TELL US ABOUT YOUR CANS, Veeky Forums

What sort of canned/tinned foods do you enjoy? Do you prefer certain foods canned rather than fresh? Do you have any unusual cans? Do you have a canned food stockpile for emergencies, or just a few cans on-hand?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t-fcrn1Edik
twitter.com/AnonBabble

32DD

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

Some seafoods are better when canned, so that the oil has time to make the flesh tender and tasty. Canned sardines in oil are usually better than fresh sardines.

About the only canned food I use regularly is tomatoes/tomato sauce
Just cause I hate prepping tomatoes.

Tinned smoked mussles are godly.
Veeky Forums turned me on to them years ago.

Most of the fish I eat is tinned because I don't want to cook it.

Yeah; it takes time for really dense, chewy flesh like mussel or limpet to become tender. Tinning them in oil is basically a means of changing their texture, slowly.

Canned snek is actually very, very good. Canned 'dillo is kind of like pork. Canned gator is like some combination of pork and fish with the texture of an octopus.

only my own
i do fruits, veggies, meat, beans, stews, sauces, stocks etc.

What meats?

Do you use a pressure cooker and everything, or do you just stuff it in there and hope for the best?

usually keep some minestrone and pepper beef stew.
ones light... ones hearty.

all day erry day.

Smoked oysters are like crack to me, unfortunately they’re like $2.50 a tin.

I love cheap greasy canned corned beef hash. I think it's because my elementary school served the stuff at lunch, and years later, it's still a good memory.

I have some "institutional-sized" cans for emergency food storage because I buy them whenever stores have big discounts, but I don't look forward to actually eating 3 kilos of green beans, olives, creamed corn, or the other stuff I have.

any of them, my favorite is to go out east clamming every spring and putting those up
yes i have a proper 24 quart pressure canner

this
reminds me of being poor with my mom and eating breakfast

this about twice a week.
but I read the nutrition label and I know I need to cut it out of my diet.

I mean it is so unhealthy its borderline poisonous.
Total Fat 24 g 36%
Saturated fat 10 g 50%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.7 g
Monounsaturated fat 12 g
Cholesterol 76 mg 25%
Sodium 972 mg 40%
Potassium 406 mg 11%
Total Carbohydrate 22 g 7%
Dietary fiber 2.6 g 10%
Sugar 0.8 g
Protein 21 g 42%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 3%
Calcium 4% Iron 13%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 25%
Vitamin B-12 16% Magnesium 7%

Canned sardines are the good shit

It's not exactly a health food, but a CBH sandwich is a nice hearty lunch for a reasonable price.

This with a side of kernel corn and peas, but I never have it anymore because of Bought 2 cans of this preparing for hurricane season, goes great spread over toast.

I always have canned kidney or black beans, baked beans, tuna, lentils and chickpeas in the house.
Can't think of any other canned foods I regularly have.

I like to buy pic related and eat it with saltines and siracha sauce. Easy quick meal I always enjoy.

>Can't eat it without the hot sauce, tastes like trash.

oh and I've been cooking with a fair amount of spam recently. Can be pretty good in the right applications and it lasts forever.

red beanz and rice
it ain't easy finding both in one can but when u do

They have stopped to put the "Food Product" label on it.

Canning is the only way to safely preserve meat for long periods of time (multiple years) in a non-dehydrated, non-frozen condition. So yeah; I have canned goods just in case something happens. But don't forget to put an opener (or several) with the cans themselves.

Picked up a jar of these recently at the Russian market. So good I'm grabbing a case next time.

tuna
sardines
baby carrots for stir fry
refried beans
broth if I only need a little
steamed whole tomato
tomato paste
corned beef hash
peaches in water
pears in water
some fancy olives come in cans

thinking bout thos beans

i like chicken noodle, pineapple, fruit cocktail, beans, spam,tuna, corn, green beans. I need more stuff that is good in cans.

I make a tocino spam lo mein and its is some of the bst shit, i tell you.

paprykarz szczeciński is nice poorfag travel food, though it's a bit of a guilty pleasure

>szczeciński
>szcz

it's pronounced as shch
the whole thing would probably be pronounouned something like "paprikage shchecinski", though 100% correct pronounciation would require using sounds not present in the English language

Polish is notoriously hard to pronounce for foreigners
youtube.com/watch?v=t-fcrn1Edik

love those peas in a caaaan

> The recipe, inspired by a West African dish sampled by Polish fishermen,
You slavshits are worse than niggers!

As canned soup goes, Progresso is among the best.

Healthy Choice has less salt, for any long-term blood pressure concerns.

So tasty

Heinz cream of tomato soup with some croutons, or even tiny chunks of gruyere cheese dropped into the cooked soup, they sorta stay whole and become these molten chunks of cheese.

Heinzs spaghetti and pork sausages served on some buttered toast with some shredded red leicester or sharp cheddar.

>Dominique's snapper turtle soup
Fuck! It's been years since I could last find that stuff. It's like the soup version of crack cocaine.

I would sacrifice 500 babies to Satan just for a spoonful of that glorious soup.

I think I see your problem in acquiring this soup user
grocery stores generally don't accept babies as currency

So... kind of a related question - how long do properly-stored cans of food actually last? Advice online is conflicting. The general guideline seems to be somewhere between 3 and 6 years, but there are videos of people opening and eating canned food from the 1970's or even earlier and claiming it is fine. Though they sometimes cook the food from inside the cans prior to eating.

Depends on the food and storage conditions.

In any case, using the date on the can is a good guide.

You really don't want to deal with botulism

rude!

I actually prefer canned corn and canned peas. Canned green beans aren't bad either.

That's not canned, that's jarred.

I have some canned baby corn and water chestnuts from the chink market I use in stir fry. Also bought an entire case of unsweetened coconut milk I've yet to work my way through.

Canned Herring and Thuna are elder god tier.

Sort of. We make that distinction today, but when canning was developed in the early-1800's, the containers were glass bottles known as "canning jars."

Yeah, I smoke and can wild caught sockeye salmon when it's in season and it's the best canned fish I ever had. I do stock too, it's behind the salmon.

The nigger version is actually better lol