Self Teaching Ones Self Biology

This is a subject that is starting to interest me. However, I wouldn’t need it to fulfill any requirements since I need physics. Is biology something that I could self-teach myself using tools such as Khan Academy and an introduction to biology textbook?

What level of mathematics is usually required for biology? I heard simple algebra was all that was needed in one person’s class. This made me feel less intimidated to try learning biology.

Attached: A6A91202-B4EA-4CD2-8499-E89564E3E8ED.jpg (250x188, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Biology is really broad of a field. Aren't you interested in something in particular? If you're looking for a general overview, I remember using Campbell's in high school.

>What level of mathematics is usually required for biology?
Once again, biology is really broad of a field. You could get into PDEs in modelling diseases and enzyme activity, some advanced stats for epidemiology, or just basic arithmetic. There's an entire field called mathematical biology and I've even read research papers modelling our anatomical movements using some pretty advanced mathematics. So it depends.

I just want a basic introduction to the terminology and key concepts.

I think the textbook recommendations on the wiki are pretty good:
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Biology_Textbook_Recommendations
Campbell's is on there. It was a good textbook. Lots of material to spark your interest and find a more specific pursuit.

Question about Campbell. I have learning disability so I have to read twice as long and work extra hard. Is this textbook written in such a way that I could easily comprehend?

bump

would mathetmatical biology be the same as biometrics?

To do good relevant research papers the authors need to understand pretty high level statistical modeling and some of them even need to know how to apply it. Add to this the hours you need to master the proper software ie. code

I mostly want to find a subject that allows me to practice mathematics.

I don't know. I read that textbook years ago and have no experience with a learning disability. Maybe Khan Academy would be good, but I've never used it.
Mathematical biology is broader. If you're interested look up James Murray for his textbook. It's the standard beginner's text.

what is molecular biology.

The study of macromolecules in the cell, mostly DNA, RNA, and protein. Look up Albert's Molecular Biology of the Cell

so in living things? or inanimate objects
sorry man, bit of a brainlet

In cells, which are living, but molecular biology can extend to viruses which are non-living.

what -ogy is the study of atoms or the building parts of objects

Materials chemistry.

Thank you user

Never look at phlyogeny and cladistics, it's torture. Signed bio student

Bioengineering student here
One of my favorite books/classes was on plant physiology. Always thought plants were kinda boring, simple. Turns out they got this whole "life" thing figured out better than we do. This book was great, spent an appropriate amount of time looking at how experiments were set up that lead to specific discoveries about how plants work, insanely interesting stuff.

Attached: 61PZ85H50OL._SX368_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (370x499, 74K)

Me again. As you'll see in this book and most others related to biology, you'll get a decent mix of phylogeny, biochem, genetics, etc.. A lot of the concepts in biology aren't often gained through direct study, but more of a holistic approach by learning bit and pieces and how they apply to the topic you're studying. E.g. you can study genetics specifically or you can gain a basic understanding and then see it in action in any other given topic.

Physicist here. I had to read parts of this badboy of a book recently for a project involving a vegetation model. Fuck me plants are complicated. And very fascinating. Almost makes me want to study plants and especially cells more.

>What level of mathematics is usually required for biology
You can get through a bachelor degree with basic high-school algebra, but inevitably once you go deeper, unless you want to be a lab-slave, you need to pick up some calculus, statistics and probably also linear algebra.

>I have learning disability

Stop giving excuses and just read the damn textbook.

Learning disabilities aren’t excuses, bud.

Yes they are, don't be weak

nobody in real life cares about your meme handicap i didnt have a dad and nobody knows that but i could have pussied out many times for it

>Albert's Molecular Biology of the Cell
would you say this is better than weaver, im in mol bio right now and actually don't like the weaver book, reads too much like a biology book if that makes sense, i study chemistry with a conc in biochem

Citation needed. Either way, you still didn’t answer OP’s question which makes all credibility of your posts questionable.

We can clearly tell that you are a sufferer of the disorder know as Asperger’s syndrome.

Are you an auditory, visual, or kinesthetic learner?

People with learning disabilities are likely making more money than you are right now. Having a learning disability doesn’t make someone dumb and doesn’t make them weak. It means they have to work extra hard in different ways to accomplish and learn the material they seek to learn. This is how I know Veeky Forums is only a bunch of armchair academics since they would have known about these facts and separate them from the myths.

Why are there so many people on Veeky Forums who blatantly reject scientific fact? For example, if there is an issue with the angular gyrus, dyslexia or alexia can manifest.

Having a shitty father who wasn’t there to raise you isn’t a learning disability, user.

Yeah, it is pretty easy.

Albert's is absolutely amazing.

I am actually thinking about trying to self-tech myself physics instead since that would most likely give me a heads up when it comes time to take the course since I would need physics as a requirement.