Just getting to this guy. he is laughably patrician. how is it possible to be like him? do i need a 200 iq?

just getting to this guy. he is laughably patrician. how is it possible to be like him? do i need a 200 iq?

130+ tbqh.

>how is it possible to be like him

Have daddy be the Carnegie of Austria; study engineering; study mathematics; read a shit ton of Frege and Russell.

nevermind. he was gay.

Was Wittgenstein one of the smartest persons who ever lived? Up there with Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Newton? I like to think so.

Also, little known fact: he learned Danish for the sole purpose of being able to read Kierkegaard in its original language.

how is the tractatus doing anything kant didnt do?

Its objective was completely different.

He didn't read much Russell, but he read a lot of German late 19th century culture like Husserl, Goethe, Schopenhauer, Weininger.

Also a lover of Tolstoy and literature.

>He didn't read much Russell
He was his apprentice and Russell personally saw him as a successor to the analytic autism throne, you dumb fuck.

>Despite this fame, he could not initially work at Cambridge as he did not have a degree, so he applied as an advanced undergraduate. Russell noted that his previous residency was sufficient to fulfill eligibility requirements for a PhD, and urged him to offer the Tractatus as his thesis. It was examined in 1929 by Russell and Moore; at the end of the thesis defence, Wittgenstein clapped the two examiners on the shoulder and said, "Don't worry, I know you'll never understand it."

Yeah russell did, wittgenstein never cared much. If you read their correspondence wittegenstein often writes to Russell, while completing the tractatus, how matters of logic are seeming less and less important and how his attention is moving towards ethics.

Also read his wartime diaries to see how he was far from any actual concern of russell.

how good was he really? I am very tempted to read his shit

I would say it's probably best not to try and read his shit but read his books instead.

he dismissed the tractatus himself
read philosophical investigations

If every philosopher outside of Plato, Aristotle, Hume, Kant, Hegel, and Wittgenstein were eliminated, philosophy could be rebuilt just as easily.

so?

Just add Husserl and I agree.

When I took my capstone Philosophy course on Wittgenstein, the professor said, "Many say that Wittgenstein is the greatest philosophical mind of the 20th century, and a hefty amount ended philosophy as we knew it back then"

I felt like it was going to be some meme course from some fanboy prof. But by the end of the course, I began to think that saying he "ended philosophy" or that he was "one of the greatest philosophical minds" was not enough to capture his genius.

Wouldn't you say Nietzsche was just as important as Wittgenstein?

yeah, but it seem like he just replaces it with an idealist nominalism, which kant can fold to too

nietzsche >>>>>>>>>>>>%>%%>wittgenstein

its not close

Was he autistic?

can i skip bertrand russell's intro on the tractatus? i read wittgensten thought it was shit

Homosexuality, bisexuality, and omnisexuality are the most patrician orientations.

Nietzsche isn't important, just popular. Just like Rand.

>tell everyone philosophy is a task
>people think you ended philosophy
>tfw

Have Wittgensteins followers been the worst philosophical cult in terms of actually understanding their leader?

is there a position here, like an anti-materialists to capitalism and communism, that you could take toward sexuality?

i bet you say shit like, yeah i'm just really interested in neuro-science right now - so many amazing developments

tru

Into the gulag you go.

my Tractatus professor said to skip it, saying that it's not *that* bad but that you won't be able to pick out the crucial mistakes until you've already mastered the Tractatus

>what kant said
the philosopher

True, the acclaim he gets is mainly from plebs who like his easily digestible books. Nothing in him is new or original, and many minor thinkers have had the same thoughts, but never thought they were worth publishing

nietzsche's role is to be nietzsche so you don't have to. and then the plebs miss the point and go full nietzsche.

I want to become the Wittgen to his Stein. Wrapping up Tractatus right now, what else to read other than Philosophical Investigations?

>Nietzsche
>Easy
Nope.

mind and world

Plato was fucking retarded

someone explain his fucking logico philosophocos to me

we're trapped in... this