Ryan guy.

>what are sequels

Because nobody else fucking does magic anymore? Mainly that. The historical realism meme is off the charts right now. Only a moron would disagree that the best magic system belongs to Richard Scott Bakker.

I'm thinking about what book to read next. If I enjoy Sanderson's books a lot, would I probably enjoy The Prince of Nothing?

Fuck no.

Either bottled lightning or people let the fame get to them and start to think they are some sort of savant genius ala Rothfuss

What is your opinion on video game isekai literature?

Tower Lord was so bad that I didn't bother reading the third book

You wouldn't. Also try this. I hated it, but for much the same reason I hated Animeson, so you might enjoy it.

Cheap fun sometimes though they can wear out their welcome really fast.

Rothfuss is tolerable because he basically admitted he was a cuck through Kvothe.

Are there any notable ones besides RPO?

But Discord would be more fluent. Are you gonna link or what?

i finally started reading Dune not too long ago and I'm absolutely loving it. I can't wait to get on to Messiah.

I've never in my life heard of a Discord for that. There's only been some for reading groups and they've all been disastrous.

I joined a reading and movie group combined from /pol/ and its been a huge success.

It all comes down to the moderator.

What's some essential space cats?

Not saying that Sanderson is a good writer but there was literally nothing wrong with killing her and bringing her back. It made Shallans journey more interesting and considering how hyped up she was (not defending this, book is full of Mary/Gary Sues) I hardly raised an eyebrow when she returned.

Shalan is hardly a Mary sue.

Sure, I hated her in the beginning but Words of Radiance was necessary for her to shine.

>female POVs

>People actually thought Jasnah was dead
Is this the first book you have ever read? I dont mean by Sanderson, I mean by literally anyone.

Name one book ever where a main character has fallen off a boat, never had a body show up, was presumed dead and was ACTUALLY dead?

You might as well be shocked that rocks falling on someone or a building collapsing has literally never killed anyone in a book.

I was talking about Jasnah but Shallan is quite close to being one, things just go to well for her. She have her downs but they're always resolved really really fast. This is of course not including her childhood, which is probably my favourite storyline.

>teenage girl POV

>female POV
>Its just a dude in a dress except people threaten them with rape

>bad-ass snarky tomboy female POV