IQ

Does Veeky Forums even take IQ tests seriously? Why do people hold such high regard for a number? Is not our ability to learn dependent on mental capacity rather than an arbitrary value assigned at birth?

Attached: smug umaru.jpg (1096x706, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_factor_(psychometrics)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World#/media/File:World_Income_Distribution_2015.png
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally–Anne_test
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>does /r9k/ even take penis size seriously? Why do people hold such high regard for a number? Is not our ability to fuck dependent on our ability to anticipate a woman's needs rather than an arbitrary value assigned at birth? Why would you expect that it's any easier to make a girl climax with a 7x6 than with a lipstick tube and a little creativity?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_factor_(psychometrics)

>Everyone get smarter by a fix amount
Everyone still has the same IQ
>Everyone get smarter by a fix multiple
>Everyone get smarter by having their smarts squared
>Everyone get dumber by having their smarts logarithm-ed
>Everyone's smarts get affected by some monotone increasing function

IQ is literally just a rebranding of percentiles. It objectively measures nothing and is purely subjective on the population.

>If the average penis size was 2 inches, mine would be ENORMOUS!

IQ is directly correlated to mental capacity. It'll make everything you do easier and you'll be able to succeed faster. It's not that hard to see why insecure people on Veeky Forums cling to their iq so much. It's one of the only pieces of dignity they have left.
Although I doubt many people here actualy have an IQ over 130, that's not from some online meme test. You're not posting on Veeky Forums if you're ambitious and have such a high IQ. Unless it comes with mental health issues or troubled past etc.

so it's a metaphorical dick measuring contest. I see.

>Psychometrics is a field of study concerned with the theory and technique of psychological measurement.
>The g factor is a construct developed in psychometric investigations
>highlight: concerned, theory, psychological measurement (we're getting into Freud here!), construct, investigations
Ah, I needed a layer of complexity to confirm this was not only bullshit, but worded so that unquestioning minds repeat out as is spoken to them.

you seem smart.

>It'll make everything you do easier
this is why you have a girlfriend and a well paying career?

IQ beyond a certain threshold is not important for most people. IQ up to that threshold is VERY important. penis size is the same.

ha, wasn't saying I have a 130+ iq either. I had it tested in high school cause I have ADD, and it was 118. Verbal was 137 though. PIQ was only about 100. So you can see why I'm on Veeky Forums instead of doing an astrophysics degree

Yes.
"Why do people hold such high regard for degrees? They're just pieces of paper!"
It's not arbitrary.

It's still being debated, but many things that the IQ test measures, such as processing speed and memory, for now seem to be tied quite a bit to genetics. As someone said already, it basically measures the speed at which you grasp and memorize things, in comparison with the rest of the human population. Having a high IQ can help immensely with understanding complicated subjects.

Yes but you can understand concepts better by having an exposure of the subject beforehand. Thus exposure to better (or rather, different but still correct) ways of thinking early on would lead to the highest IQ, which has nothing to do with genetics but rather a social environment factor. Also, correlation =/= causation.

Attached: 1476154278630.png (399x614, 429K)

IQ tests are the holy grail when you need to prove that you're two stdevs above the mean. IQ tests are stupid when you score 110. That's how it works.

that's crystallized intelligence you mean, not fluid intelligence. Although I suppose if you learn the reasoning behind progressive matrices you could still do better on such an IQ test.

Psychometrics is a joke and no one relevant in neuroscience, genetics, or medical science cares about it. It's only a bunch of social scientists coping for the lack of actual tangible research in their departments and autists coping for their lack of achievements who do.

Obviously only up to a certain point, otherwise everyone in developed countries would have 130+ IQs.
40+ years of replicated research, neuroimaging etc that consistently predict a huge range of life outcomes = causation

Non-argument.

> Global life expectancy at birth in 2015 ... ranging from 60.0 years in the WHO African Region to 76.8 years in the WHO European Region
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World#/media/File:World_Income_Distribution_2015.png
African countries live off less than 10, 5 or even 1 percent of what Americans make and most citizens are in poverty. Their primary concern is managing their welfare over becoming smart. Add in that not a lot of Africans are smart enough to teach others, and you know why Africa isn't doing too well. Humanitarian efforts are pretty much the only reason why everyone hasn't died.

And they test at 80 in horrendous conditions while Africans with much better conditions in the US test at 85. You're helping hereditarians.

so you believe that inner city ghettos are equivalent living conditions to cushy suburbs, and that the nutritional needs of the children are being met, as well as emotional security? I don't like to preach SJW logic but at some point they are right.

>All blacks live in inner city ghettos
Lol.

>nutritional needs of children are being met
>emotional security
Negligible contribution to IQ but most are, yes.

>Is not our ability to learn dependent on mental capacity rather than an arbitrary value assigned at birth?
Mental capacity is assigned at birth.

> Thus exposure to better (or rather, different but still correct) ways of thinking early on would lead to the highest IQ
It doesn´t, as evidenced by research on this subject.
>Also, correlation =/= causation.
That is not at all a relevant remark in this context. When practically all the evidence points toward both a high heritability of IQ and a strong link between cognitive capacity and IQ, there is enough correlation to suggest causation.

>so you believe that inner city ghettos are equivalent living conditions to cushy suburbs
Blacks from the "cushy suburbs" vastly underperform their white contemporaries. The same applies in every other income bracket.
> I don't like to preach SJW logic but at some point they are right.
They are literally wrong about every single thing that is tangentially related to IQ.

>strawmanning

>but most are, yes
You must be autistic. There's no other explanation as to how you believe everyone else is the same as you.
do you honestly believe that a black mother in the ghettos has the same level of altruism that a white mother in a suburban climate has? Why do you think Blacks kill each other at such a high percentage? They're emotionally unstable, and their basic needs are never met, you're brainwashed to think it is because of intelligence.

[Citation needed]

Attached: sallyanne.gif (308x440, 39K)

It's not arbitrary or assigned at birth, but no, I definitely don't take them seriously after age 10.

She'll look in the box for the marble.

Why do people hold such high regard for a number?

Simple, some people are intellectually insecure and have no other demonstration of their worth. While actually smart people will hold patents, breakthrough publications, inventions, or jobs that inherently show they're very intelligent, some people are dorky but with none of the associated output. Touting IQ let's them pretend they aren't antisocial rejects, they're just too intellectually aloof to deal with lesser people.

This isn't to say IQ isn't useful as a general gauge of one's intellectual ability. But people who are so obsessed with using it as a dick measuring stick are kind of dumb.

>t. autist unable to put himself into other's shoes

I have autism. So? Is that a problem?

>muh number argument
Why do people hold such high regard for degrees? After all they're only pieces of paper. Or job experience, it's only words on a page.

its obvious he heard the problem before since this one asked for a ball, and the user referred to it as a marble.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally–Anne_test

Depends how much it impairs you in daily life. Cause if you can't answer that one correctly, you literally have the social awareness of a child younger than 4

Learn what a straw man is, the majority of black people don't live in ghettos.
As I said, negligible contribution to IQ. Get evidence that they have some huge effect and then come back.

>experience, it's only words on a page.

Attached: 1396213051176.png (244x295, 101K)

>mental ability is only a number
Also questionable, but we know you're a dishonest dipshit and just want to stir the pot.

I never said that the majority of blacks live in ghettos. I omitted my viewpoint to which you inserted your beliefs of me upon. I DO, however think that the majority of black people are living in less educated, more squalor conditions. In an America that is obsessed with social status and having neither brains nor affluence, these adolescents turn to riskier behavior, such as joining a gang or committing crimes. The problem stems from that they do not have someone who can teach them the foundations of being intelligent, as well as being too concerned with their own welfare.

though we are coming into an age where information is everywhere, and sooner of later the types of information they need to know to become smarter will be readily available to them. I believe that black adolescents are fundamentally as smart as whites in America. the problem of course being what to do with the older black population that has not the capacity for understanding and learning as their succesive generation counterpart.

Attached: 1520016427758.jpg (615x441, 51K)

>Why do you think Blacks kill each other at such a high percentage? They're emotionally unstable

Because 60% of black ghetto girls get raped before turning 18 and they then go fuck up their future children by beating them and letting them get raped too.

>and their basic needs are never met

They have welfare, food stamps, section 8 housing, Obama-smart-phone, etc. Their needs are met.

I always scored in the 120's going through the education system, does that make me smart or just not dumb?

>Why do people hold such high regard for a number?
If your number is high you are naturally interested in pretending that the number matters a lot
/thread

Height correlates with SES better than your IQ score
Wealth correlates with SES better than your IQ score
SAT results correlate with SES better than your IQ score
Skin color correlates with SES better than your IQ score