/eg/ engineering general

Containment thread for engineers and all engineering related questions. Haven't seen one of these so decided to make it we can wing it.
To get things started:
>student or already in the workforce?
>level of education?
>discipline?
>current projects?
>anything interesting?

Attached: tfwnogf.jpg (720x799, 36K)

>engineering
not science or math

If I'm 20 and a computer science student is it worth it changing to mechanical engineering? in terms of job opportunities and pay.

>implying it isn't applied science and math

>working for govt research lab
>PhD
>ECE
>avionics
>yeah but i can't reveal my power level here

cry harder

saw you in the other thread. you will be fine in either, pick whichever you think is more interesting. if you just want money go into finance or some shit. what are you goals

How many times have you had to relocate if at all? I want to go into the govt aerospace field, but gf is pretty set in living in CA.

just once when i graduated and got my job. there are plenty of aerospace jobs in san diego and LA

work
>level of education?
bsc in EE
>discipline?
I'm a trainwreck
>current projects?
overseeing construction of a public hospital
>anything interesting?
doctors (especially the old guard) are some of the most pretentious people I've men in my entire life

>doctors (especially the old guard) are some of the most pretentious people I've men in my entire life
how so

I go to a lot of coordination meetings where they're present (because they represent the investors and clients) and they meddle in things they have no clue about but will persistently try to force their (often clueless) opinions to be the lasting decision. I'm sure they're great surgeons but you really shouldn't act like you have any kind of authority when discussing optic network infrastructure or acting like you know how much degrees of compensation should a system have. I literally heard two doctors telling each other after a meeting "if peasants can do this when should be able to learn it in a few weeks". Which would be fine and dandy if it were true but they just induce facepalming whenever they're talking during meetings.

Engineering is literally applied science and math (all branches).

Is aerospace a finnicky industry?

Why are all my engineering math classes so handwavy? Going to an engineering school was a mistake

Handwavy in what sense?

In that they don't have proofs or even explain why things are true and say lol just memorize the formula :^). This why engineering is a cancer ridiculed on Veeky Forums

What? You're confusing what actually is being taught with how most people study.

>Going to an engineering school was a mistake
Indeed it was. You should´ve studied actual engineering at university, instead of taking the brainlet way out by attending a glorified vocational college.

it is a university

they're teaching how to use formulas instead of how/why they work

Nothing stops you from looking up proofs yourself silly nigger.

The math involved in deriving them is far too advanced for a semester course. So they just explain the high level idea, maybe include some simpler proofs / proof sketches to present some intuition, and move on from there. OP is a faggot who hasn't yet realized there's a reason every course label in his curriculum starts with the words "Intro to..."

Attached: read a book.jpg (566x480, 65K)

bullshit, they should teach analysis instead of calulus in post high-school education

They teach you how and why. You have to know why it works if you're planning to implement it.

Dunno, I distinctly remember professors showing the proof for every major formula and doing it during lecture, especially in later, more theoretical, classes. The only difference being it's mainly not required to know the proof by heart but they always recommend to arrive by it yourself at home to better understand what you're doing.

>They teach you how and why.
No, they teach you HOW TO USE formulas.
It's more like training than teaching

It's definitely not just how to use formulas but I see there's no point in talking with you. Bye.

>Dunno, I distinctly remember professors showing the proof for every major formula and doing it during lecture, especially in later, more theoretical, classes.
In my classes they went over the absolute most important derivations, but left a lot to look up on our own. Too many of them would just be a waste of lecture time; not only because of length, but because of complexity. Truly comprehension involves reading, rereading, thinking deeply, and then thinking some more. Running through them in a lecture would be in one ear, out the other for >90% of students.

Yeah, I do math. Why don't you try to proof something, stupid dog. Proving is working. Don't just read a proof, do it yourself or you will remain a dumb nigger. Show me the proof that sqrt(2) is irrational. Don't look it up, just do it. This is kindergarten stuff. If you can't even do that than get back to your intro to proofs course.

This is why I hate engineers they think they know it all, but know nothing. Dunning kruger to the max.

Yes, and this why engineers shouldn't prentend to be scientist of mathematicians!

>This is why I hate engineers they think they know it all, but know nothing. Dunning kruger to the max.

The only person acting like that here is you lol.

>tfw Engineers will be replaced by AI in the near future
can't wait

Attached: wikihow dog1.png (348x314, 121K)

Nice argument! Can't engineers even make rational arguments? lmao

What's the most/least useful branches of mathematics in Engineering?

t. Maths major

Student.
>level of education?
Master's Student.
>discipline?
Mechanical Engineering.
>current projects?
Modeling biofluids.
>anything interesting?
Nope.

After 5 years of education, I still feel like a retard with no real life skills.

>just took babby analysis 1 so I feel like I can shit on engies who know more math than me: the post

>implying engies know more than differential equations

It's not an argument, it's an observation.

student
>level of education?
end of first year
>discipline?
electrical
>current projects?
trying to grasp vector analysis. nothing on my free time
>anything interesting?
shit is hard but im looking forward to the robotics master..
>t. obvious brainlet
>implying engineers dont learn as much, if not more maths and science than science students
your school is shit or your proffs are bad. Every concept is proven in my classes all the time, math or scientific. Its never just "memorize this"
meme

The absolute state of engineering. Can't even prove the easiest theorem. Yet they think they can do math. Lmao. I'm done arguing, but I'm not done laughing. Haha, why don't you just stop embarrasing yourselves and get back to redd*t where you belong? Leave math to the mathematicians and science to the scientists and leave Veeky Forums. Or do I have to explain with a picture?

Yes and it is a stupid observation, befitting of an engineer. Lmao. You guys can't even save yourselves from your own posts!

But I do like you're not being buttblasted and have a good time. This one is fun, you can stay.

Math fags get OUT

Attached: sad.jpg (424x347, 27K)

not until you learn real math

>Implying that AI will be made by pure mathematicians and not a single engineer.
>Implying that AI won't replace also scientists hahahahahahah kronk

what the fuck does that mean

because if they wasted the whole class doing proofs you would never learn any engineering

>Dunning kruger to the max
you are projecting. you have absolutely no idea how the computer you are using works. stop being so pretentious

cringe/10. how embarrassing

engineering is a proper subset of mathematics :^)

>what the fuck does that mean
I mean is it a stable industry to be employed in? I heard people expect massive layoffs during recessions.

Lel, keep coming with the cheap shots with no arguments. Try to write a proof yet? I'd recommend it.
Lol butthurt

Oh and btw, I in fact do know how this device works.(double majored in CS+math, you see. Although CS was more like a minor wrt to math) Up to the logical gates, lower than that is for the Physicists and electrical engineers.

If you want to impress me, try again. As I said, you think you know all when you know nothing. Learn some respect!

Why are you shitting up the thread

Maybe he feels miserable.

I mean, imagine being a person which notion of self-worth derives from the amount of hours you put into studying X subject.

wow.

Student
>level of education?
3rd year
>discipline?
Not sure yet. Maybe power or signal processing
>current projects?
Gonna try to make a monophonic square wave keyboard/synthesizer using push buttons to open branches with different impedances to control the output frequency of a 555 timer hooked up to a speaker
>anything interesting?
Should be interesting trying to get good at tweaking the tones that come out to be in tune. Can use pots on each button for fine tuning

Forgot to mention, but EE. Should be obvious

Uh who here has one of those white hats they make you wear?

most useful is calc or linear algebra

student, trying to get an internship
>level of education?
in the fifth of ten semesters
>discipline?
electrical engineering
>current projects?
none, but I may help to found a robotics club, also I want to start building small electronic devices for practice
>anything interesting?
loving the course so far, but we are only getting into electrical engineering focused subjects now (there were two courses in digital electronics before, but only that)
not sure which field I want to specialize in, I want to use this year and the next one to decide. So far a liked everything with exception electrical installations.

Attached: 20180326_211006.jpg (1836x2660, 1.03M)

>>student or already in the workforce?
Work
>>level of education?
BSME
>>discipline?
Automation engineering
>>current projects?
Robot cell for demilitarizing bombs, precision powder dispensing, and chem lab conveyor line

honestly i'm not too sure. i work for the govt so there is more job security, but maybe its something to be more worried about if you're a contractor. just stay on top of your game though and you should remain employable

that was my first post to you. try to understand the technology you depend on yet? i'd recommend it

getting more cringey by the post m8. you don't understand shit. which you actually admit here
>lower than that is for the Physicists and electrical engineers.

trying to convince himself that he's smart

that's exclusively reserved for maths majors.

Professional. Finished my BSEE in May, had a job offer in September, was dropped before I even started when I was denied an interim security clearance, and after a desperate search just got a couple offers last week. Feels good.

why did you get denied clearance?

I was offered an internship at NASA GRC recently and have been having a hard time deciding on if I am going to take it or not. The reality is I have 12 unfilled NASA applications into projects I'd rather work on at locations I'd rather live at. The position isn't totally irrelevant to my interests, it's just not directly aligned with my career goals (think software vs aerospace engineering), and the other positions I applied to put me in a much better position for getting into the masters labs I want to work in. I have not heard anything from any of them yet and I believe it's still around the time the centers are making first contact with candidates (submitted all within the past month). This will be my last internship before I apply for graduate schools and I'm lacking in relevant, directly aerospace engineering experience.

This position I was offered wasn't something I applied to either, nor something I would have spent one of my 15 applications on. I was just sent an email via OSSI asking if I wanted to do it. The experience it provides related to my career goals is minor, but not insignificant.

I think I'm fairly qualified, with a few big name internships under my belt, my gut is telling me this could be one of my biggest regrets if I got an offer for another position, but I would also have massive regret if I got nothing NASA related in the end and didn't get any of the positions.

Any advice for what I should do? I don't have very long to accept or decline.

Attached: 1517777802174.jpg (750x732, 75K)

No idea. I was only denied the interim, and the company didn't want to wait for the regular clearance. No idea why and they won't say why with the interim. I don't have massive debt, I had two uses of marijuana ever, both more than 6 months previous, and I had a single instance of ritalin misuse (over my prescribed amount).

in the long term you should probably just get your foot in the door and you will have chances to transfer later

Foot in the door? It's an internship at a center that doesn't do anything I'm interested in, any networking I'd be doing at GRC would be with people I will never see again, realistically.

Why? Calculus has more applications than analysis and if you teach analysis then people who many not consider a future in math are then forced to go through semesters of shit that really isn't applicable to them. A lot of undergrads go into university not knowing what they want to do. Having them learn a class that's a lot more niche than calculus doesn't really make sense from an efficiency stand point.

i meant that getting a job with NASA would be getting your foot in the door. the internship could lead to a job. then you can transfer. in the govt in general, not just NASA, getting in is the hard part. transferring is not as hard

Getting into NASA is not that hard. There are hundreds and hundreds of summer interns, and only 1-2% end up full time. I don't necessarily want to work at NASA full time either. I just want relevant experience.

>Getting into NASA is not that hard
depends on your standard i guess
>There are hundreds and hundreds of summer interns, and only 1-2% end up full time
that does make it sound kinda hard though
>I don't necessarily want to work at NASA full time either. I just want relevant experience.
I dunno man. it sounds like you have the quals but not the connections. are you an undergrad? go to grad school and study with a professor who has connections

Bro you're making all these giant leaps and not understanding what I'm saying

The school(s) I want to get into pretty much require me to have relevant aerospace engineering experience to get in. This NASA position would be more software, with a touch of aerospace.

>The school(s) I want to get into pretty much require me to have relevant aerospace engineering experience to get in
grad schools don't really have requirements for internships. they look at research exp and letters of rec

You think I'm bad? Look at /math/ sometime, now that's bad. It seems you still mistake my disdain for megalomany. But I've had my fun. I'll leave you non-scientist and non-mathematicians.

Lolwat? What exactly do you claim I don't understand? Try me.

Let's start with reading comprehension

i've read that mechanical engineering is very broad in what it covers and has a lot of carry over to other kinds of engineering. how accurate of a statement is that?

please don't bully me, i just wanna get my life on track.

Attached: 1512848176482.jpg (864x922, 118K)

Well then, why don't you teach me "wise master"?

Oh, now I see. Didn't read the green bit as I had written here. At least I know what I don't know, unlike you!

Check out the sticky
Clearly not

reasonably accurate.
chemicals and civils are specialized versions of mechanical. Mechanical overlaps with electrical only in control systems. Aerospace = Mechanical, just about. nearly all bio-engineering jobs are held by dudes with degrees in mechanical.

>t. B.S. Mech Eng.

What's your guys' average day consist of? What type of programs do you use? How often do you work together with others to make shit? Preferable answers from guys with jobs in engineering but interested in students as well.

Attached: ebinmaymay.jpg (750x720, 56K)

Am I going to a shitty university or is this normal?
I got into mechatronics and thought that I would be simply studying physics, math and programming. But two weeks in I realized that virtually every class was about working in a team, reading bullshit all the time and doing shitty expositions. I suck when it comes to being around people, speaking in public and reading.
Are engineers nowadays really supposed to do all that boring shit?
Is software engineering, comp sci or systems engineering any better in that regard?
Does an autistic faggot like me even have a chance of getting a bachelors in engineering?

Kinda sounds like it. I studied physics, maths, programming and a group orientated class in my first year.

Also in mechatronics
Never have to deal with people except in labs and the one big design project we have to do
But Im also not a clapper

when you say bio-eng, does that also include biomedical engineering? also, was it difficult getting a BS in mechanical engineering?

>>student or already in the workforce?
Work
>>level of education?
Bachelor
>>discipline?
ChemE/Metallurgy
>>current projects?
Working on optimising grinding pulp chemistry when milling oxidised ore. Pretty much done, will likely save the mine $800k+ in lost copper annually.
>>anything interesting?
Always interesting projects going on in mines, pretty much every department has some sort of project they're working on (EE, enviros, mechs, mining engineers etc). Get to work alongside almost all types of engineers so I'm always learning.
Plus the mining industry pays graduate engineers like $125k+ straight out of uni with an equal time roster.

Who deals with alternative energies more, Chemical or Mechanical engineers?

Mechanical

In my experience is just the first year, they do it so autistic people make friends and groups.

My intro to EE and Comp Sci was like this. The projects were group projects and the first three weeks of class were all about working as a team effectively.

interesting, what about biofuels, and biomaterials?

I'm an chem engineer and some of my classmates have no regard for the material, just plug n chug. I went back to school to learn, I feel like I'm in the aisles of the hardware section of Walmart. I need a shower

ChemE seems like a mixed bag, it looks like there's a lot of interesting topics in it, but at the same time stuff like pulp/paper, and process engineering sounds mind numbing.

what kind of job prospects are there for someone with an associate of science with an engineering field of study? i'm getting a B.S. minimum, but in the mean time i was wondering what kind of positions someone who had at least that much could apply for.

I think a lot of engineers would rather do something useful with their time

Where are you located?

I'm a robotics masters
It's nowhere near as cool as you think

Just a fuckin
Huge
Amount of kalman filters and statistics
Embedded programming is hell

Useless endeavour

Sounds pretty cool actually

Like an analogue instrument from scratch

Queensland, Australia.

Go NASA mate, you have time to handle the switch out later and the name itself will help you land a gig anywhere

Mechanical is just the mechanics of how shit works
It's basically modelling
If you end up doing courses in transport phenomena near the end you'll see how they've managed to model and equate nearly every single physical process with one another
You can equate the drag on a water droplet with pressure inside a gun barrel