Whats the most umami flavor you have ever tasted?

Whats the most umami flavor you have ever tasted?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savoriness
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid
organicauthority.com/foodie-buzz/the-fifth-flavor-a-brief-history-of-umami-and-msg.html
umami.site/section/stories/discovering-umami-a-history-of-the-fifth-flavor/
umamiinfo.com/what/whatisumami/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Umami

I really like that word.
Umami mamamia!

is that you?

Pure glutamate

ohhh SOMA-CHAN THE UMAMI MMMM *CLOTHS EXPLODE*
RAWR DESU NEE XD

Oyster sauce

A hamburger with aioli, truffle, cheddar and bacon.

A beautiful girls tight pussy after lifting weights together.

OR the time I made nduja carbonara

tomato juice in the sky
heh, yeah I am pretty well traveled and an umami aficionado

*savory
The concept Umami has been proven to be a fraud developed by Japanese food corporations in the 1980's.
Don't be like /tv/, don't be an easily manipulated sheep.

2 year old aged Gouda from grass fed cows.
STFU

Savory means umami. They're interchangeable. What's the big deal?

its his waifu

Tight because your oral game was fucking shit.

Umami was discovered in 1908 tho

Umami is my fave flave.

Occasionally I make some spaghetti with fish sauce, herbs, and parmesan.

Umamimia!

one time I ate an entire container of old bay seasoning. Umami as fuck nigga

No, umami means savory. Savory only means umami if you are fucking Japanese. Don't be a weeb, don't be pretentious, and don't be sheep.

No Umami is specifically protein flavor. Meat is Umami, potatos are not umami. Both are savory.

MSG

Umami (/uˈmɑːmi/), or savory taste, is one of the five basic tastes (together with sweetness, sourness, bitterness, and saltiness).[1] It has been described as brothy or meaty.[2][3]

Eat shit you armchair nutritionist.

>It has been described as brothy or meaty

Yes Umami is a savory taste. It is not all savory tastes.

I have a friend that thinks he's a chef because he worked at a fucking Fazoli's for 6 months and he won't shut the fuck up about things that are umami. Hey bro you should try this sauce, totally umami. This beer has a subtle taste of umami.

Like what the fuck, shut the fuck up already its a made up nonsense word. The next time he uses that word I'm going to punch him right in the mouth.

I would say mushrooms

Shut up, sheep-tard.

Yes sheep are Umami. You are finally learning user!

Holy shit, how bad is your reading comprehension?

Umami, or savory, is one of the five basic tastes. Umami is savory. Savory is umami. Umami is savory in Japanese. Savory is umami in English.

Read a book.

Sasuga.
It's literally a loan word for savory you dip.
Don't try and lecture me on Japanese stuff, I'm a serious oriental scholar not a weeaboo like you

Stock

Savoury refers to a category of non-sweet, non-dessert foods which are any combination of salty, umami, spicy and to an extent bitter.

pringles

umami is such a bad word. it doesn't sound at all like it refers to what it does, whenever I hear it used it's always in the context of "yeah i've heard what that word means it's cool they have a word for it". it's never used just as an actual word

That would be called a cheeseburger, faggot. Don't ever make that mistake again in my presence.

Maybe you should read up on glutamic acid and find out why savory and umami are different. Kikunae Ikeda literally created the term umami to describe the flavor of glutamic acid yet not all savory foods contain high concentrations of glutamic acid. This means that not all savory foods are umami and anyone who says so is wrong.

A bacon mushroom cheeseburger to be exact.

I am going to fuck your tight little MtF hipster asshole you fucking shitlord.

Give me your source, and do not link to any mommy blogger hipster scene teen cook dollar per word buzzfeed article or I swear to christ I won't even lube up before I penetrate your fucking asshole.

Pic related is fucking Merriam-Webster. Here's fucking Dictionary.com.

noun
a strong meaty taste imparted by glutamate and certain other amino acids: often considered to be one of the basic taste sensations along with sweet, sour, bitter, and salty.

Come on. POST YOUR SOURCE. POST IT. AAAAAA.

Savory IS umami. Umami IS savory. Fuck off. Literally every source I have looked at so far has said so. You are literally making this shit up as you go along, you motherfucker.

> I am going to fuck your tight little MtF hipster asshole you fucking shitlord.
Not him, but yes please.

If we're quoting Wikipedia:
>Savoriness (also spelled savouriness) is a quality of food that deals with a rich, salty flavor, as contrasted with sweetness, which is a sugary flavor.
Funny how umami isn't mentioned, but salty is, and the main quality is its contrast with sweet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savoriness

Almost all savory foods can be described as umami and vice versa, but that doesn't make the words synonymous. Some people just like to put things in as precise as possible terms. No need to get triggered by it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid
>In 1908 Japanese researcher Kikunae Ikeda of the Tokyo Imperial University identified brown crystals left behind after the evaporation of a large amount of kombu broth as glutamic acid. These crystals, when tasted, reproduced the ineffable but undeniable flavor he detected in many foods, most especially in seaweed. Professor Ikeda termed this flavor umami.

Maybe you are just bad at finding proper sources?

>heh, yeah I am pretty well traveled and an umami aficionado
nothin personnel, kid

>W-wikipedia is my source!
Wikipedia is not a complete source. Look on the page for Umami. It literally says it is the same as savory. The only reason savory doesn't include the same information is because no one has added it yet.

I quoted three sources, including the English fucking dictionary. Try a new source.

OK, from the dictionary
c :pleasing to the sense of taste especially by reason of effective seasoning
d :pungently flavorful without sweetness

Neither of those are synonymous with umami, which describes a very specific element of savoriness. One way to reconcile the different sources and definitions is to accept that umami describes what is essentially the core essence of savory, when you take away the other elements which are independently defined such as salty, spicy etc. Describing something as umami means you're describing it as savory, but again, that doesn't mean the words are equivalent.

>Try a new source.
OK

organicauthority.com/foodie-buzz/the-fifth-flavor-a-brief-history-of-umami-and-msg.html
>Borrowed from a combination of the Japanese words umai- (delicious) and mi (taste), umami describes the protein-based flavor of glutamates.

umami.site/section/stories/discovering-umami-a-history-of-the-fifth-flavor/
>Ikeda knew he had found the right thing when he tried some small crystals and they tasted like a sour Dashi. What Ikeda had found was glutamate, which is an amino acid that gives Dashi its rich umami flavor. What’s interesting when you taste glutamate by itself is how long the taste lingers on the palate.

umamiinfo.com/what/whatisumami/
>Umami is a general term used mainly for substances combining the amino acid glutamate, and/or the nucleotides inosinate and guanylate, with minerals such as sodium and potassium.*

This shit right here.
>Tomato Concentrate, Red Wine Vinegar, Parmesan, Black Olives, Anchovy Paste (Anchovies, Olive Oil), Sugar, Salt, Garlic, Olive Oil, Suillus Luteus Mushroom Powder, Balsamic Vinegar, Sunflower Oil, Lemon

Post a and b, user. I am not disputing that certain definitions that you've seen don't match. I am disputing that umami does not mean savory.

Umami and savory are both the fifth taste.

Good lord those URLs. Try some that aren't blogger tier.

This product seems like it would take the romance out of rustic cooking and fresh ingredients, without adding the precision of molecular gastronomy like pure MSG does. It's an uncomfortable middle.

>every source that agrees with me is correct and everyone that disagrees is wrong

It's probably due to the fact all the ingredients have their own aroma as well, but this stuff is way better than pure MSG, and I've tried both.

>Post a and b, user.
Not food related, but gladly:
a :piquantly pleasant to the mind a savory triumph
b :morally exemplary

There is nothing to dispute. It's like saying scarlet and red mean the same thing. It has nothing to do with food and everything to do with language - you are struggling with the idea of what a synonym is.

I'm sure it's great judging by the ingredients, it's just that the branding takes the fun out of it.

I'd say La Doubanjiang (chili bean paste)

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SOURCES THAT DISAGREE WITH ME ARE WRONG

fuck off you clown, you know jack shit

Probably fish sauce. But that's salty too.