What cutting board do you use?

What cutting board do you use?

Pic related is mine, I made it out of scrap maple and walnut.

Other urls found in this thread:

ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00233429/
webstaurantstore.com/3053/cutting-boards.html?filter=style:flexible
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is it a bunch of little pieces glued together?

No, they grow it that way.

I'll tell you how. Imagine putting together long pieces in alternating colors and glueing them together until the equal the size you want. Now imagine cutting them across about and inch thick and moving each segment up about an inch so that it looks like a checker. Then glue the newly cut inch thick segments and cut off the ends.

i think i get it

Yeah, it's all held together with glue.

It's just wood, glue and four pieces of rubber to elevate it from the countertop.

How do I know that the glue isn't bad for you

How heavy is it?
Not sure I approve of the rubber feet- means you can't flip it. I guess without them it would be difficult to pick up off the counter top.

Not if you put a wet rag under it to stop it from moving/picking it up.
Either way, looks fucking fantastic op, would but at my local chef outlet $140. Cdn

you do not eat the glue it holds the wood bits together

oh I see

I weighed it at 11.4 lbs. It's about 2 inches thick.

I can flip it if I want. I just have to peel the rubber feet off and stick new ones on the other side. Don't know why I would ever flip it though. They can't be exposed to moisture for too long because the grain wicks up moisture, which can spell disaster if it's sitting flat on a puddle of water and has no airspace around it to dry. As nice as these end grain cutting boards are to cut on they do need some special handling.

I think it's beautiful!
Great job Desu!

It's literally food grade glue and completely non toxic. No one freaks out when kids eat elmer's glue.

lol you fucking fag i saw you post this shit months ago

This. OP just can't help himself and needs to brag about his homemade cutting board every few months

i mean, it does look pretty cool though.
i want to see a picture of how it's been holding up, if at all. timestamped bitch

nah fuck you both this thread is relevant as shit and OP's OC is fine

>I cut on garbage plastic because I live with 5 people who while I like very much, are college aged dudes who don't cook and therefore would not respect any nice equipment. I already have to re-season my cast irons once every few weeks

I just use an el cheapo cutting board made of bamboo I got from Big Lots.

>It's literally food grade glue
I doubt it would be strong enough for this.

You got me.

Though this is the first time I've posted the cutting board since back when I made it about 8 months ago.

Anyways, cutting board thread.

ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00233429/

got a medium sized plastic el cheapo one that i use for chicken

who else /poverty/ here?

A plastic board, fuck wood. When spices mess it up I just bleach it, good as new.

I've seen this fucking thread in like 2015

mah nigga

fuckin awesome

nothing wrong with that

Very nice.

So what?
Better than a fucking fast food thread you chiseller.

wet rag is a good protip but is it really advisable for use with a wooden cutting board?

>diy end-grain cutting board

I approve this thread!

>tfw still waiting for my cherry logs to season before I can start a butcher's block table and cutting board

What Tightbond did you use? I'm thinking 3 for the cutting board and 2 for the table.

You should use an anti-skip foam rubber mesh. Most dollar stores in the USA sell it in big rolls for super cheap. Just cut it to size. You can wash them separately too.

There's an user who makes these and auctions/raffles them for charity or something. I've not seen him post in...years?

I have a JK Adams end grain butchers block. I just bought some beeswax to make Chef John canelés recently. heated some 1:4 with mineral oil and am going to use that to condition it from now on.

Until I make my own eng-grain cutting boards, I'm using these thin flexible cutting boards with this stuff under it. They are actually really nice because you can curl it up to pour the chopped up stuff into whatever container.

webstaurantstore.com/3053/cutting-boards.html?filter=style:flexible

Titebond 3. It's the most waterproof titebond but I have no doubt Titebond 2 would also have worked.

Noted.

This is mine. I made it a year and a half ago. It works fine but I’m thinking about making a bigger and better one at Christmas break.

Been using this bad boy for 10 years.

What type of wood?

You guys should soak the wood in sea salt for a few days before making it into a cutting board.

It makes the wood much more water resistant and it also kills a good number of bacteria by itself (although never a substitute for soap).

i use the two that i got as graduation presents this past spring (yes my family is pretty poor before anyone asks; parents make under 50k combined and i just told them i wanted something that would be useful when i moved out)

muh nigga. I've got this same board along with three plastics and a medium sized bamboo board.

That knife looks pretty damn dull.

Are there any difference between a wooden and a plastic cutting board?
I've been using a wooden cutting board for about 2 years now and the sides has rotted a bit but I still use it because it works.

Plastic is dishwasher safe and can be sterilized

Wood looks nice.

You are supposed to keep the cutting board dry and oiled/waxed. A thick wood cutting board can be passed down through generations in the family.

i think it's some dried food stuck on the edge

that top one is very nice looking

thanks, it's definitely the one i use more often. that one is solid walnut and the other is walnut with maple checkerboard accents

wood is more antiseptic. proven in studies. the cell structure or something stops bacterial colonization. wood rules, plastic drools.

Very nice user ... keep them well oiled, with mineral or linseed oil and never store them while still wet and they will last you the rest of your life.

But ... TWO cutting boards that don't even match? One good board, a cheap plastic one for chicken and the rest spent on something else, like a decent knife or a whetstone might have made more sense ...

I wouldn't use that board any more, user. No idea what that black really stuff is, but mold and fungus do form carcinogenous substances, and they spread tons of spores, into the air you breathe for instance..