Was the violence just thrown in for the kids to enjoy?

Was the violence just thrown in for the kids to enjoy?

Other urls found in this thread:

dalkeyarchive.com/a-conversation-with-david-foster-wallace-by-larry-mccaffery/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bret Easton Ellis hasn't had an interesting thought in his life.

Pic is all you need to know.

Man, being a nihilist must be hard.

No wonder Bret Easton Ellis dislikes him. He even writes like a pseud and degenerate.

I knew DFW was a fucking faggot, but missing the nuances of Ellis's work this hard reassures me that his work is garbage in a way the memes never did. The final irony is that Wallace turned out to be the one that necked himself, I guess. No wonder the critics called Infinite Jest the childish posteuring of a self-aggrandized novelty when it was released.

Dear Bret Easton Ellis,

Stop posting in this thread. Go back to Twitter where you belong.

Best,

Harold "The Magis" Bloom

Man I'm trying to get through this and its kind of a slog. I guess having seen the movie first a while ago ruined some of the better moments

And this is coming from a fag who adores Less Than Zero and The Rules of Attraction

This
You can talk about how its our job to not wallow in nihilism but he sure as fuck lost that fight, after decades of being a fucking pseud fuck
It takes nothing away from his work, but 'do as i say not as i do' is pretty fucking shitty when you're a psued and the option is to neck yourself

Sup Ellis, your books are juvenile trash

Hey, Ellis isn't the only person who likes his work. It could be his mother posting.

love that book. Fantastic.

The amount of metaphorical hand-waving involved in his assessment of Ellis, coupled with the current-year drones of "Veeky Forums" MFA students all displaying an unread copy of Infinite Jest on their shelves with the spine turned to the left so you can see the cover like it's on fucking sale in their living rooms is one way of illustrating why I get hot-headed over people acting like Postmodernism is dead somehow. For real fuck [1] Jordan Petersen but fuck DFW too, before you wash the sheets. I respect the work ethic of both, surely, but how trite can one man be? This criticism literally amounts to
>Fiction should make us feel good
>American Psycho made me feel bad
>Only pseuds are interested in making riddles out of feeling bad
>I want to make twice the riddle out of feeling good
>Oops it didn't work
>Guess it's time to buy rope
>Do as I say, not as I dooooooo
>Wait, what was I even saying again?
>THE SHADOW OF MY SNEAKERS IS INK BLACK [2].

--
1. this post has been deleted and reposted once, correcting a typo originally occurring at this location in the text.
2. choking noises

hey i'm not that guy!

the book is almost divided into the american part and the psycho part. once you get towards the end you may find yourself missing the comfy office antics

Thanks user will keep that in mind

I think David is right, but a lot of those criticisms could be applied to IJ and some of his short stories 2bh

That image appears to contain two sections of a spoken quotation, not the writing of Wallace.

It's a pastiche of quotes from a written interview which can be found here:

dalkeyarchive.com/a-conversation-with-david-foster-wallace-by-larry-mccaffery/

Its a book that emphasizes fantasy violence through the mind of disturbed individual. The whole story is an internal battle between fitting in and destroying the bonds keeping one able to fit in.

They clearly have extremely different views of fiction - DFW sees it as therapy, "CPR" for society, BEE writes to purge himself, and to horrify us (which makes us feel comfy, but also empty)

Idk. If you knew someone who was planning on killing themselves, do you think a BEE novel would be more likely to convince them not to than a DFW novel?

>Ellis's work
>Ellis's

A BEE novel would eradicate someone's faggotry of existentialism for sure. If that one still clinges on his shitty teenage phase then he can feel free to kill himself.