Would heating mayonnaise and flour in a pan produce something like a roux?

Would heating mayonnaise and flour in a pan produce something like a roux?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gi3-Avlo0lg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes. Will it Taste good? Very questionable. Flour + fat = roux, but mayo has egg + vinegar... Yuck?

Try it, post results.

i mean yeah, but
what are you meaning to do with this roux?

I forgot that margarine existed and tried to dream up a vegan roux involving pea-based mayonnaise.

I'm still going to try this monstrosity in the morning though.

Margarine contains dairy

Well shiet, good to know

what in the fuck that is weirder than i thought

Why not just use oil and flour?

Lol, what?
If you are using the term strictly, Margarine = the marketing name for Margaric acid= 100% synthetic trans fats. There is no dairy in it, it's made in a chemical plant, and it's extremely bad for you.

If you are using the term "Margarine" as a generic term for a "non butter spread" then some of them contain dairy and some of them don't. Read the label to check. There are many vegan-friendly brands which contain no dairy.

That's what I was wondering. Any cooking fat works to make a roux. So user could just use oil.

Mayo is stable when its cold, it would split when it heats up

i think

Then... mix it? Or put dish soap in it if you're fussy.

>Yes. Will it Taste good? Very questionable. Flour + fat = roux, but mayo has egg + vinegar... Yuck?
yes, because the combination of cooked flour, egg, fat and vinegar is so unorthodox

That's fine, there's nothing wrong with it splitting. It still makes roux.

Wouldn't the egg curdle?

Yes, but that wouldn't matter. Mayo is mostly air, then oil. The amount of egg is minor, and even if it does curdle it's not enough to matter. I've made a roux using mayo several times.

>Mayo is mostly air
>air
You're confusing it with whipped cream
But the egg is what keeps mayo together, take the egg out of the equation and mayo will split into a fuckton of oil
And mayo always splits in high temp, believe me I've tried

It won't curdle, but it will cook. The protein will denature quickly and it will be a foamy mess.

>You're confusing it with whipped cream
no

>You're confusing it with whipped cream
Nope, same idea. By volume mayo is mostly air. That's why it turns white in color--the tiny little air bubbles refract light and make the mayo look white. If you need help understanding this I suggest checking out On Food and Cooking by McGee.

>>splits in high temp
Yes, I'm not denying that it won't split. I'm saying that the splitting doesn't matter to the roux-making process.

Ice is also mostly air.

Thanks anons, now I'm smarter and feel like a retard more

No, mayonnaise does not contain air. Those are oil bubbles in emulsion.

kek. sure why not.

No because the egg whites will flake out and the emulsion will separate and you'll have a mess.

>No, mayonnaise does not contain air.
Then why does it greatly increase in volume when you make it? If you make mayo with a single cup of oil you get a lot more than 1 cup of finished product.

The electrons in a water molecule are attracted to the oxygen atom due to electronegativity caused by subshell valency. This causes a molecular dipole, then thanks to intermolecular forces like Van Der Walls force, in low temperatures the molecules form a hydrogen bond in a crystal-like structure. You can think of this as a bunch of magnetic bricks that form a house, but rustle their jimmies and they collapse into a smaller heap.

My point is, it could be complicated. Why philosophize over what little we as a chicken tendie Veeky Forums board know, when we could instead test for the purpose of curiosity instead of results? Are we not lovers of cooking?

Maybe it looks like more because it changes texture. You could try and float a spoonful on mayo on oil. If it sinks it doesn't contain air. If it floats it does

>oil flottante
Genius.

youtu.be/gi3-Avlo0lg
It works like any other oil.

So whats a good sauce to make from a roux of olive oil and flour as a starting point? I would imagine something Mediterranean would go well with an olive oil veloute or bechamel

Well Satan, I’d say you’re on the right track. Using some whole milk, a little yogurt, garlic, dill, and mint you could make some kind of crazy fusion of tzatziki and bechamel.

As luck would have it I have some greek yogurt from attempting tikka masala a week ago, going to give this a try with some lamb or chicken this weekend.

has no oil.
only mayo.

Eagerly awaiting delivery on this new culinary frontier.

Gumbo

I love these videos

It will break the emulsion, unless it's store bought mayo.

Does anyone hete eveb know wgst an ulsion id? Idgaf aboyt dpelkbg. Drunk.

oh my god your fucking voice