Determinism

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

If the spin, charge, and momentum of a particle is deterministic (ie. its motions can be predicted based on a constant set of rules) then everything that particles compose are necessarily deterministic. If the functions of a brain are the result of a physical interaction between particles, it too is deterministic. Free will is impossible as every decision is an illusory effect of the deterministic constituents of the brain.

Attached: brain-machine-interface[1].jpg (74 KB, 800x375)

JunkTop
JunkTop

I don't understand the philosophical impact of the entire free will thing.

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

Are you a "man" in the classical sense? Or are you a biological machine that functions as a "man"?

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

Free will
Is there a more midwit topic?

New_Cliche
New_Cliche

My will is indeed a result of my brain and body functions. The idea that my will is an actor outside of physical laws and boundaries appears to me to be more a religious and philosophical thing

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

Than

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

Probabilistic particle interactions affecting your decisions doesn't give you some magical "free will" either

farquit
farquit

It's not like you can grasp it in your mind or adequately model it so who gives a shit. You're too simple to do so, it has no affect on you, you are no different to what everything always was and is.

w8t4u
w8t4u

This. We perceive our lives as ones governed by free will so who gives a shit.

askme
askme

just call it volition or agency instead of free will then

Methnerd
Methnerd

Whoa man, it's like we're all just big chemicals man, but like we're also all the same chemical bro so we should be bros bro, you know?

King_Martha
King_Martha

If we don't have free will, then all behavior can be controlled through genetic engineering and environmental control. Instead of calling criminals and dictators evil, we'll know that they are just a product of the many factors in their lives.

5mileys
5mileys

Determinism has nothing to do with free will. It should make sense that a person makes the same choice when presented with the same situation, every choice you make is determined exactly by your prior experiences. Would you rather that choices you make are probabilistic rather than being a result of your prior experiences? Why would probabilistic choice imply free will while determinism imply no free will?

takes2long
takes2long

. Instead of calling criminals and dictators evil, we'll know that they are just a product of the many factors in their lives.
Any non-retard knows that "Justice" is a concept that simply serves to stabilize society. A dictator or criminal is, unfortunately, no more reponsible for his or her genetic makeup, upbringing and subsequent life decisions than any other person.
By that definition of free will, a computer program possesses agency.

likme
likme

There is no meaningful definition of free will

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

This

Poker_Star
Poker_Star

What a dimwit. Free will doesn't exist regardless of determinism (which might not be right). Stop making this retarded thread every week determifaggot

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

determinism therefore a computer can't evaluate a statement

TreeEater
TreeEater

If your choices were probabilistic, then each choice you make would be chosen through probabilistic means, which means you would not actually be in control

Skullbone
Skullbone

Now you are in an even worse argumentative position since both determinism and its logical negation don't allow you to make any simple choice

SniperGod
SniperGod

Exactly, there are no real implications regarding free will in determinism. You either believe the universe, be it deterministic or probabilistic, follows some consistent rules (so there's no "magic" free will i.e. the ability to change the future) or you don't (anything's allowed and science is a waste of effort).

Better to work with a definition of free will that actually makes sense for brains made of physical stuff in a self-consistent universe rather than metaphysical stuff in a meaningless one. And yes , that means admitting that computer programs can possess it as much as a human brain can.

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

learn to read faggot

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit