Stop suffering

Stop suffering.

>Stop suffering.
why do you want me to be bored, schoppy-san?

No

>schopenhauer saying stop suffering
>nietzsche saying no
are we having an opposites thread?

Boredom is a form of suffering

Nigga what are you on about? Schopenhauer wanted people to choke out the will-to-live to stop suffering. Nietzsche wanted people to suffer so that they could become better.

oh good pendulums don't actually swing, they just exist at both ends of the arc simultaneously and indivisibly.
literally the first pages of schopenhauer on suffering is saying it's intrinsic to being. one of nietzsche's most famous quotes about embracing suffering and hardship is about becoming a "yes man" and not saying "no", which is a dig at schopenhauer who arranged and rearranged the entirety of WaWaR to end on the negative.

do literally none of you cunts read and assume looking at portraits is giving you book learning? this is like thinking charlotte's web is about a dog.

The Nietzsche post is saying 'no' to 'stop suffering.' That means 'I will continue to suffer.' Are you retarded?

you obviously are avoiding the pleasure of reading nietzsche quite well

But how Schopey my bro?

did someone hurt you today?

What are the best translations for Nietzsche's material? Should I avoid Penguin Classics?

Who are some great philosophers, thinkers or poets who deal with the topic of indifference?

who cares?

Good one

Based fucking every character in Candide.

Laozi

It's best to read him in German (or French if you want to listen to Nietzsche). Most of the translation problems aren't things you can solve, but it would take an absence of common sense to fuck up what is translatable. It doesn't lose as much in translation as what gets lost from not knowing his references. Unless you've read a lot of philosophy, you won't notice his stock characters or metaphors. You might think the guy with a lamp is some guy with a lamp or birds are not important. Get something with footnotes or end notes and explanatory summaries if you're not familiar enough with western canon to write essays about what lions mean. He's great fun to read, and if you want to read his work as mystical sounding proclamations without working out what he meant, you can do that too. But you'll miss a lot of the meaning and might buy a fedora. YMMV

Make me.

No, really. I can't do it myself

>Get hungry
>Schopenhauer told me to resist desires for unnecessary suffering
>Resist hunger
>Die
T-thanks...

>he never read schopenhauer's menu
kek i feel bad for those cunts who can drop a book mid chapter, shit like this must happen to them all the time

>He habitually dined well, at a good restaurant; he had many trivial love-affairs, which were sensual but not passionate; he was exceedingly quarrelsome and unusually avaricious. ... It is hard to find in his life evidences of any virtue except kindness to animals ... In all other respects he was completely selfish. It is difficult to believe that a man who was profoundly convinced of the virtue of asceticism and resignation would never have made any attempt to embody his convictions in his practice.

So basically he gets to choose what desires to follow and which you don't.

>The need to reproduce is hard-wired into us through evolution
>Don't do this

>The need to eat is hard-wired into us through evolution
>Do this.

Are you fucking stupid?

“That something is a hundred times more important than the question of whether we feel well or not: basic instinct of all strong natures…In sum, that we have a goal for which one does not hesitate…to risk every danger, to take upon oneself whatever is bad and worst: the great passion.”

"The spiritual haughtiness and nausea of every man who has suffered profoundly – it almost determines the order of rank how profoundly human beings can suffer – his shuddering certainty, which permeates and colors him through and through, that by virtue of his suffering he knows more than the cleverest and wisest could possibly know, and that he knows his way and has once been ‘at home’ in many distant, terrifying worlds of which ‘you know nothing’ – this spiritual and silent haughtiness of the sufferer, this pride of the elect of knowledge, of the ‘initiated,’ of the almost sacrificed, finds all kinds of disguises necessary to protect itself against contact with obtrusive and pitying hands and altogether against everything that is not its equal in suffering. Profound suffering makes noble; it separates."

“Man, as the animal that is most courageous, most accustomed to suffering, does not negate suffering as such: he wants it, even seeks it out, provided one shows him some meaning in it, some wherefore of suffering.”

he literally explains the refinements of luxury (which includes things like opiates you'll be very upset to die without) as a consequence of being over satiated and hunger being a better sauce if only you actually read books instead of a paragraph off the internet. it's not even a paragraph that mentions him offering a sophie's choice to the gf he left to die. even your shitposting is low effort.

>he actively wills to stop suffering

Isn't that contradictory? You are basically increasing the will by doing so.

The paragraph is saying he preached the ascetic lifestyle but didn't really live it.

OP didn't read Schopenhauer. He took a 50/50 chance and fucked up. Schopenhauer says the same thing as you and if OP had lurked longer he would have seen the quotes attributed to Schopenhauer's suicide helpline.

The paragraph doesn't actually contradict what he said about suffering or luxury. That's how I know you haven't read or understood him.

I have read him. I'm saying that basically he gets to decide what desire and what no to desire. Luxury in food brings unnecessary suffering too but because he says so it's ok to do.

>he gets to decide what to desire and what no to desire
No he doesn't. I don't believe you read him, because he explicitly says the opposite, that suffering is inevitable and stems from desire.
If you have read him, I'll have to believe you're retarded instead of lying about reading him.

So why deny the will, if you shouldn't deny lifes pains? Why eat in luxury if you should deny lifes pleasures?

Could you recommend anything with good footnotes? Or maybe a companion to some of Nietzsche's books, a writer or thinker who has consistently good comments?

nietche fails to see that there is embraces hedonism (which includes morality)

>>Get hungry
>Get hungry
>eat
>Get hungry again
=>eating does not solve your problem of hungriness. the day you see this and that this applies to any desire is the day you stop being human