Sci-Fi Novel Where All Women Gain Power to Kill Men Wins $40,000 Fiction Prize

>A sci-fi book set in a fantasy world where all women suddenly gain the ability to kill men with a single touch has won a major fiction prize.

>The Power, by Naomi Alderman, was announced last night as the winner of the Bailey’s Prize for women’s fiction, which carries prize money of £30,000 (about $40,000).

>It describes an alternate future in which women find themselves endowed with deadly, electrical superpowers.

>Early in the “feminist science fiction” novel, by former Guardian writer Alderman, an unexplained event means women can suddenly fire electrical blasts from their fingertips, inflicting huge pain – and death – on men.

heatst.com/world/sci-fi-novel-where-all-women-gain-power-to-kill-men-wins-40000-fiction-prize/

Other urls found in this thread:

castaliahouse.com/ch-page/
mhpbooks.com/theodore-beale-aka-vox-day-aka-johan-beale-trolls-john-scalzi-has-too-many-aliases/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is it wrong that I want to put my face in her tits?

wtf happened to jason alexander

We get it, it's another novel focusing on pandering to Tumblr. Can we move on and talk about real literature now such as Big Dave maymays?

This wasn't worth one thread, never mind another.

i identify as a naomi alderman and i am triggered by this

it's personal appropriation, i've been mispersonalized

must be weird being a woman and knowing that 90% of men can kill you with relative ease

>former Guardian writer
Not surprised.

Yes

Seriously though, I understand that shit like this has a niche tumblr fanbase but how the fuck is it possible to earn 40k with it by winning a prize?

Is it weird that I want to put a stick of dynamite in her tits?

Cishammer 40K

It's Bayley's Prize for women's fiction. The ‘women's fiction part’ is key.
I wonder if anyone has a men's fiction prize for misogynist fiction. Any nominations?

>suddenly Veeky Forums loves Trump again

>her

Give it time. Eventually these guys will come out with their own awards categories.

castaliahouse.com/ch-page/

Let's shake this one off bros. Idiots like above and pic related are tarnishing institutions that are pillars of Western civilization: politics, science, art, etc. They're deconstructing the fabric. The fabric will respond.

Soon there will be a rebuff. Writers and thinkers who take language seriously, who take philosophical discourse seriously, who take religion seriously, who pursue science for its own sake. We're headed for a renaissance. Be patient.

honestly this is the average sort of girl i wish i had been having one night stands with in college

nothing really noteworthy about her but it would be a good night of feeling like you're normal. i'd almost rather bang her than someone objectively prettier because at that point you're like "ok you're banging me but you're out of my league, what's your angle"

with this girl you're like "ok shes just horny like me, we're both average. cool"

anyway whats this thread about?

>9616331
Any examples of their best published works?

>Guardian writer

What does it guard?

Right now it's a fringe operation. Vox Day is buddies with Molyneux/Cernovich et al so make of that what you will and manage expectations accordingly. Martin Van Creveld publishes with them though so it's not like they don't have any respectable authors. John C Wright is...John C Wright. Big imagination and terrible style.

Maybe someone on Veeky Forums is a redpilled literary genius however who will rocket them into fame and fortune and the Great Tide will begin to roll back.

>Feminist writing misandrist literature wins prize for female sci-fi writers

Why am I supposed to be outraged? I could just as easy go on Slate or Mother Jones and shake my fist in the air.

Average? Nigga call me ishmael cause dats a land whale.
Not saying you shouldn't throw the uglies a bone every now and then, especially if you're horny, but raise your standards man.
aint nothing average bout her.

I could see an interesting speculative fiction coming out of this premise.

Men typically are larger and stronger than females. Exploring a shift in that power dynamic could be interesting. Would the women start oppressing men? And if so, what are the ethical and moral ramifications for our male dominated society. Is it okay to dominate the weak or should we treat them as equals?

Sadly, I doubt this book will do a good job with the topic. It probably will be some power fantasy garbage with no real philosophical implications.

You haven't read it though

You're right. I am judging it without evidence.

I've been disappointed too many times to have hope anymore. I am wrong for prematurely judging her book, but it comes from a place of sadness. That doesn't make it better, but maybe you can understand where I'm coming from.

>Bad Book Wins Award
This has been happening since pretty much the discovery of writing. Why should I care? I bet Paul Joseph Watson made this thread.

jesus fucking christ you sound like a pussy. start going to the gym. you sound as masculine as a toaster

she's way below average, nigger.

Not really surprising to be honest. This is the sort of thing that wins competitions all the time. If you ever take a look at winners of fiction competitions you will see this clearly: all of the writing is trite garbage that reads like a blog post--and it's generally written by a woman about sexual promiscuity or misogyny. The judges are usually almost always women as well.

I'm not even really mad about this because it's exactly what their audience is looking for, and they know it. The only annoying thing is knowing that a decent writer could have used the money a lot more, and that now this tub of lard will think that she's some genius writer.

>Veeky Forums
well, yea'. Most of Veeky Forums's posters are now the mexicans from /pol/ and President Moot isn't going to build that wall he promised us, so...

you might die

Okay, but what happens AFTER they get that power? Do women just allow each other to horribly torture men at random? Does some serial killer woman go on a spree of just murdering men with electrical blasts and other women have to hunt her down but it's hard because women don't get trained to be in special forces and such as much?

Nobody got assblasted about Y: The Last Man killing every man in the world except for one. Or if they did, they're idiots. This may or may not be a good story.

I got assblated because of that ending though.

She looks like Dean Ween

Come back to discord.

That means it's time to release my YA sci-fi novel where I fly around at the speed of light killing all the people who bullied me in school by thinking about it.

She's a big girl

don't get electrocuted, user

Anybody actually read it. Kinda curious to know how this ends.

Good for her

>Alderman’s core observation is that people do bad things “because they can”. There’s no innate nobility in the female sex: atrocities begin, at first in justified retaliation, then just for the hell of it. Women haven’t just gone rogue, they’ve gone full Bacchic. Alderman evokes Euripides in a genuinely chilling episode when Tunde, checking out a remote cult, realises too late that his media credentials mean very little in the storm of unreason that has broken out in the mountains.

Doesn't sound much like a power fantasy to me.

so can other women, in fact even easier with just a rooty tooty point & shooty or with a stabby mcstabberton.

>thinks that disheveled mayo-tanker is normal

Welp. user we need to have a talk.

Didn't she win a bunch of awards for writing Jewish slash fiction a couple of years ago?

Sure it does.

I looked up reviews and the book apparently goes much deeper than 'girls rule the world'

>Something that I haven't mentioned yet is that The Power's narrative is framed by a correspondence between Neil, a member of "The Men Writers Association," and his friend Naomi, a bestselling author. Neil has written a historical novel titled The Power, which he has sent to Naomi for her comments. The narrative is interspersed by drawings of artifacts (illustrated by Marsh Davies) that make it clear that the events the novel describes happened thousands of years before the framing narrative (this is one of several very blatant tips of the hat that The Power gives to Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, a very obvious influence). Naomi's letters drip with privilege and friendly condescension—about a scene depicting imprisoned, trafficked women, she trills, "Some of us have fantasies like that!" (p. 332), because the reality of being helpless is so unimaginable to her. Some of the artifacts reveal horrific brutalities committed upon men in the intervening millennia, such as the practice of "curbing," in which adolescent boys are rendered incapable of achieving erection without electrical stimulation from a woman ("Many men who have been subjected to curbing will never be able to ejaculate without pain" [p. 248]).

Why.
That is my only question. Of all the weird and strange one could write about, why about this?

*electrocutes all the men in this thread to death*

>and his friend Naomi, a bestselling author.

Award bait like this always wins awards

DON'T FUCKING PUT THIS CANDYASS IN MY LEAGUE, GIGANIGGA.

>Would the women start oppressing men?
If you're into this concept I recommend A Brother's Price.

...ashamed to admit I've not been here long enough to know, but,
>what's a redpilled literary genius?
How is it any different from a normal literary genius?

>if it's a woman's touch by her hands, cut off her hands and rape the fucking daylights out of her
>or gang up on the girlies and cut the hands off many of them, then rape and broadcast
>"womyn" will go back to fear-fucking each other like the angry cock-angsty dykes they are and the rest of the female population will go back to the subservient position in the kitchen

Surely there is a better candidate, this is just a poorly-written fantasy about murdering/torturing people based on their sex.

>(((Alderman)))

it's just the old judaic nepotism network, don't get too worked up about it, probably no one read it

Wrong... To have a renaissance, you have to reach bottom first, and we are nowhere close to that yet.

Yet, today population is not invested on the act of... think, we are too satisfied with our commodities in life, that we take our reality for guaranteed.

Instead of getting outraged at trendy multicult garbage, or embracing alt-right idpol, its mirror-image, we should be building an alternative culture that is totally indifferent to race and gender and holds art as an autonomous category.

u do realize all the dankest shit of the renaissance was commissioned by rich bankers? these dudes weren't ascetics carving marble in they mom's basement, they had big ass workshops and were focused on stackin florins and pounding boipucci, it's cool to romanticize the shit, but keep it reality based

>we should be building an alternative culture that is totally indifferent to race and gender and holds art as an autonomous category

uh that's basically what's happening now except if the artists aren't all 100% white you have a nazi freakout and post a buncha frogs

Do you realize that you are talking about how the renaissance was funded, but not about; What caused Renaissance. What Rennaissance meant to the human develop.

>The Human Develop

Novel title?

It's a women's literature prize, the premise sounds daft yes and the prose quoted in the article isn't great but it's meant to be dystopian I could really easily see this exploring misandry in an interesting way. Point is I haven't read it neither have most of the people in this thread. The people getting pissed off by this are idiots. Great b8 though OP

>an alternative culture that is totally indifferent to race
>that's basically what's happening now except if the artists aren't all 100% white you have a nazi freakout
????

>It was originally sponsored by the British telecoms company Orange, which ditched the event in 2012.

>The 2013 prize had no sponsors, and was kept alive by private donors including Cherie Blair, the wife of former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair.

>Baileys was eventually persuaded to take up the sponsorship in 2014. However, in January it announced it was pulling out of the sponsorship deal after 2017. It is not clear which company – if any – will replace it.

>Related articles: Why It Is Time To Scrap Women-Only Book Prizes by Emily Hill

what was the book they put out to troll John Scalzi or someone like him

>Naomi Alderman (born 1974) is an English author, novelist and game designer.
>Alderman's literary début came in 2006 with Disobedience, a well-received (if controversial) novel about a New York rabbi's lesbian daughter living in North London, which won her the 2006 Orange Award for New Writers.[6] It led her to reject her life as a practising Jew. "I went into the novel religious and by the end I wasn’t. I wrote myself out of it", she told Claire Armistead of The Guardian in 2016.[7]

An atheist lesbian Jewish game designer. By Jove, I hate humans.

>Alderman
It's not even surprising anymore.

>"THERE IS NO JEWISH CONSPIRACY" says increasingly nervous liberal for the 100th time

Oh boy it's Egalia's Daughters #12912 I couldn't have imagined.

For real, this theme of "reversing the gender role" is so overdone, it's produced nothing that we haven't already seen, what get now is unsightly afterbirth of that genre. It now only serves to infuriate /pol/tards and mutual back-patting from fellow bourgeois liberals.

best post

>(((Alderman)))

every fucking time

Just a literary genius with views well-received by /pol/lit/ical types. There's a bunch.

That would be The Corroding Empire, by the great Johan Kalsi.

mhpbooks.com/theodore-beale-aka-vox-day-aka-johan-beale-trolls-john-scalzi-has-too-many-aliases/

you're worst than those people because you go over your head to search for them and make threads to spew your anger at something you might as well be ignoring and trying to make interesting discussion about interesting topics. But oh well, just keep shitposting about other ignorant persons.

For you