Book hauls

Just finished a trip with a lot of used bookstores, and came away with these. How'd I do, /lit?

How much did that Jerusalem cost you?

Anyway I got the following, sorry no pics:
The Melancholy of Resistance-Krasznahorkai
The Woman in the Dunes-Kobo Abe
Hard to Be a God-Boris and Arkady Strutgatsky

Rate

$10. Considering it was "not for sale", it looked like a good find. Don't know how much different it'll be from the official version though.

Also,
>Hard to Be a God-Boris and Arkady Strutgatsky
v. nice

(has anyone here read either copy of Jerusalem yet?)

goddamnit I've been hunting that Burton for a while with no luck, and it mocks me every time I see it online.

cheer up, but nice haul

Yeah same, I finally bought it online after reading and really enjoying an excerpt from it in that "ethics" book in the stack. Literally a week later the used bookstore I visit every Sunday got it in stock and the cashier chuckled at my bad timing. I'm already enjoying it a lot; I definitely recommend it.

Thanks, the Burton is actually helping (as I hoped, and as he apparently intended).

no but its coming up soon on my list. have heard great things. good news is Moore is still insane and like all his work people adore it or hate it. i personally cant wait. also mentioned is its Joycean difficulty aka there is a whole chapter in angel speak, etc. cant fucking wait

you can get the whole thing free on google books, it was written in english hundreds of years ago, there's no copyright on it

also, i would add it's waaaay too long to be a one volume paper back, if someone does actually attempt to read it rather than just collect it, it will probably get all crinkly and fall apart

Dude have you tried to find another print copy? It's fucking impossible. The only other readily available editions are another 1-volume paperback from the 90s (viking press I think), a 1-volume hardback which translated all the latin text but didn't keep the original alongside, and the 70ish year old 3-volume everyman's hardbacks which are basically impossible to find, let alone as a set. I think the only complete everyman's I saw was like $400 and one of the dust jackets was missing.

I agree the nyrb is obnoxiously fat, but I think it's by far the best option. They should have made it a bigger height/width, like they did with the ~800ish page "pursuit of shelley"

Happened to buy these today.
The Koran happens to be utterly horrifying desu.

from a library booksale

I'm not sure if the width would have been impacted from a larger book-size as it appears to be a facsimile of a previous edition. it probably should have been split into 2 vols though

master and margarita is fanastic

Very nice.

reddit

why so depressed user?

kys

bet you'll read 3 of those at most

i've already read more than 3 of them before :^)

that battin book sounds rly interesting, thanks user

My last 3 purchases
>Naseau - Sartre
>No Longer Human - Dazai
>Berkley Literature Class - Cortazar
They're supposed to arrive tomorrow. I got them to reward myself for a good interview, but they still havent called me back. I guess it'll help with the sadness desu

>Alan Moore

Nice
Most Veeky Forums comic writer. Try Providence by him.

Last 5 books I bought

Lesser Key of Solomon
The Ego and His Own by Max Stirner
A book of poems by Charles Bukowski
Neil Gaiman Anthology
Dracula

i'm reading nausea rn and it's very, very good. i'm only halfway through it, but i wouldn't be surprised if it ends up as one of my favorite books ever

Isn't hard to be a god a film as well? Is it as painfully unintelligible as what I'm thinking of?

Common Sense is pretty comfy. I was surprised how much the Bible was referenced considering Thomas Paine wasn't religious.

>Eggers
>Chabon
Ruined it with these two senpai

No pic

>Fables and Fairytales - Tolstoy
>Against the Day - Pynchon
>Nickel Mountain - Gardner
>The Real Life of Sebastian Knight - Nabokov
>Steppenwolf - Hesse

it's a great film. it's not narrative-focused if that's what you mean to say by painfully unintelligible. if you've ever seen zulawski's On the Silver Globe, it's similar to that (in terms of premise, atmosphere, and cinematography)

I've been buying books to reward myself for not eating so much junk food. I've saved quite a bit of money that I can re-invest in literature.

>On the Silver Globe

That's a neat movie, I didn't understand the ending though.

desu i stopped trying to follow the plot halfway through

I would also recommend Meredith Monk's Book of Days for another film with a similar hybrid of sci-fi/medieval (great score too)

You want a great idea that I've recently come up with?
Every day -every time- you read and must stop for whatever, use a dollar (or whatever bill is convenient) for a book mark. Don't remove any of the previous bills. Once you either finish the book (or a block of books if you dedicate large periods of time to dedicated reading) collect the $$ and buy yourself a treat or reinvest it.
I'm usually pretty busy and read for many brief periods throughout the day. I just finished a book, using only 1$ bills, and took out 35 bucks from it.

>What is the What
Wow this is deep. Keep it 100, senpai.

i hate hate hated that chabon book. i finished it out of pure spite.

good stuff. I'm doing a similar thing, cooking way more meals and whatnot as well, sorta win-win-win. Keep it up user.

>one of these things is not like the others

How did I do?

>tfw you want to buy a lot and support local businesses but you don't want to look like a poser or be that guy who cherry picks all the good shit

Just buy what books you want and stop thinking about it so much you absolute retard

Very good haul. If you're interested in literary criticism, I recommend Arthur Keister Moore's collection of essays, 'Contestable Theories of Literary Theory' (1973?), where he both accounts for the historical development of literary criticism and expands upon contemporary/near-contemporary theories of his time, like Frye, or classics like I.A. Richards and Cleanth Brooks.
Regarding Heidegger, what I've read of him in English has been mostly terrible and needlessly obscure, so I definitely recommend supplementing with some secondary reading, or Heidegger's lecture on metaphysics or learning German

I cannot give you back your homes, or restore your dead to life, but perhaps I can give you justice... in the name of our Lord.

How is there already such an old-looking edition of Jerusalem? And why does it have a different cover?

Never mind, I'm deeply stupid. Shame the advance copy has a better cover than the final version.

> A Hundred Years of Japanese Film

That sounds like it would've been very useful for my dissertation. Nice haul, user, how much did it all come to?

more for me, motherfucker

cuckoo cuckoo! you just got cucked by the cuck of books!

What's horrifying about the Koran, user? I know very little about what's in it but I'm very interested.

>fear god
>fear god
>fear god
>kill them where you find them
>fear god
>this is literally the word of god
>if you don't fear god you're going to burn forever
>if you so much as appear to not fear god you're going to burn forever
>btw fear god
It's like someone read Nietzsche's critique of slave morality and said "thats some pussy shit watch THIS."

Is it good though? From what I've heard the Koran can be very vague and open to interpretation. I also heard it was beautifully written.

I'm kind of interested in it philosophically - to see if there's anything I can get from it which I can apply to my own life - as well as to see what all the hullabaloo is about regarding radical fundamentalism.

Its interesting.
But quite frankly I think it's toxic, it's a lot more totalitarian than I expected, and the positive aspects you can take away are present in pretty much every other religion/ideology that's exists.
I happened to read it since I work in Intel, so I could better make sense of a lot I've seen in Jihadism; and the ideology makes a lot more sense now.

>from a library booksale

The irony inherent here is that to justify your purchases you must delay your suicide to read them. After which you may have changed your mind.

Nice b8

It really is. The sections about small indigenous cultures are especially cool and are drawn from texts you would likely never find on your own.

That's not irony, that's the whole point

>scotch taped-together Crime and Punishment

this is all trash
t. read everything in your stack

>tolstoy
>protestant ethic
>against the day
>making of ulysses

10/10 haul just for those 4

Another question, has anyone read Voice of the Fire by Moore (the only other prose novel he's written afaik)? I've heard it's also difficult, but not sure if I need to start there before hitting up Jerusalem.

Why? Never read anything by him, but picked it up 'cause cheap and Pulizer

about $100
i got that French For Reading for a steal --- it's worth $60 used and the price i paid was $2

No you don't. Moore didn't know what he was doing as much then. All his cons are good except killing joke. And just hit Jerusalem hard and make sure you have a notepad to take notes. Shit is fucking dense

>New World Writing
that the one with the old Pynchon?

>grande sertão: veredas or the devil to pay in the backlands, by guimarães rosa, one of the biggest classics of brazilian literature, have read many years ago, would definitely put it in a brazilian meme trilogy

>milton's paradise lost, samson agonistes, areopagitica and some minor poems, have never read it but love with all my heart books with biblical themes

>the holy bible, almeida's translation. the first translation to portuguese from the actual original books, one of the most well-known translations and considered one of the best, its to portuguese what KJV is to english, basically. currently reading KJV (in english of course) on psalms, will re-read it in portuguese when I am done.

>divine comedy with text in both the original italian and brazilian portuguese, its also considered the best translation to br-portuguese. have read it in english (my first Veeky Forums book, read it shortly after I started lurking here) and want to re-read it in portuguese, and I hope in the future to read it in italian.

Ahahhahahhaha holy shit this is so tailored. How did you like Richard Wright? Was it everything you ever wanted? Do you think his work was a success?

Bought everything over 2 weeks

Shakespeare + Corneille were on 6$cad where as Don Quixote was 20

They finally came! Literature Class looks really interesting and helpful.

I got a bunch of these from the B&N gift cards that were stacking up from various family members over the last three years.

>Lot of french books
>6$cad
I'll assume you're a fellow montrealer. Where did you get this?

Alastair Reynolds-Redemption Ark, Chasm City
Isaac Asimov-Prelude to Foundation
Stephen Baxter-Ultima

it says explicitly says advanced copy and final cover coming soon you inbred retard

I got them from a guy in a yard sale in Sainte-Julie. The madman told me both books were for 3$. He had plenty of other book but I did not know the books. Looking back I was foolish not to buy the book by Dany Laferrière he had.
The rest I got from The word or my local library (they always sell books for a dollar). Yard sales are great, I need to check if there are any in West Mount soon.

>a farewell to arms
>men without women
>the bros karamazov
>don quixote
>oscar wilde
>presocratics and the sophists
The rest I don't really care much but good finds user, that's exactly what I would've bought although I already own a copy of that Dosto book.

What's Nigger about? I understand it's something about racism, but is it just about general racism, or does it focus in on something?

>Not caring about Bolaño and the Gormenghast novels
Sad desu

inb4 triggered prots

>that fat leg
those catholic prayers won't help you lose weight dingus dung eating beetle retard

And the rest

I really hope you waited for a 15% off sale.

Didn't take long.

Looks totally normal to me

And you have 100% more gf than probably almost everyone else on this board so who are we to talk shit

Thats his sister

You stand like that with your sister? Easy there cleetus.

When's the baby due? congrats user i'm happy for you :^)

Unless he's sterile, you can tell by his lack of boner its a platonic relationship.

>If someone does not walk around with a raging boner 100% of the time with their gf it is platonic

the virginity is strong

I assume his hand is on her butt.

>the virginity is strong

How are you supposed to lose your virginity if you cant get a raging boner?

Who is that thicc woman?

hey cool, I'm planning on looking for Woman in the Dunes tomorrow; I wanted to read it before (finally) watching the film. Has anyone read it?

Picked them up a few days ago for 10 dollary doos

take the Richard powers pill anons

That's not a very catholic skirt~

>youre fat lol
>"yeah well heres me with my gf"
???
Am I missing something? The samefagging might make this the saddest post I've seen all year.

It was the most recent photo of my standing leg I had, also, not samefagging. I just woke up.

>signed Franklin Library Carver
What the FUCK

I picked up two of his books from Goodwill. What's great about him?

Nice Gass, really good preface by the author in that edition

From the other day.

which 2?

he talks about the cultural zeitgeist by making allusions to rebecca black so he's worth reading desu

more seriously he engages with contemporary technology/internet/ai/vr/etc. and the relationship between science and humanities in a decently sophisticated manner, at least moreso than anyone else i've come across. granted i only read two of his books so far but they were good enough that i'm willing to read a lot more. also the books were like 6 bucks each so whatever
slowly consuming the gasspill.

I just bought Woodcutters and The Old Masters since I'm already 5 Bernhards in at this point with a few others in waiting as well.