I just graduated with a BA in English. I have no debt. My professor, a prominent poet...

I just graduated with a BA in English. I have no debt. My professor, a prominent poet, has encouraged me to apply to NYU and the New School for an MFA in poetry. I have no prospects other than that. I have applied to $30k jobs in three universities. My gf wants to break up with me because I'm not long-term material. I have nothing to do while waiting to hear back about interviews. Reading doesn't interest me. I feel my life is going nowhere and think about suicide regularly. Don't fall for the Veeky Forums meme.

Sorry that this isn't a literature post. I just shitpost here all the time and wanna say something real for once.

>I have no debt.

Has to be nice being rich.

>Don't fall for the Veeky Forums meme.
I am slowly realising this.

we have the same car keys. mine are slowly breaking and it's going to cost 100 dollars or more to repair. More importantly though dont expect to make any money doing poetry and shit and definitely dont go to grad school for arts. Pick up a practical career and with that skill on hand you'll be more impressive in the long run. Don't put all your eggs in one basket as they say.

Why exactly should we pity you again? No debt, about to be single, a chance to hide away in academia? Millenial men sure are faggots.

thats a Honda car key

thanks for the practical advice. btw are you welder-user?
no pity f a m, just wanted to say something. thanks for responding your comment made me laugh at myself

Kek
What's the Veeky Forums meme, anyway? Is it just the idea that this is a rewarding path to walk on? Cause I don't imagine that too many people fail to understand it's hard to make money doing lit.

i think the lit meme is that reading the classics will make you a more compassionate, nuanced, understanding person, as well as more intellectual. so lit should be rewarding in itself. but honestly i'm starting to wonder if the opportunity costs of devoting oneself to literature are too high

ive been living the Veeky Forums life for years and i've never been happier. currently deep into poststructuralism and occult lit. i only have three friends but that is enough. you are either a brainlet or a pseud who never really liked to read. stop doubting the authenticity of others just because you have failed yourself

You're on the right track. No, the opportunity costs are not too high. If you spend a quarter of the time "doing lit" -- reading classics, philosophy, writing fucking poetry, whatever -- as the average person spends watching or thinking about sports, you will be practically a god.

You're not going to become an immortal of letters that way, but accepting that is part of your intellectual journey. That doesn't mean classical knowledge is useless, just like there are benefits to learning martial arts even if you don't become a professional fighter.

OP here. i don't doubt your authenticity friend, i just... think lit isn't as personally rewarding as the meme says it is. despite being a careful reader and a passable writer, i still feel gaping holes in my life that can only be filled with socializing, politics, exercise, relationships, etc., and yes, even having a good / respected job.

the problem isn't that i don't understand literature. the problem is, it just feels kinda empty right now. to each his own.

hey op, relax bud. fuck your gf desu. she sounds like a dumb cunt. other fish in the sea m8. you are going to die one day. life is short. you are young with no responsibilities. dont be a pussy and see this as a bad thing. fuck having prospects. you dont need to think about that shit yet. if you cant stand on your own now, you need to learn to.

>currently deep into poststructuralism and occult lit
So you're wasting your time is what you're saying

Hmm... if people have come to think that there's something non-lit about engaging in socializing, relationships, politics, and so on... then something must have gone wrong. Not all of the great writers of times past were ascetic intellectuals devoting all their energy to books. Many were deeply engaged in friendships, love affairs, and politics. It's true that for some reason, nowadays there seem to be fewer "badass writers" than there used to be. We don't seem to have many of those Jack London, George Orwell types. Whether there really are fewer of them or not, I don't know.

never change Veeky Forums

>he drives a Civic

it could be an accord bro

n-nah ah

I'll never understand why someone doesn't major in something useful and just study lit in their free time.

t. Law student

>useful
>law school
WEW

Lol my law school has a 97% employment rate and the average starting salary in the private sector is $170k

Sorry you got meme'd and studied literature

Same here, only I graduated with a BS in Biochemistry and have no gf. Instead of three university jobs I applied to a bunch everywhere. I managed to secure 1 interview, but it's for a part-time job that doesn't pay much.

Not knowing what to do with your life is shit, desu. Maybe I'll write a book about it someday.

>My gf wants to break up with me because I'm not long-term material.

dump her first. The only relationship that really works is the one where the women feels like she's punching above her weight

You do know studying lit doesn't preclude one from attending law school, yes? To juxtapose the two is odd.

You don't read? BA in lit means fuck all. Get a job as a dishwasher

OP, listen to this man

Poetry is a waste of time if you're a white male in 2017.

The best you can hope to achieve is Ben Lerner status, i.e. making a name by portraying yourself as a self-hating SJW cuck and moving onto novel-writing ASAP.

No shit, me too. There's no money in literature unless you go full cuck and spend your life touring your book to obscure regional libraries and promoting yourself on twitter.

The best thing a mostly straight white male can do in 2017 is to write something, format it themselves (make it presentable etc) and post it on Veeky Forums in the hope it becomes a meme for like 15 days.

HUR DUR I EARN LOTSA MONEY MORE DAN U HEHEE HAHA HOOHOO I WORK LONG HOURS BECAUSE I *LOVE* DIS COUNTRY AND I LOVE BEING A LAWYER WITH NO TIME 2 READ OR WRITE HEHE HOOHOO BETTA DAN U

Meanwhile I'm a NEET waking at noon, spending much of my day in peaceful contemplation of the universe (interior and exterior) and then spending my evenings taking a slow stroll and writing a few more pages of my epic tome. It literally sucks to be you.

I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.

How could somebody possibly fall for this meme? Study literature in your own time. There are university resources and you can even pay for grading as you need it.

I'm an electrician and make fantastic money.

He was e-statting. He didn't even know you go to law school after undergrad. He's 19.

nice blog post dumbass

this is the gayest post ive read all morning

good for u user.

>using poetry as a particular means to achieving the nebulous notion of American "success"
>not using poetry as an escape from this way of looking at life entirely

dude, come on

>wanting to work in a Wendy's at the age of 36 and have 5 people read your poetry because "muh purity of expression"

Kill yourself right now. Do it.

You have no idea what's coming for you.

You have no regrets yet.

Spoken like a truly resentful untermensch. How I pity you.

op so you're only 22? you've seen nothing yet. i mean there is of course more than enough misery to go around, but if you're thinking of heading for the exit already, i'm sorry. try taking up alcoholism. it'll keep you around for maybe just enough time to find a purpose.

Yet you are on an anonymous anime board bragging about yourself :(

i'll be the one to mention this is pasta

This guy is right. Also, if things do end with your gf, I live in the NY area and I would consider going on a few dates with you. I'd be down to exchange information too.

Get a job, while you wait for your "real" job. Bartend, coffee tend or manual labor. Gain perspective and unlearn most of the shit that you learned at the university.

>starting to wonder
Now your starting to wonder? Wat the fuck is wrong with you people

Somethings wrong here, Biochem and only one interview? third class school, bad grades, set bar to high? Whats the rest of the story

agree

Join the military

Why do you think you deserve a non-entry level job just because you read some books and wrote some high-school tier essays, OP? I got my degree in mechanical engineering and still managed to read a good portion of the canon; I'd say I'm more well-read than most Veeky Forums majors.

I will lay it out for you: there is a reason nobody respects people who major in literature and art. The curricula have no rigor and do not teach you to think critically, but to a standard. Literature classes were literally my go-to when I needed to boost my GPA from taking real math/science classes.

You deserve your current situation for lowering university standards and raising the cost of tuition for people who actually want to learn something useful.

Engineers are the most insufferable, arrogant fucks of all. Not surprising since our society has done nothing but push STEM on students at the cost of humanities for the past century

Biochem and biology positions are actually really scant. the degrees are oversaturated because they are the "easy" degrees for people interested in medschool. And then plenty of students change their mind about med school or get rejected and have to look for work with just their BS

You should have your throat slit.
t. currently work in financial services and studied engineering

I'm not saying the humanities are worthless, but in an age where books are cheap as dirt and one can freely access high-quality essays online, there is no need for these things to be taught at university. Humanities majors are just reminders of a time when university was exclusively for the upper class who didn't need to study practical things. Now, humanities majors are just a way to suck money out of people too retarded or lazy for STEM who still think "I must go to university".

>College major thread
B.S. computer science 60k a year I'm 23 years old. Just to let everyone know how well I'm doing like everyone in this thread.

Agree about Biology but not Biochem. what's the real reason.

studied lit in undergrad, impressed a rich banker at a social event once because i could recite some lines of shakespeare, got a high finance job out of undergrad for 120k; 3 year later making 300k+ at a hedge fund

fall for the Veeky Forums meme guys

There's plenty of jobs, the problem is I don't have much experience outside of volunteering. I also technically don't have my physical degree yet, which apparently matters for some places.

I've also only been looking locally. If shit really hits the fan then I can look elsewhere

Is law school a meme?

University is a meme.

yeah i find humanities academia so fucking boring, foucault is one of my favorite "authors" but seeing someone has the job of "major foucault scholar" just fucking deadened my soul a little, academia is just shit, get some skills and do something useful in private industry

>anyone who majors in English

>anyone majoring in liberal arts/humanities

>mfw they expect a job with a Bachelors

>long-term material
if she's actually said this she needs to be D R O P P E D. if opportunities for real love inhere in the current century at all you should, as a poet, be impelled to find them

Not if you want to be a lawyer.

It's not something you do just because you have nothing else to do with your life, if that's what you're asking.

don't go to the new school, it's a meme

>I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.
I remember this pasta

Prove