>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killing_Star
forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1147&t=1817872
scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/86090/help-me-identify-this-book-that-uses-cloning-for-space-travel
goodreads.com/topic/show/1815279-solved-sci-fi-book-about-space-travel-via-cloning-reconstruction-s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Repeating my question if anyone could help me identify either of these books:

1. A group of a couple dozen children are on a ship with a robotic nursemaid. It is revealed that humanity was wiped out by unknown enemies but a small part was saved by an advanced alien race. The aliens have put these children on the ship and sent them off to exact revenge for the murder of humankind. It features technology such as a boobytrap that turns their scouts into antimatter versions of themselves and manipulating matter by "hacking" the rules underlying subatomic force carrier particles.

2. Five or so people are chosen to be copied into hundreds of clone bodies and placed upon dozens of ships, each going to a different star. All of the clones based on one man go insane except the protagonist. On their destination planet the protagonist finds several golden towers with technological gifts from unknown aliens, including a transparent spacesuit and a small golden faster than light ship. It turns out that different aliens in starfish-shaped ships are following the first set and destroying any civilization which receives the gifts. The protagonist unwittingly uses the gift ship to return to earth which results in the starfish aliens following and destroying the solar system. He escapes with the original of one of his former crewmates and they embark on a journey to figure out why all this is happening and how it can be stopped.

If you can remember some exact phrases from the books you can use google search operators to get the books in a blink of an eye if they are in the google books database.

Unfortunately it's been many years for both. No luck on tvtropes searches either.

Finished book one of Dune.

Should I read the appendix entries before or after I finish the book?

after, I guess

The first one is anvil of something by Greg Bear I bet. Both of them remind me of a trilogy by Linda Nagata that begins with the bohr maker if you are looking for recs.

Fucking THANK YOU. Now if I could only figure out the first one.

Er, that is, the second one.

What are some good fantasy books involving tax policies?
seriously

I'm looking for a certain passage in one of Terry Goodkind's books, I believe it's "The First Confessor, where he talks about why a child's life is supposed to be worth more than that of an adult.
I think it's right about when Magda is turned, but it's been like 2 years so I'm not sure.

If anyone remembers the part and could post it I'd be grateful

after you finish it for sure

>the second one.
Maybe this? en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killing_Star

Just finished New York 2140. Where is the shill? I wasn't satisfied with that young stud clearing out the cobwebs from that older woman's drainage pipe. I need more recs.

New York 2140
Dagger and coin

Google it?

I tried, and I've tried searching through the pdf with ctrl+f, but apparently I don't remember any keywords.

Or maybe it's not that book.

It is definitely Terry Goodkind though.

Teenagers on a world without adults.

Has this ever been done well?

Nope but I appreciate the effort.

You looking for YA series or adult novel? The "Remnants" series was pretty good.

>Characters literally level up

I'm fucking dying.

What book?

Holy fuck, boys, I can't get enough of Alastair Reynolds. I'll be done with the whole Revelation Space saga by the end of next week at the rate I'm going.

Probably this. It's literally (literally) anime in prose.

>canadian writes book about iranian revolution
>only this time it's perpetrated by christians in the US
Kinda boring. I didn't really care for the disjointed first person present tense writing style.
I should have read Starship Troopers afterwards instead of before. Enjoyed that one a fair bit. Thinking about reading REAMDE next.

Is it dark shounen with power-ups or some edgy seinen bullshit?

I've read all of the Dagger and Coin, and the other one isn't fantasy but it seems interesting.

Shounen with power ups

Anyone read Legends of the Red Sun by Mark Charan Newton? Guy at work recommended them, but I don't know how good his taste is.

REAMDE was pretty fun but I wouldn't call it science fiction per se, more of a techno-thriller.

I might have to check this out then.

Give me a quick rundown on picrelated

Is he really that good? I've got Chasm City for free a year ago but never bothered to read it.

Get ready for that ending.
What a load of shitty deus ex machina + new problem that cant ever be solved.
Really spoiled all the build up everything previously.

>3/4 through All The Birds in the Sky
Mediocre. Feels like the writing is inspired by Neil Gaiman but doesn't manage to pull it of. The book also feel very YA, I imagine a teenager or someone who have struggled much with identity and bullying during their years inschool might enjoy it more, but it's more a retelling than actually exploring the subject.

Thanks user. Going to avoid that one.

Help me out /sffg/. I read this series of books ages ago and really enjoyed it and I want to audiobook it at work but I cannot fucking find a torrent anywhere for it. In fact I would really enjoy any of the few series written by this guy.

It's over on MAM (myanonamouse) else rip it yourself by abusing the audible trials over and over again.

That's the problem with these novels.
Instead of creating some made-up religion to show people how bad Islam is, they use Christianity as a metaphor. That, in turn, makes Christians resentful and the point is lost.
Same thing happened with Imperium (2016). Instead of it being a film depicting how ideology can lead to bad stuff, it's a movie about evil nazis. Or at least that's what it appears to be.

I might be wrong, though.

Ugh private trackers or ripping it from audible, fuck. Thanks anyway user.

I am also interested in those books. Can anyone help find the second one?

>2. Five or so people are chosen to be copied into hundreds of clone bodies and placed upon dozens of ships, each going to a different star. All of the clones based on one man go insane except the protagonist. On their destination planet the protagonist finds several golden towers with technological gifts from unknown aliens, including a transparent spacesuit and a small golden faster than light ship. It turns out that different aliens in starfish-shaped ships are following the first set and destroying any civilization which receives the gifts. The protagonist unwittingly uses the gift ship to return to earth which results in the starfish aliens following and destroying the solar system. He escapes with the original of one of his former crewmates and they embark on a journey to figure out why all this is happening and how it can be stopped.

First one is said to be

I think everyone wants these books now

its shit

some people love him but I think he's merely ok. Rev Space was mediocre, but altho some chunky flaws Chasm City was a damn fun book

yeah good job for reading it, glad we someone from the general on it

>start the revelations space series
>2 of the 3 PoV characters are women
Should I bother continuing.

I think Seveneves was great, even though it got kind of slow in the middle. Still worth reading, in my opinion.

read am-malazan instead.

get over yourself small-dick. there's plenty of other reasons rev-space sucks. if you're really that inclined Chasm City is a little sexist

>there's plenty of other reasons rev-space sucks.

What are those reasons?

I'm also this guy for clarityI enjoyed the universe he created, and the start of the book where there's the stop-off at the trading post was cool.
But the overarching plot felt really confused and directionless, with the end especially leaving me very unsatisfied.
The characters were also incredibly week. Every single one was a "self-styled badass" and they all seemed to be written the same way. They were scarcely memorable, and while it was a busy year ago I can only really recall one of them was Russian.

I was actually relieved when the booked ended, and even though I bought it too never touched Redemption Ark

He protec
But also attac

Pffff, it's nothing comparing to gay afro-russian mexican crippled lesbian christian priest in the Expanse. There all this shit looks like a parody but the authors are really damn serious about it.

>some people are women
>some people are gay
>in the future they'll likely be a lot of international movement and baby-making
yeah it's practically fantasy

You didn't understand it was all one person

I did, and it's not that unrealistic in the future The Expanse predicts. I could see the priest thing being a point of contention but I think the Church will modernise in the 200-something years. Also being crippled is just sad.

Parshendi are Middle-Easterns. Alethi are Westerners. Gemhearts are oil.

Where do I start with Clark Ashton Smith? I want more literature in the vein of Lovecraft, but everything else seems so shallow. I've yet to find anything that bears Lovecraft's philosophy of cosmicism and I've got a serious itch for some more.

Look, I'm embarrassed even to ask this... but are there any books out there with female characters getting fucked by demons/monsters? Really, anything gross and otherworldly. I just want it to be more than an off-hand reference.

The Dark Tower.

Just read berserk

>reading Ubik
Joe Chip has genuinely autistic moments. Is this a common trait with some of PKD's characters or confined to this one story?

Absolution Gap was the best novel but the best part is so short.
The Prefect 2 comes out early next year.

There's an excellent Penguin Classics volume which I've been reading through. It collects eighteen short stories, most of which were published in Weird Tales in the 1930s. You'll have to keep a dictionary handy for a couple of them, but Smith is an excellent complement to Lovecraft - more morbid and more exotic. The man loves wizards, necromancers, deadly scenery and worldbuilding. Here is a passage I like from his short story The Maze Of The Enchanter which is illustrative of his style:

---

Little enough was actually known of these gardens; but the flora that grew on the northern, southern and western sides of the palace was popularly believed to be less deadly than that which faced the dawning of the triple suns. Much of this latter vegetation, according to myth, had been trained and topiarized in the form of an almost infinite labyrinth, balefully ingenious, from which egress was impossible: a maze that concealed in its windings the most fatal and atrocious traps, the most unpredictable dooms, invented by the malign Daedalus. Mindful of this labyrinth, Tiglari had approached the place on the side that fronted the three-fold sunset.

Breathless, with arms that ached from the long, arduous climb, he crouched in the garden shadows. About him he saw the heavy-hooded blossoms that leaned from a winy gloom in venomous languour, or fawned toward him with open corollas that exhaled a narcotic perfume or diffused a pollen of madness. Anomalous, multiform, with silhouettes that curdled the blood or touched the brain with nightmare, the trees of Maal Dweb appeared to gather and conspire against him beyond the flowers. Some arose with the sinuous towering of plumed pythons, or aigretted dragons. Others crouched with radiating limbs that were like the hairy members of colossal arachnidans. They seemed to close in upon Tiglari with a stealthy motion. They waved their frightful darts of thorn, their scythe-like leaves. They blotted the four moons with webs of arabesque menace. They reared from interminably coiling roots behind mammoth foliages that resembled an army of interlocking shields.

--
By this passage you might get a sense of CAS's style, and appreciate how Jack Vance and Gene Wolfe were probably taking notes.

It's funny how these passages are easier to read than modern science fiction.

So im going to start a new book today. Please help me decide.

>the black prism - weeks
>leviathan wakes - corey
>the terror - simmons

I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks user.

lol guess i dropped it at the right time around the 4th book

This thread wins points for being one of the most autistic threads I have ever seen in a long time on any forum:
forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1147&t=1817872

>Folks,
>I am a fan and have been so for over 40 years yet I do not recognize a large portion of the names in the SF section. Are these self published books? I'd like to see a separate section for self published authors if possible. Interminable scrolling through the list is just too much. Thanks, B

I read The Sword Of Rhiannon by Leigh Brackett (1953,) an entertaining short novel that combines an exotic Martian setting with a taut and hard-bitten action-adventure style. 'Carse' is a former archeologist from Earth who is residing in a dilapidated ancient Martian city. He enters a tomb raiding partnership with a thief who knows the location of a cavern full of ancient artifacts. When he enters the tomb he is transported a million years back in time to the heyday of Mars, where he is caught between two rival sea-faring kingdoms.

Brackett writes in fast-paced, lean, and sultry style, with the right amount of action, exotic detail, and planetary romance. There's an Indian Jones protag, a loveable scoundrel sidekick, and a couple of femme fatales/waifus, in a tale of time travel, discovery, and the redemption of a Prometheus-like figure. If you can imagine A Princess Of Mars written by Dash Hammett and Raymond Chandler, you get the idea.This one is a lot of fun. 4.5/5

Thanks for the reviews user

It's shit. If you like hard sci-fi then you will love it.

It's faggots like you that helped bring down private trackers like what.cd, etc. You faggots post shit meant for "acquiring" books on social media, and steps how to get in on redshit and failbook. I hope your ass gets lynched. Too bad mouse doesn't have personalized backgrounds. So your ass could be banned.

And also
>he believes in the h*h meme

>creating some made-up religion to show people how bad Islam is
Christians were just as bad as the Islam.
It's just that the Christians started to reinterpret the bible to match how they wanted to live. The muslims follow it to the letter of the law. Look at those African countries that swallowed all the missionary BS over the years. They burn faggots, and stone witches still. While the people that indoctrinated them (Klapistan) dresses up like witches and takes a hot bugger from their gay bf before going to church. Klapistan taught these people to hate, then started doing the opposite of what they taught. Meh.

Parshendi are Muslims. Alethi are Christians. Gemhearts is land/Jerusalem /black mosque.

Sadpanda
male:monster female:tentacle

Writing characters or character interactions isn't one of PKD's strengths, so awkward moments do reappear but it isn't like they're intentional on PKD's part.

Two of those are sci-fi, one is fantasy.
I would say Black prism.

I can't remember. Have you read her Skaith books yet? I found the collection and am considering it.

>posted for years
>he thought it was just a meme
You learned about them now, first hand. Cancerous lot, all of them.

Are the Martians that white wing Angel thing? If so Altered carbon used that for one of it's sequels

They need to get nuked too. The emp will get all those who don't have their house built in a faraday cage.

>he doesn't have a metal roof and stucco walls

Apart from the humans there are three 'halfling' races in the book. The winged ones are called sky people, and there are also seal-like 'swimmers' and also a snake/human hybrid race. Guess which ones are evil, mysterious and duplicitous?

I've got the first Skaith book but I haven't read it, but I probably will do by the end of Summer. I can't imagine it being a bad read. I feel like she is a fairly well known author compared to her peers, but that she should be more widely read.

Thank you. I'm spoiled for choice for the next read. It could be Galactic Pot Healer by Philip K Dick, Dragon Masters By Jack Vance, or just finishing off a couple of short story collections (Leiber, Clark Smith.) I might even read something written after 1990 one of these days.

Read through these to see if anything is jogged
scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/86090/help-me-identify-this-book-that-uses-cloning-for-space-travel
goodreads.com/topic/show/1815279-solved-sci-fi-book-about-space-travel-via-cloning-reconstruction-s

>Guess which ones are evil, mysterious and duplicitous?
Snake is evil
Swimmers is mysterious
Sky people are duplicitous

I have read both of these.
>implying I haven't gone through almost all of that
I meant a real book. I've even gone through most of the HentaiFoundry stories.

there's some overt and implied monster sx in the Magicians trilogy.

Well... Dante Valentine series has the protag fucking a demon. But it isn't the hentai, bulging gross monster that lays eggs in your ass.(which is what I think you want).

You can try Clive Barker. He is fucked up, always writes fucked up shit like you want (don't touch imajica though).

>implied
>it can't fit
>pull out womb along with soul on cock
don't bother with this. You will have to read through a lot for little pay off (if you want it more than once you out of luck

>You can try Clive Barker. He is fucked up, always writes fucked up shit like you want (don't touch imajica though).
What do you recommend?

Finally decided to finish Wheel of time but since it's been a while I decided to read it from the start. I'm on book 4 and realized why it became pretty shitty. Jordon barely gave Rand and Mat chapters while spending most of them on Perrin and the Aes Sedai. Perrin's okay but he's really boring on his own and Faile is one of the worst characters. The Aes Sedai were annoying as usual and they also went on a useless adventure to hunt the Black Ajah. The problem with this was that Rand and Mat were actually doing something important and Jordan must have realized this since in the last few chapters he added a Forsaken and a seal into the Aes Sedai subplot. I'm not looking forward to the bowl sidequest. Also anytime Egwene was given focus was awful too. Moraine is the only one I don't mind.

Rand is based. Ever since the second book he's always been the man with a plan. It was hilarious when he started ignoring every Aes Sedai

>wot fans feel if they talk about their self confessed cluster fuck of a series, more people will read it
Try again faggots. Never touching that book, and I will continue trying my best to keep others away from it.

Well, you're right to a degree.
I said 'oil' because both armies use it to make shit out of it (finance themselves with it).

Where do I start with Asimov, Dick and Heinlein?
Have only read Starship Troopers, and it was pretty neat but I understand Heinlein's other works to be much different in themes. Haven't read any Asimov or Dick

>insane man with an injury that never completely heals is more competent than the organization of magic users whom have ruled Randland for a long time
I like how Jordan didn't pretend females were useful like other authors do

You guys have any book series you hate reading but can't put down?

Pic related. Hamilton is amazing at coming up with plots but the actual moment to moment writing is fucking terrible. Every single chapter starts with a three-page exposition about a random-ass nobody who happens to be in the same location the story has jumped to, and only after getting through that do you have any clue where the story is and what's going on. Doesn't help that there are way two many characters going through their own arcs.

Where can I learn to be a fantasy hack?

You just need a gimmick to attract the masses. For example Sanderson satisfies an autist's need for a video game/anime magic system. Right now the edgy fantasy fad is still going on bit there are sone people who don't like that stuff anymore so if you right a well written normal fantasy book you could attract those people. Another option would be to take Rothfuss' route. He took a book he wrote in high school and throught his collage years and separted it into three parts and became a millionaire. I don't know why Rothfuss is popular but he writes a lot of purple prose so you could go with that. I also recall that Kvothe was supposed to be a deconstruction of a mary sue but Rothfuss plays that straight.