Plebeian confessions thread...

Plebeian confessions thread. This is the time where you repent for being so shit and everyone else recoils in horror because of it all. C'mon, it's fun.

bob dylan deserved the nobel prize for literature.

translations of poetry are good depending on the translator. you still get the image and depending on the translator also the rhythm of the original poem. just because it's not in italian it's not full of swirley whirley pizza mama mia.

books on writing are fine as long as it's not blatant self-help clickbait-esque trash like "YOUR NOVEL SUCKS 1001 REASONS WHY" etc.

Joseph Campbell is one dry guy, need a tall glass of water to read a quarter of his book

anyone writing screenplays and/or plays in microsoft word should just give up trying. nobody takes it seriously if you don't use finaldraft or celtx.

I have never read a greek, roman, russian or french piece of literature.

My main source of literature is as follows: was there a movie adaptation? Yes? I'll see the movie and then read that book.

this is me t b h

Cracking the spine is fine.

I really like the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I have a collector's and a pocket edition of every book, and I hope that fat lazy asshole don't die before finishing the sixth and seventh books.

After reading Aristotle and Kant, I find Plato overwhelmingly childish and simple

Agreed

Just leave, what are you even doing here?

He's making so much from royalties and book sales, he's so rich that all the money would probably give him a reason not to finish his next books. What's the point of motivating yourself to finish it when you're already set for life financially?

I thought that the Iliad was about the siege of Troy, but. Only after I actually read the Iliad I realised the city is called Ilium and the region Troy.

I don't intend to do it but a few of my books certainly are cracked. It's tough to avoid it when the book is as long as Don Quixote too.

I didn't realise the Pequod was a ship until it sank. No regrets.

Yeah, I know, that's probably why the Winds of Winter is still "in writing". Fucking lazy asshole.

Other way round my man, the region is Ilium and the city is Troy.

Just like Spartans come from Lacedaemon, with Sparta being the civic centre. Which is why Spartans had the letter lambda, λ, on their shields.

This place is filthy.

Blood Meridian was hot garbage.

What did you think it was?

I've read Melville, Faulkner and James but Steinbeck is still my favourite American author.

i feel extremely embarrassed reading in public

until now i've never found a book that i could really connect to and then read it many times and say its my favorite

if i read 5 poems of an author and they're bad, i completely discard him as a poet

Apart from the obvious working related stuff (science and engineering) I can't stand anything that's not an Epic Fantasy series.

Regular poetry (Epic Poems don't count) are useless and obsolete.

Poetry is only justified when you're trying to court a female.

t b h they're all deserving of love and are a good reminder of why i love american literature so much.

What makes you say that, user?
I don't know, Shakespeare's sonnets are a great example of how expressive English can be. They're pretty inspiring really.

>how expressive English can be

Too bad you'll never see how deep the rabbit hole really is.

I can't discuss books in any meaningful way.
I don't know English grammar and I'm finding it difficult to learn.
I've only read 202 books.

> only 202 books

More than most of us here, user.

oh ok

I like these threads because they force me to confront the pack of retards who I'm actually writing towards when I make posts on Veeky Forums, and it encourages me to leave this website for good.

90% of you need to either kill yourselves or start doing the work

I'll post a thread and if people don't respond quickly enough to it I'll end up doctoring a few of the first replies and then some of the replies to those replies.

At this point you can't confirm whether or not I'm one of the only people in this place.

*moves closer to the mic*

"wrong"

I don't think I'm able to really critically examine books. I enjoy reading, and I like to read about other people's opinions or analysis of them, but if you asked me what I thought, Id have to shrug and just say that I enjoyed it or I didn't.

Books are no different than tv/movies.video games for me. Fun escapism. I still read literary works, but I don't think I'm learning anything.

I actually like the classic literature from school...

I can't seem to find a modern author that isn't cringy, self absorbed, or just willfully ignorant about thier subject.

High school-core lit is actually pretty good and accessible too. It's why they teach it to attempt in engaging children to read more.

What the fuck else could it be?

I read Gene Wolfe, Philip K Dick, Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov and Harlan Ellison but only when the Interstellar soundtrack is playing

this one genuinely annoys me

i genuinely know this feel

I didn't realize that Ivan and Alyosha were brothers until 60% through.

That's ok, user. Not everyone has to be a scholar, literature can be entertainment.

This is blasphemy.

I like Toni Morrison.

when you say modern do you mean contemporary?

cats are the fucking worst. i unironically believe anyone who likes cats is a fucking creep and they probably smell like piss

Any recommendations, user?

they are good to combat rodents, but having them live inside with you is animal abuse desu

Beloved and Song of Solomon are her best.

i don't understand how this can be possible

Thanks, will check them out.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Catch-22 and A Scanner Darkly are among my favorite books.

I enjoy Stephen King and Neil Gayman novels

You should check out David Krell's essay "Reading Plato after Nietzsche and Co."

John Dies At The End was a good pulpy book.

So was Metro 2033.

This sounds good.

I once threw up in a book and shut it really tight and put it beside the bookshelf not sure what to do with it

it's been 7 weeks and i don't know if i should open it again, help

the cat no like the banana
angery
cat no banana

Which book is it?

Steinbeck is very comfy

Rupi Kaur's Milk & Honey

In terms of depth and maybe even prose, The Stranger is GOAT.

Are there even more drastic books that Peter Sotos ? Where youn girls are slowly tortured, raped and killed and/or gutted or left to rot in abandoned stations ? anyone ?

Philosopher here. Just here to say, YOU DO NOT NEED TO START WITH THE GREEKS. The are not remotely relevant. Pure waste of time.

tfw spend more time on Veeky Forums than reading

Where should I start?

New living translation of the bible. get a firm grasp on religion. And then go straight to Hegel.

Start with Franzen, you'll probably like him, user.

I dropped la commedia half way
The only classic I've read is Don Quixote
No greeks aside from a few plato dialogues

Begin with the Byzantines

>New living translation of the bible
What the fuck
I've read the KJV already, I think I'll stick to the Greeks after this shitty recommendation.

BAIT OR PSEUD TARD?

>I can't seem to find a modern author that isn't cringy, self absorbed, or just willfully ignorant about thier subject.

i can relate but check out Thomas Ligotti and Nick Land, they're the only modern writers who are really great.

I thought Heart of a Dog was good, but not great. Will M&M be better?

Worst advice i've ever read on Veeky Forums

Yes, my mistake
Thanks I'll check it out
Thanks, I'll check them out

You should realize that you're reading an antiquated version. By all means, pollute your brain with an archaic language cluttered in purple prose.

>BAIT OR PSEUD TARD?
Don't make me laugh pleb. I'll bet you can't give me 5 solid reasons that the Greeks are still relevant.

I consider Dostoevsky to be a genuine slog to get through and I only read him for his themes. I can't stand his dialogue

That's because you're a pleb who doesn't speak Russian. BTW, nice dubs, user.

only 1 need reason. literally everything coming out now is just a watered-down or re-imagined version of what they already did. But you're probably too fucking stupid to notice that you tryhard pseud.

Typical regurgitated trashy meme response. "The Greeks already thought of it!" With that pathetic attitude, why even bother to continue on beyond the Greeks...Your mentality is inherently anti-intellectual.

>why even bother to continue on beyond the Greeks
good question. mainly because people like to read the same shit over and over but just with a new skin on it. yes even you, son. you're not as smart or insightful as you think and neither are any of your favorite authors. so fuck off pseud

atm i mainly read self help books and the stuff that was new and stuck has really made a difference, so i will continue reading them.

You didn't like The Corrections?

>mainly because people like to read the same shit over and over but just with a new skin on it.
In other words, you haven't read past the Greeks. Or perhaps, you haven't read the Greeks, nor their successors.

Violent fantasies have ruined my life, and what hurts me most is the fact that I couldn't see it.

Maybe I'm autistic or something.

>anyone writing screenplays and/or plays in microsoft word should just give up trying. nobody takes it seriously if you don't use finaldraft or celtx.
nice joke, except it's not funny

I love the works of Bret Easton Ellis

Hes not wrong m8
Though celtix is also microsoft word tier

I have been reading Bram Stoker's Dracula for two months, still got a hundred pages left

why should you use those programs if you've been used to microsoft word since childhood? I see no reason at all

Me too.

And Ngugi wa thiong'o.

Because final draft
A.) Automatically formats everything perfectly
B.) Is the industry standard,not just for writing,but for the sharing of .fdx documents for collaborative worn
C.) Every version of word post-2011 is trash (srry pure opinion on this one)

I work on House of Cards (nothing coll,not bragging I am the office bitch) and talk to the lower level writing department people all the time. They echo my sentiments. Its like trying to be an editor and not knowing how to use Avid.

Terrible post

It's true, mate. Save up for Final Draft. This is coming from a screenwriter who just sold his newest script for £20k.

Not much of a confession when they're good authors.

>I haven't finished the Iliad.
>I think of myself as someone who reads, but I play Diablo 2 instead of reading
>"I love writing" has been the cornerstone of my self-image since i was 11 (25 now), but I do it so rarely I probably don't actually love it. I refuse to deal with this because I don't really have any other hobbies and my life is empty enough as it is
>my not writing is a disappointment to my older brother. He doesn't say it, but I can tell. And I love my older brother
>I have spent the last six years getting a degree in history, but I don't actually know shit about history. I only did the bare minimum to get a passing degree, sometimes not even that. I have my final examination on Thursday and I've yet to open the books. I'm gonna pass anyway because of the shit system that lets people through
>I've got what, 30 000 euros worth of debt that I accumulated to indulge the notion of myself as intellectual when I've constantly been under-achieving since entering uni
>my only redeeming quality is that I'm pretty good at German in a country where not enough people speak German
>I haven't read even a fraction of my country's canon
>I didn't finish Anna Karenina
>I think The Idiot is utter shit, written only for the money

At least I grew out of Artemis Fowl pretty fast.

t. analytic
Reminder that you could have avoided that whole justified true belief fiasco if you would have read Plato

Oh god I'm the same way, fuck my life