How do you choose a field of study?

I never understood how someone with a genuine interest in science could choose one field over another. Everything is a derivative of physics and can be perceived as fascinating under the right lens. I'm 23 now and have been unable to commit to mastery of one subject. Habitually I bounce between physics, genetics, biochem, toxicology, sociology (kek), and recently machine learning. My interest waxes and wanes as frequently as lunar cycles. As a result I have nothing more than a cursory overview in each.

I completed an AA in 'engineering science' several years ago and have been out of school ever since. More recently I was accepted to a university for the study of bioengineering next Fall. But I'm beginning to fear I've already lost some interest in that. I tend to move towards what I find most relevant, which today seems to be gene editing and AI. My program won't have much focus on genetics.

Currently I feel like a useless, scatter brained piece of a shit. I really like the phrase, "know a little bit about everything and everything about something." How do you find that something? Why does one field not only stick out to you, but also persist the flood of new topics? Perhaps this is the curse of INTP untermensche. Can INTJ masterrace even relate?

Attached: d04.png (600x656, 75K)

Attached: Major guide.png (429x608, 28K)

what about neuroscience

I'm kind of worried about this too OP. My interests within STEM are always changing. I wanted to do Chem Eng in highschool, then Comp Eng then EE and now math. The only thing that I've consistently enjoyed and had the same amount of passion for is math. I took an Intro to Higher Lvl Math course last semester and loved it but I think I'm just going to finish my EE degree and get a masters in Mathematics or something.

study for the money

You gotta concentrate. Either you learn something very well an can be a dick about it or you learn several things not as in depth and don't profit

>Do you love doing math but hate rigour?
>Love doing math
>but hating rigour
>"Doing" math

These kind of things make me autistic

Major in something that makes money

Attached: IMG_1461.png (750x1334, 239K)

don't care about that desu. Made lots of money thanks to Veeky Forums and crypto last year.

Senpai i'm 22 and all I can tell you is that true learning depends all on you not your major. No ones going to be teaching you when your 40(probably) so you may as learn whatever you want whenever you want. Just make sure to take sometime to review what you've learned prior, so that while you learn new things you don't forget the old ones

>Just make sure to take sometime to review what you've learned prior, so that while you learn new things you don't forget the old ones
this is so crucial. I find myself so often fumbling over basic concepts I spent a great deal of time learning years ago, and suddenly they are completely foreign again. Feels like a waste of life

Mein negger
Tell me you still hold XMR though

Attached: 1495214237723.jpg (1022x853, 226K)

>Everything is a derivative of physics
that's why I chose physics

honestly not the worst major advice i've seen

\thread

cool

yeah but knowing theoretical physics doesn't give you much inherent insight into say biochem

maybe choose an easy feild,teach at a university and use your extra time to go to other teachers classes?

yes but if you want to know a "little bit of everything", physics is always going to be at the top of the chain of prerequisite knowledge

this is a good idea. I think getting an eng undergrad, pure masters and then pure phd is a good plan. I think im going to be doing something like:
BS
>AerospaceEng
Masters
>Astrophysics
PhD
>Some more specific area of physics
I dont even know anymore.. Currently working on an Associates of Science for transfer in Physics. The counselors cant help and im lost kek, at least im gonna do very well on midterms this week

>tfw I like sand, tubes and models but I'm only a ChemE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1491885521852.jpg (500x344, 28K)

Jack of all trades master of none. I used to be interested in all the sciences like you, I did a bit of bio, some chem, physics (all in uni btw). While I was doing these I was also doing math and eventually found rigour and now I can't even look at these subjects seriously desu.

/thread

You take gen eds and pick your favorite.

If that doesnt help, think about what you want to spend the rest of your life doing. Not thinking about, actually doing. In a lab? On a computer? etc

You can always learn in your free time, so pick something you can spend 40hours per week doing

If that doesnt help, you take a physics undergrad and specialize in whatever you can get a research group for.

>what is biophysics

Attached: 8f480742-d73e-4766-9fa8-9dfe18fd0f08.jpg (740x444, 54K)

>not just picking applied mathematics and jumping from field to field

Attached: a62.png (800x778, 338K)