Why don't we just shoot nuclear waste into the sun?

Why don't we just shoot nuclear waste into the sun?

Attached: IMG_6644.jpg (710x823, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mHtOW-OBO4
youtube.com/watch?v=VzupfyrWiew
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: 1521104643536.jpg (1059x962, 312K)

Not a bad idea

>why no launch dangerous waste into atmosphere on expensive controlled bomb? With higher than 1% of failure
>Why no drop nuclear waste with expensive rock rock
>Why no lanch into big bright furnace????

Attached: brainlet.png (645x729, 105K)

Because ur mom is too heavy.

right now we (sometimes, when were being good) put nuclear waste deep in the Earth's crust in a permanent tomb
which is actually a really good idea even if it's met with a lot of criticism

> 1% chance of failure

Wow it's fucking nothing

I was thinking about this too, but launching stuff is pretty expensive but Spacex is pretty cheap now they would probably be willing to do it.

A better idea though is to just drop it into an open volcano and it will be incinerated and all the radiation particles will be destroyed

1. failed launches
2. offsetting earth's speed to make it hit the sun isn't easy

>all the radiation particles will be destroyed
how exactly?

Because the rocket could possibly fail and explode in Earth's atmosphere

/thread

>drop it into an open volcano and it will be incinerated and all the radiation particles will be destroyed

Attached: e09.png (645x729, 69K)

Better question. Why don't we just collect all garbage and nuclear waste on earth and send it into a black hole?

Why aren't we dropping all trash into volcanoes?

If you're serious, one of the big reasons why we don't burn trash (or throw it into a volcano) is because it pollutes the air
Also I'm sure that dropping shit inside a volcando increases the chances of eruption, but I don't really know if it's true

Because we don't want to turn all trash into CO2, duh.

Of course it's a terrible idea, what happens when moles dig it up, mutate, and now we have a race of radioactive atomic waste worshipping mole-people?

What if it didn't launch and exploded?

Progress requires taking risks

Fuck Florida tbqh

Wont adding mass to a burning star especially as dense as nuclear waste.
Especially radioactive shits.
Chance of collapsing a star
Shortening its lifespan
Chance of setting off solar flare
Chance of going off in atmosphere

why go through all that trouble when you could just dump it in the ocean

1% chance of failure IS HUGE! It's absolutely unacceptable! Imagine if airplanes had a 1% chance of failure. There'd be crashes every single day!

1% is low enough that it will literally never happen to you though. I would board an airplane with 10% failure rate and not break a sweat, it's not like cars are much safer than 1% either.

we're talking 0.0000000000000000000001% the mass of the sun

The mass is literally nothing compared to the mass of the sun

What do you mean? There are already plans to do exactly this in the future

>being this retarded

Launching things into the sun is hard. Like really, really hard

Why send it to the sun? Why dont you just send it far away or to Jupiter.

>Why not launch the heaviest material known to men of which there are millions of tons left into space which has the highest transporting price per kg known to world
>With a risk of spreading entire shit over the half the world during a failure
Really makes you think, huh. It is safer and cheaper to dump that shit openly into ocean than that.

Attached: brainlet.png (230x219, 7K)

10 pounds of uranium is the same as 10 pounds of feathers dumbass everything is the same heaviness

This is bait perfectly crafted just for sci autists.

are you dumb feathers are way lighter

Besides the "reliability" problem, dropping stuff into the Sun is EXTRMEMLY expensive. It's not like we're throwing it "downhill", You have to kill more than 95% of the Earth's orbital velocity and there's never been a rocket which could do that. It's MUCH cheaper (in term of required delta-vee) to throw garbage out of the Solar System entirely.

>Why don't we just shoot nuclear waste into the sun?
Highly cost inefficient payload delivery vehicles are not reliable enough to trust that they wont explode and dump the nuclear waste in the atmosphere

just use on of those rockets the Russians use to bring people to the ISS, those that never fail, not even a single time

yeah but probably still highly cost inefficient. I think sending it into the sun is a great idea, but how many tons can one of those rockets send not just into orbit but out the Earth's well altogether?

Yeah, nice, but how much do 10 pounds of Uranium (or Neptunium which is also one of the waste products) take on volume?
A litre bottle filled with Neptunium will weight 20 kilos. Now tell me how much of those bottles will fill into one container and how many containers you need to launch into space and we can talk.
By looking at how many of those containers with that shit we store enjoy getting them all into space.

>it's not like cars are much safer than 1%
crash rate is 1/303 or 0.33%

sorry i meant fatal car crash rate

Because nuclear waste is not a fucking issue and it would be stupidly expensive.

"literally nothing" adds up quickly desu

im pretty sure like 1% of people die in car crashes yet we transport nuclear waste on trucks

whats your agenda shill?

What ap classes did Veeky Forums take?
I have taken all humanities throughout highschool, along economics and I’m going into physics. My new passion for stem came late, and I’m behind in math.
My schedule for the upcoming fall semester goes
Late start
English 101 / 103 enrolled at community college but at school
Ap stats
Pre-calc
Ap physics B
Ceramics.
Is ap stats a waste of my time? As a physics major should I take ap chem alongside ap physics to start on my sciences?
To clarify I plan to get my AS in mathematics at community then transfer for a physics program elsewhere.
General undergrad prep/ ap thread

Also since I am so behind in math, is a summer program of calc 1 fall calc 2 linear algebra and spring calc 3 differential equations manageable or to much to get into?

Attached: 78EABD36-41AB-4913-A29F-9E775194C2BE.jpg (3264x2448, 1.49M)

Lol what. Look if you really want to do that focus on mastering calc as well as you can and then go ask if you can take a placement test when entering uni. I went from finishing high school without even taking a math class senior year to taking honors calc 3 at my uni by studying my ass off during my gap year.

not bothering to tell you what i took, it depends on what schools you plan on going to and what scores they'll accept
ap stat is a waste of time, almost no school ever takes it

not sure what progression you're talking about for your summer program because you worded it weird
after calc 1, take calc 2 and linear algebra. after those, take calc 3 and diffy q's
and no that isn't a hard load at all, it only gets harder after that

make sure your summer program will actually count at whatever uni you're going to, since i don't think there's an AP calc 3 or AP linear algebra

and yeah you'll want to do it if you want to graduate early or double major with something else

>Let's spend a whole load of money to shoot some of the rarest and most expensive material on earth into the sun.

Great idea OP!

The classes are at community, and it’s working to graduate with an AS in math. Calc 3 linear algebra and diff eq are requiments but that’s really it. Stats isn’t relevant and If it’s not accepted I’m sure I won’t take it then

What resources did you use? I was going to just study for the ap calc ab exam and get at least calc 1 credit

>launch 100 rockets with nuclear waste
>one of those rockets explode, scattering radioactive waste all over a few hundred square miles of area
wow, thank god it was only one rocket

Attached: 1505839561805.png (645x729, 59K)

Sure, if we throw an Earth into the sun once every day it would only take 91 fucking years to increase the mass of the sun by 1%.

Then it can't be recycled. It's throwing away scarce resources.

i mean you'll definitely want to get ahead if you plan on only 2 years of community
also less time spent with faggots who don't know basic math the better

Then don't launch that many, dumbass

>plays the lottery

I don't know about you, but I like the idea of having one of these as a pet

Attached: Mole_rat_FO3.png (1200x800, 761K)

Why would they even launch the one they know is going to fail?

>> yet we transport nuclear waste on trucks
in casks designed to withstand crashes, fire, and motherfucking trains:
youtube.com/watch?v=1mHtOW-OBO4
youtube.com/watch?v=VzupfyrWiew

so lets shoot the trains into space then... its basic stuff if we can shoot a tesla into space we can shoot a train into the sun...

the casks probably wouldn't be able to survive a failed rocket launch. The risk of failure is still too high.

>I would board an airplane with 10% failure rate and not break a sweat

Attached: 1521515121728.jpg (645x773, 141K)