Coffee General- Autism Edition

I just tried sifting my grounds before doing pour over and 15% of the weight was superfine dust. I tossed that and brewed what did not fall through and it's one of the best cups i've ever had.

What a comfy photo

I have no idea what good coffee tastes like.

in the best case scenario it tastes very much like the smell. the problem is that there are so many variables that without extreme precision, it would be impossible to reach the full potential of flavor.

What's the least-worse coffee beans I can buy from a supermarket?
I need to save a bit money, so I can't justify spending more on a roaster's beans.

just don't drink coffee then

I'm not even being sarcastic. If you can't afford things that you don't need to live then you shouldn't be buying them. I stopped drinking coffee throughout all of college because I couldn't afford it. Now I can. Someday you will too.

I can afford it, I just wanted to save a little money to buy something else. I didn't think supermarket coffee would be that bad.

it's real bad

Tasters choice is good

get a non-shit grinder. the time you save will pay for itself

>instant

yeah. i know. in the works. the grinder i have now isn't terrible it's just that i've been using the burrs for many years. looking into the virtuoso

LOL

i just drink folgers and get another can when its on sale. inbetween i get whatever is the cheapest. ive had high end coffee and can't taste the difference unless it's truly those Meme Beans that taste more like red wine than coffee

coffee is delicious and its great fun to be That Guy who asks for a latte and a shot of irish cream and spiced rum each on the side in a bar before you start getting plastered on cheap beer like everyone else, but coffee snobbery about brands and grinding it fresh etc. is a shitty meme

when i was still living at home, i got my dad a grinder and a bag of fresh beans and even that, it tasted a bit more rich but it wasn't fundamentally different from the freeze dried stuff we normally drank

none of them are bad and if youre a beggar you cant be a chooser anyway

unless you're getting shit ground, all freeze dried coffee in a can is basically the same.

as someone who needs to have a drink in hand constantly, even if a non-alcoholic one, coffee is probably the cheapest thing you can drink. it's daunting at 10 bucks a can, but a can will last you like two months. compare that to a carton of juice that you can smash in a night of gaming ezpz

You are such a stupid asshole I don't even know where to begin. Don't give advice when you clearly have no idea what the fuck you're talking

I gave up on making good coffee awhile ago. I now use instant coffee.

Why do people who have no interest in culinary spend time on a food board?

Get a proper grinder

You can get a used commercial grinder on ebay for the price of a new virtuoso. Also go and talk to cafes or restaurants that are closing down, I know many people who buy their coffee gear like that or from auctions of bankrupt businesses. We're talking 1/10 of what you'd pay for it new.

What baffles me is how people who are totally clueless can sound so authoritative on subjects they actually know nothing about.

samefag harder shithead. coffee is good but there's very little difference between a 10$ can of freeze-dried folgers and a 45$ bag of beans from your local hipster market

Not worth it. Buy coffee beans online. Many roasters operate purely internet-based businesses to save on costs and that means you can get things very near the price you would at the supermarket. Think $5 for a half pound bag and the quality will be completely incomparable.

Coffee is actually one of the few things you can do well and cheap if you're smart about it. A hand-grinder, moka-pot, v60 and packet of v60 filters will cost you $40 in total (a one time expense)

If you drink a cup of pour-over per day for every single day of the month you'll need about $15 a month on high-quality beans, which works out at 50 cents a cup when a cup of good coffee costs more than a dollar or two depending on where you live (and I mean comparably good coffee not McDonalds coffee and only hipster third-wave coffee shops will be able to compare to your coffee). Pour-over also requires very little technique.

The most important thing for you to do is save up money (we're talking between $50-$100 depending on how lucky you get on ebay) to buy a commercial quality grinder. They're super heavy-duty, fool-proof and you will never need an upgrade in terms of grind quality.

Look for Mazzer, Fiorenzato, Macap, Eureka, NS, Iberital

It should look something like pic-related. Ideally without a doser, but you won't find that cheaply.

>there's very little difference between a 10$ can of freeze-dried folgers and a 45$ bag of beans

( here) I think you and I once had a row on here two years ago when you said the exact same thing and everyone told you you are a retard. You won't trigger me this time/

my favorite coffee is the mcdonald's coffee

it's just so tasty. i get a Large with 6 creams

it's perfectly rounded, smooth, and never bitter!!

Why would I ask for beans if I didn't have the equipment to grind and brew said beans?

So you own a commercial-grade grinder and are opting to buy super-market beans instead?

Anyway, my post was aimed more at the OP who finds dust in his grounds. That simply wouldn't happen with a good grinder.

What does Veeky Forums think of aeropresses? I'm late to party in terms of using them, but having bought one a month ago, I'm not particularly impressed.

My greatest complaint is that, unless you inversion brew, there seems to be an initial drip through of underextracted (or perhaps over? the water that saturated the grinds) coffee that is particularly astringent. When you brew inverted it's closer to a french press, albeit with better filtration, and probably a bit more control.

Am I missing something? If anyone has some general brew guidelines I have some wash Ethiopian coffee, and some Salvadorian coffee, in the house.

no clue why you're claiming it's one person when every coffee thread has the same bait argument with a million replies

why are you still pushing this argument. you believe there's no difference, then get out of the thread. if you can't tell the difference, you've never actually had fresh coffee. unless you got it roast to order from a third wave roaster, it's shit. it's stale and has been sitting in a storage room for half a year. coffee is basically trash after a month from being roasted. within 2 weeks of being roasted is the ideal period. even the nicer widely distributed brands like counter culture and etc are stale shit if you buy them from a grocery store like whole foods.

Buy green beans in bulk and an air roaster on ebay or amazon. Practice for a while and roast your own beans! Ever since I started doing this I went from spending 30$ a month on nice beans to like 6$ a month, without a noticeable drop in quality

I only use mine inverted. I put in 17 grams of coffee and then fill it up to cover the grounds and stir to pre infuse. then i fill it to the top. Wait 1 minute then screw on filter. flip it over onto a mug and slowly plunge. If the aeropress does one thing right, it is producing a perfectly adequate cup of coffee in the least time possible. perfect for when you have no time in the morning before leaving. i only use mine when i'm on a time constraint or feeling lazy

>Freeze dried folgers from a can tastes the same as sourced coffee
What brand of bleach did your parents put in your baby formula to make you lose all your taste buds user?

I'm looking at ordering a Gina Coffee Brewer. Right now my setup is a V60 with Acaia scale but I like the idea of having a brewer where I can do immersion tea on as well.

You'd be surprised. Taster's Choice isn't bad.

>Kickstarter anything

fuck that

this is just as retarded as claiming there is no difference between the cheapest bosnian swill and a fine burgundy from France.

You are a literal retard

>You are a literal retard
While he is indeed an idiot, that phrase is also pretty stupid and wrong so please stop using it.

>Gina Coffee Brewer.
How much does it cost?

5 minutes until an argument about this post throws this thread over the edge

8 o'clock 100% Columbian are my fav cheap grocery store beans

too much

I know we're talking about supermarket beans, but the best supermarket pre-ground espresso is pic-related IMO

Yeah agreed but they are coming out of Kickstarter now so I'm going to wait until you can order directly from their website so I know I don't get ripped off.

Supermarket beans as a general rule are all garbage. If you have a Trader Joes or Whole Foods close, their store brands are dramatically better than mass market beans. As another user said 8 o'clock isn't horrible either.

You're getting ripped of either way m8.

Anyone tried Lavazza coffee? Was it good?

Tell me how you french press, autists.
Thanks in advance.

Jesus Christ

I opened the thread at home and then opened it in the underground subway and that reply wasn't loaded yet :>

Grind beams
Put beam ground in press french
Put hot water in top
Put top of press french
Wait 300 seconds
Press the french
Pour and emjoy

ideally you don't. it takes a serious grinder to get even remotely even coarse ground coffee without tons of dust. and then at that point it is still one of the worst methods of brewing coffee. always dust in the cup. poor uneven extraction. makes no sense to do it that way when better things are available.

What is the most convenient and good way, Moka pot?

Not him, but for me yes definitely. I own all commercial grade grinder and espresso machine and I'd still happily drink coffee made with a good hand grinder and a moka pot. The resulting brew is actually somewhere between an espresso and a french press/pour-over and is quite addictive. Espresso has a flavour that is hard to replicate and the same is true for the moka pot in its own way.

It's also super convenient, you don't even need to wash it just take apart, rinse it and let it dry disassembled until the next time.

Which coffee roasters are the best in the USA?

Whoever's local that you can buy beans from that are only days old

I understood. But can there be any famous roast with a wide choice of grain and guaranteeing quality?

>wide choice of grain
Not really necessary. As long as they have 4-5 Americas varieties and another 4-5 of assorted Asian and African ones you'll be fine. Also the smaller the business the easier it is to talk to them and ask for advice regarding what to buy etc.

>beams
>emjoy
>Press the french

You don't ground your own beams for pressing french?

>electric pour over
Isn't this just a drip machine?

Will Blue Bottle's quality eventually suffer now that they're owned by Nestle?

Whatever you enjoy the most.
Wine and coffee snobs will get the rope.

What are good entry-level pump espresso machine brands?

do you even have taste buds?

Ah! An user of taste!

I love McDonald's coffee holy shit.

>large
>7 cream
>4 sugar

[spoiler] sausage mcmuffin, hash browns[/spoiler]

What coffee maker should I get if I only want one cup 99% of the time?

Right now I have a normal drip coffee maker, I make about 4 cups at a time and then they get cold and I have to warm it in the microwave so it tastes like shit

Why aren't there machines where you just press a button that don't cost a fortune?

50ml Moka pot

that's a ton of work for some coffee. I'm looking for the opposite

French press

Cheap capsule coffee machine

HAHAHA Susan you animal xD i'll remember to buy this for Dad for christmas LOL say hi to John and the kids for me! xoxoxo love Carol and Greg

I enjoyed using a Moka pot for a while, but it does brew at a really high temperature and make really strong and bitter coffee. It's not actually espresso, but it's not normal coffee. The main issue with these things is the fact that if you skip using it for one day you have to brew coffee in it to clean it and then make a new batch to drink or it will taste like shit. You also have to run tons of coffee through one when you first get it before it stops tasting like shit. Then once it is seasoned it still kindof tastes like shit.
Aeropress is the most convenient way to make coffee. Pour over gives more control but is less convenient. Aeropress corrects everything wrong with the french press. As long as you use it the inverted way, you're golden.

coffee snobs aren't as bad as wine snobs at all. People need to understand that coffee is like produce. It is rapidly going bad. Just because you're willing to choke down bitter filth, doesn't mean that's the right way.

go back to your containment hole plz

Aeropress definitely. Absolutely the fastest way. Get a Zojirushi hot water boiler and keep it filled at all times. You'll never have to spend more than 5 minutes making coffee.

See here:

Blue Bottle is finished in my eyes. Their beans cost more than better roasters and their locations aren't enjoyable to visit.

Does ANYBODY know a good grind and brew that will last longer than a year and is a 12 cup? My second Cuisenart just shit the bed and though it's under warranty I don't want another one.

any device that does that much in the consumer price point is designed to break.

get a baratza encore for a grinder.

same user from yesterday. my cold brew after 22 hours. how does it look now?

Looks less shitty than the other stuff in your fridge at least

> it does brew at a really high temperature and make really strong and bitter coffee
That's not necessary, there's a right way to doing it without burning the coffee. You fill the bottom half with water and let it on the stove until it starts boiling, then using a towel or an oven mitt you assemble the moka pot and put it back on the stove and 30-60 seconds later your coffee comes pouring out. That way the coffee grinds don't get exposed to the heat for more than a few seconds and turn bitter. It also requires a coarser grind than even french press, because otherwise you'll get bitterness from the overextracted fine grounds. So actually you can get really sweet and mellow coffee with an almost caramel flavour (provided you're using a good variety) on the Moka Pot.

>The main issue with these things is the fact that if you skip using it for one day you have to brew coffee in it to clean it and then make a new batch to drink or it will taste like shit.
No you don't lol. You just disassemble it and rinse it with water every time you make coffee. It's not that hard to remember.

>Then once it is seasoned it still kindof tastes like shit.
That's because you don't know how to make coffee.

>baratza encore
Not worth it. Can't properly grind for espresso. You can get a used Super Jolly for that money.

Remember to shake it around every now and again. Don't just let it sit like that for the full 24 hours because otherwise the dust and finer grounds create a layer between the liquid and the heavier grounds that are the bulk of your coffee in there.

>preground espresso

i drained it like twice. do i still have to do this?

the guy wants an automatic drip brewing system. and if you're in need of a grinder for espresso you're in a totally different game. even the virtuoso is barely good enough for espresso. hardly anyone has an espresso machine and those that do have such shitty ones that they shouldn't have bothered in the first place

Everyone seems to claim these commercial grinders are always for sale somewhere for no money. Why do I never seen them? Everyone on craigslist in my area charges barely less than retail for Bunn grinders and etc. Not to mention almost nobody wants something that large on their counter regardless of how much space they have.

Used Super Jollies go for between £120-150 in the UK, same price as a new Baratza. Just need to look harder I guess. Sometimes you can get excellent sub £100 deals but those only pop up once every few months and it's usually someone who doesn't know what they're selling.

Bunns cost almost a grand a half new and are hardcore heavy-duty commercial machines for hotels and big restaurants/diners that last a life time so of course they're gonna be pricey. Unless you're planning to make tons of filter coffee or cold-brew there's no reason for you to get one. Also, their replacement burrs cost $400, the price of a new commercial espresso grinder. Look up the brands that have been recommended ITT.

My bad, thought he was talking about bean-to-cup espresso machines. In that case a fast kettle, a baratza or used Rancilio Rocky/Gaggia MDF and a V60 will do him fine, it literally takes minutes to make coffee this way, dunno how anyone can't afford the five minutes it takes to weigh and grind the coffee while the kettle is boiling and the two minutes it takes to brew.

cont'd.

For point of comparison, Bunn FPG grinders have 81(!!) mm burrs compared to those of commercial espresso grinders like the Super Jolly and its peers that are in the 50-70mm range. The idea is that the bigger the burrs the more coffee they can handle and the longer they last. AFAIK the warranty on Bunn burrs lasts for "3 years or 30,000 pounds of coffee, whichever comes first" meaning they are seriously heavy-duty machines that you don't need unless you find some freak-deal.

>tfw buy an average coffee from a cafe, and the mediocrity of it stings even more because I know that I could do better myself if they let me use the machine.

If only I had space for my own machine I'd get one in a heartbeat.

>find moka pot in basement
>scrub clean
>put water in it
>heat to clean
>handle melts off
>plastic in the air
>choking
>eyes watering
how retarded am i

jesus why

I'm ready to graduate from an aeropress
What do i buy next?

v60, chemex, or kalita wave

is french press endgame or is a hario v60 drip coffee good enough?