Determinism

If the spin, charge, and momentum of a particle is deterministic (ie. its motions can be predicted based on a constant set of rules) then everything that particles compose are necessarily deterministic. If the functions of a brain are the result of a physical interaction between particles, it too is deterministic. Free will is impossible as every decision is an illusory effect of the deterministic constituents of the brain.

Attached: brain-machine-interface[1].jpg (800x375, 74K)

I don't understand the philosophical impact of the entire free will thing.

Are you a "man" in the classical sense? Or are you a biological machine that functions as a "man"?

>Free will
Is there a more midwit topic?

My will is indeed a result of my brain and body functions. The idea that my will is an actor outside of physical laws and boundaries appears to me to be more a religious and philosophical thing

Than

Probabilistic particle interactions affecting your decisions doesn't give you some magical "free will" either

It's not like you can grasp it in your mind or adequately model it so who gives a shit. You're too simple to do so, it has no affect on you, you are no different to what everything always was and is.

This. We perceive our lives as ones governed by free will so who gives a shit.

just call it volition or agency instead of free will then

Whoa man, it's like we're all just big chemicals man, but like we're also all the same chemical bro so we should be bros bro, you know?

If we don't have free will, then all behavior can be controlled through genetic engineering and environmental control. Instead of calling criminals and dictators evil, we'll know that they are just a product of the many factors in their lives.

Determinism has nothing to do with free will. It should make sense that a person makes the same choice when presented with the same situation, every choice you make is determined exactly by your prior experiences. Would you rather that choices you make are probabilistic rather than being a result of your prior experiences? Why would probabilistic choice imply free will while determinism imply no free will?

>. Instead of calling criminals and dictators evil, we'll know that they are just a product of the many factors in their lives.
Any non-retard knows that "Justice" is a concept that simply serves to stabilize society. A dictator or criminal is, unfortunately, no more reponsible for his or her genetic makeup, upbringing and subsequent life decisions than any other person.
By that definition of free will, a computer program possesses agency.

There is no meaningful definition of free will

This

What a dimwit. Free will doesn't exist regardless of determinism (which might not be right). Stop making this retarded thread every week determifaggot

>determinism therefore a computer can't evaluate a statement

If your choices were probabilistic, then each choice you make would be chosen through probabilistic means, which means you would not actually be in control

Now you are in an even worse argumentative position since both determinism and its logical negation don't allow you to make any simple choice

Exactly, there are no real implications regarding free will in determinism. You either believe the universe, be it deterministic or probabilistic, follows some consistent rules (so there's no "magic" free will i.e. the ability to change the future) or you don't (anything's allowed and science is a waste of effort).

Better to work with a definition of free will that actually makes sense for brains made of physical stuff in a self-consistent universe rather than metaphysical stuff in a meaningless one. And yes , that means admitting that computer programs can possess it as much as a human brain can.

learn to read faggot