A question to Americans:

A question to Americans:
How much energy does it take to boil a room-temperature gallon of water?

Attached: received_1447955175334031.png (460x345, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

media.giphy.com/media/47xqMrjTiFPslA0AOK/giphy.gif
youtube.com/watch?v=YEmR2PBPvec
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>inb4 people charge in attacking and defending fucking USCS on a science board again

Attached: 1492620781292.jpg (591x734, 48K)

'Bout tree-fiddy (tip included)

Easy. Convert the gallon to milliliters.
1 us liquid gallon =
3785.412 milliliters * room temperature in degrees centigrade (Celsius) = your amount of energy needed.

Go fuck yourself.

Is this possible to solve without using the metric system?

Now I'm curious about the rest of the story
What book is that, OP?

>Without using metric
>Step one: convert to metric

Attached: 1470129905001.jpg (261x353, 13K)

Need to know the initial temperature of the water

Room temperature you idiot.

Attached: 1463303005001.jpg (585x390, 55K)

>Without using metric
Making up rules in order to post a snappy reply

And what is room temperature exactly? I've heard its from 18C to 25C

What room though?

I'm willing to bed your mom tonight if your room temperature is same as mine

Obviously 25°C.

Attached: 1471895513897.jpg (250x250, 7K)

about 70 degrees

Well tell mom I'm sorry, mine is 7 degrees lower.

>* room temperature in degrees centigrade (Celsius)
More like *(100-room temperature)

Water has a specific heat of about 1 BTU/lb-F, so heating a lb. from room temperature (70F) to boiling temp (212F) takes about 142 BTU/lb.
The latent heat of vaporization (turning that liquid into steam at the same temperature) requires an additional 970.1 BTU/lb. for a total of 1112.1 BTU/lb.

A US gallon of water weighs 8.35 lbs. so it's 2986 BTUs/gallon.

70F is 21.111C and it's what most Americans would consider a comfortable room temperature.
18C is 64.4F and is enjoyable only in countries which use a superior system of units, but never invented Central Heating.

Woosh

A gallon of water weighs eight pounds. Room temperature is 70F, and boiling is 212F, for a difference of 142F.

142 * 8 = 1136 BTU, plus whatever the latent heat of evaporation is.

room temperature is 300K because it's close enough and it's a whole number

If you drop the pressure to about 0.36psi, then at 70F, the liquid will go from a saturated liquid to a saturated gas with approx. 1053btu/lbm. If a gallon of water weighs about 8.4lbm, then ~8,845 btu will be needed.

I didnt know a BTU was an LBF*F

Sorry this is incomplete. Since 8.4lbf was used, you must divide by 32.2ft/s2, so the answer is actually 274.5BTU. That is the energy to boil water at room temp with the adjusted pressure to make this operation feasible.

One US gallon is 8 lbs. A pint's a pound the world around.

>Centigrade
Who invented this meme? It's celsius for fuck's sake

The original definition was the heat which raises or lowers the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.

8.36 lbf to be exact

All you faggots are wrong, to boil room temp water you don't heat it you pull vacuum on it. The math for this is simple even in imperial units.

standard ambient temperature and pressure, which is unfortunately also a metric quantity so we'll have to just do it the good old fashioned american way, give up and not do it.

I must have jews for gas providers cause I still have to tip after the tree fiddy

The proper measurement unit is British Thermal Unit (btu). It's a lost art measuring in those considering the only people boiling gallons of water anymore are moms cooking pasta. Pretty sure most engineers doing that kind of design work in metric.

There are two kinds of countries on Earth: those who use metric and those who put man on the moon

Attached: received_1990435107873451.gif (200x270, 1.05M)

Too much! Also check this out!
media.giphy.com/media/47xqMrjTiFPslA0AOK/giphy.gif - more information on gif image

Attached: postcard.gif (1000x775, 243K)

Your a moron

three: those who can send people to the ISS reliably.
youtube.com/watch?v=YEmR2PBPvec

You mean
>and those who put man on the moon using metric

Steam boilers are often still spec'ed in BTU/hr.

Easy to remember, but wrong.
and are right.

The question wasn't posed to Americans simply because Americans are stupid, however true that may be.

Attached: 1521932760945.png (784x645, 36K)

At what altitude/pressure?

>this system is really good at answering this one specific problem whose answer is build into it
whoa

>every system of measures has its own rules of a thumb which don't look so nice in other systems
Gee, who would've think that
And neither calorie or centigrade aren't standard units, joule and kelvins are, so go fuck your hat

the problem is not that they used metric units to put a man on the moon, the problem that the master mind behind every calculation of that landing was a German scientist

What book is this? I've either read this book or read this post before.
OP? Are you a dirty post reposter?

Eh, it's Wild Thing by Josh Bazell apparently. I don't think I've read it. Fuck off OP.

Strawman

4.184 J/g C * 3785 g * (100 C - 25 C) = 1187733 J

no one wants to fucking confirm this shit?

Google:
- specific heat of water
- gallon in grams water
- boiling point of water
- room temperature

No, I know it's right, I just wanted a Veeky Forumstard to make me feel smart by agreeing with me.

But wouldn't this just prove how much easier it actually is to just fucking use the metric system? I mean you're even using Celsius already ffs

Attached: IMG_20180324_091743.jpg (436x477, 39K)

everyone already knows the metric system is superior nobody is going to argue

No other country landed a man on the moon for the main goal of space expedition was to see who could land on the moon first, so than once the U.S did it first. Many had no interest in landing on the moon. BRAINLET

NASA used a mixture of metric and imperial in the programming of the apollo computers, the ones used to land men on the moon. So the country who landed men on the moon used metric.

Attached: brainlet.png (794x378, 19K)

Also remember that NASA suffered a loss of $125 million because half of the team used imperial units and the other half used metric system

Don't even try to justify the imperial system.
Use metric system which wasn't invented by a drunk philosopher who was doing cocaine about ghosts in his body

This triggers me too

Implying that ever happened lol.
Even if you inbreds did, it meant nothing.

Attached: pt0EdrVl.jpg (640x565, 90K)

I can't really see how any of those are still relevant today besides the Soyuz and satellites. How is having the first woman in space "relevant today"? Also, you forget that the USA also had the first man to orbit Earth, and we actually recovered the animals we put in orbit.

liberia and myanmar never put a man on the moon so your argument is false

>metric
>calorie
Good one

Attached: pepe punch.png (229x220, 6K)