CHILLI

God dammit Veeky Forums it's almost November and I need your fuck I g chilli recipes. I need the food equivilant of pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

dadcooksdinner.com/texas-red-chili/
seriouseats.com/2010/01/how-to-make-the-best-chili-ever-recipe-super-bowl.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Start with your peppers. It's the name of the dish, after all. You don't want some shitty little packet of powder, you want whole peppers.

Clockwise from top left: anaheim, guajillo, arbol, ancho, jalapeno, and habanero. Normally I would use 3x as much Ancho but I ran low this time.

Chop off the stems of the dried peppers

(switching to smaller pics due to my slow upload right now)

Stick the dry peppers in a blender. Add beer (or whatever other liquid you're using to cook your chili). Let them soak while you keep prepping.

Explain this to me like I'm a 10 year old

Go light your grill.

While the grill is heating up grab a couple of steaks & season them with salt and pepper.

Whole peppers are much more flavorful than chili powder. That's the point of using them.

Arbol and Ancho are mild peppers. These are the base of the chili. You can add others to suit your taste. The more the merrier. Arbols have a nice sharp bite to them. Anaheims are mild. I think most people know habaneros (hot) and jalapenos (mild).

Steaks and the fresh chilis go on the grill. Don't worry about cooking them through, just get a good sear on the meat, and get the peppers blistered all over.

Chille

When you're done you want something like this.

Chop up the peppers you just roasted and stick 'em in the blender with the dry peppers (which should have softened by now)

A food processor works if you don't have a blender, FYI.

Blend it.
It looks red because the red color from the dried peppers dominates the green from the fresh ones. This right here is what's going to make your chili taste amazing compared to some flavorless dry powder.

Cut steaks into cubes.

Get the rest of your meats. Clockwise from upper left: bison, pork, and that's venison on the plate. This is my rule #2 for chili: Use a variety of meats for the best flavor, and a combination of ground and cubed for the best texture.

...and the rest of your ingredients. The bowl contains 4 large white onions, chopped.

For liquid I'm using beer and V8 vegetable juice. You want to use something flavorful, not just water. Other good choices are tomato juice or broth/stock.

Brown the ground meat in the bottom of your pot. You want it brown, not grey. The flash reflecting off the shiny pot makes this look a lot lighter in color than it really is. Get some browning on the meat for dat malliard.

When the meat is browned add your onions. The steam released from the onions while they cook will deglaze the pot for you.

After the onions turn translucent then add everything else to the pot--the steak cubes, the blended chili base, your beer, juice, etc.

There are some dry spices added here. Smoked paprika on the left, freshly ground cumin on the right.

Low heat, gentle simmer.
Here we are after about 3 hours. It's fully cooked by this point (of course), but the texture isn't perfect yet.

After about 5 hours. Texture is right on! Taste it and adjust seasoning if you need to with salt and pepper.

Go on..

Serve!

Whoops, I just realized I forgot a pic.

This glorious bastard went into the blender as well; I forgot it in the proper sequence.

This looks very good.

Texas Red Chilis are top-tier.
Here's a simple approach for a really good one.
I've made it a million times. I will occasionally sub an amount of the meat for pinto beanz.

dadcooksdinner.com/texas-red-chili/

holy fuck this looks so good

And it's piss easy to make too. It takes a while, but most of it is hands-off. Do a little prep up front and then the cooking can happen while you're fucking off doing something else.

Thank you user for the beautifully complete chili pic recipe! You are doing your part for the good of ck and the world. Awesome!
Pic related: chili weather

Beautiful pic. Where from?

This is chilibrah he posts this every so often and it's great chili so pay attention.

Looks great, OP.
I'm too cheap to put steaks in mine.

The steaks were me taking advantage of a sale. I was shopping for something totally unrelated and noticed that they had USDA prime sirloins for $4.50/lb. It was some kind of manager's special, so I took advantage of it.

I normally use chuck instead of sirlion but hey, when sirloin is that cheap then why not go for it? You can use any cut of meat, the idea is to grill it first to get a little of that grilled/smoky taste in your chili.

Can anyone screencap this recipe? This is some good shit

Don't forget the secret ingredient to good chili.

what about vegetarian chilli?

>vegetarian chilli

In to the trash

Thanks for doing this.

Hell yeah, thanks man

That was upstate NY somewhere on route 28 near Delhi

seriouseats.com/2010/01/how-to-make-the-best-chili-ever-recipe-super-bowl.html

I thought this was just going to be a weird mess because of all the random ingredients but it was actually fucking amazing. I used ground beef because I had a ton of it, but mostly followed the rest of the recipe. Pic related

>what about vegetarian chilli?
It's not very good so I don't recommend making it. You could follow the recipe posted but sub portabello mushroom caps for the steaks and sub TVP and/or beans for the ground meat.

>serious eats

Of course it's going to be good

based thread

I take a much more plebian approach to my chili and only use ground meat and also add red beans
but now you gave me a good idea to use different kinds of meat and to grill at least one of them

so 9/10 (I couldn't handle this level of hot so that's why no 10 desu)

How spicy is this? I love spicy food but have a super shitty tolerance for it.

>seriouseats
/tv/ tier populist trash.
Learn to cook.

>Arbols are mild
uh no

I'm the guy who posted the detailed photos step-by-step. It's not very hot. Notice there were only 2 habaneros and one ghost scorpion for what was more than 6 lbs of meat. Most of the chilies used were very mild. I'd call it "medium" at worst.

Just remember you can always make it more or less spicy for your taste. The important peppers for the flavor base are the anchos and guajillos. Those are both very mild. Add hotter peppers depending on your preference. If you want it mild then stick with other mild peppers. If you want it hotter then start adding more of the hotter chilies.

Yeah, you caught me there. I meant to say Guajillo and Ancho were mild. Notice that later in the sentence I addressed arbols and said they had a sharp bite.

I like combining Arbols with other hot peppers since the arbols have that up-front sharp spicy flavor while some of the others have a longer, slow burn. Combining the two is great.

good I thought I was taking crazy pills. I made hot sauce out of arbols a while back that blew my tongue off because I wasn't familiar with the pepper

Thank you so much. I'd like to try this ans tben move on to experimenting with peppers

Never put an ingredient in a dish without tasting the raw ingredient first. Otherwise how are you supposed to know how much to add? Clearly you can read recipes, but that's only a guideline. Natural ingredients vary in potency. You might have to use more or less of a given ingredient depending on how flavorful it is, not to mention your own personal preferences.

>never put an ingredient in a dish without tasting the raw ingredient first
I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you mean this only in the case of (fresh, washed) plants

inb4 there's somehow a Jack video out there of him tasting raw chicken first before """"cooking"""" it

I meant pretty much everything, except perhaps really high risk stuff like raw poultry.

Some people are squeamish about tasting raw meat, fish, etc, but it's very common for pro cooks to taste that stuff raw. I taste-test my raw sausage mix for seasoning before I stuff sausages, assuming there's no poultry in it. I taste test raw beef, fish, etc.

Jack silliness aside, ever watch any cooking shows like Iron Chef? They constantly taste-test things, even raw.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to taste raw food if you aren't comfortable with that. Use your own judgement, but always taste as much as you possibly can. Not only does it help you know how much and what kind of seasonings to add, but it also helps you learn how different things affect the taste of your dish.

nah point taken user, I do it too but only with seafood, and sausages (I believe some sausages are actually better raw, especially with some salad and white cheese next to it)

beef and pork...well I'm too much of a pleb to get the good stuff so whatever I buy tastes the same as last time so no real point there

veggies I usually can't help myself anyway and always snack on them while cooking
I mean I'm prepping them anyway, might as well sample the goods
>tfw that don't work with womyn on first dates

gonna have to force my OC meme

substitute ground beef with sweet potaters

Do you not put in diced or whole tomatoes? Could i or should i?

>Putting beans in your chili

How to out yourself as a subhuman 101

Nice

I've literally never seen this beans/nobeans in chili discussion ever before I can't wait for this objective, thought-provoking debate to unfold

No beans?

So I just made the recipe posted ITT and I have to say, best damn chili I've ever had. Extremely spicy but not unbearable. I used serranos, jalapenos, habaneros, guajillo, arbol, and a poblano with chuck, veal, bison and ground brisket. 10/10 would make again. Thanks chili-user.

I put beans in my chili because I love having any excuse to take a big soft shit. Especially in the winter, I crawl out of bed, put on a robe and just squeeze so gently and empty my guts and it's just beautiful. It feels like what the first snowfall of the season looks like.