How do i stop fucking up my rice? i put in half a cup in...

how do i stop fucking up my rice? i put in half a cup in, and 1 and 1/4th cups water in and let it sit for about 20 minutes on medium heat but always turns to mush.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=52SdDecA-Q0
thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-perfect-basmati-rice-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211157
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>boil some water
>pour a cup of rice in a pot and pour over 2 cups of water
>it's always 1 part rice 2 parts hot water
>cover and cook on low for 15-20 minutes without peeking or taking the lid off
>after 15-20 minutes fluff up with a fork and you're done

It might take some time to get used to but once you get it right it's pretty much impossible to fuck up.

Check your water:rice ratio. Try altering it - there is no real ideal ratio as rices differ, just as much in cooking time as they do in water ratio to use. 2:1 is just a rule of thumb but you really have to just learn it through trial and error.

If it turns to mush, you've used too much water.

I mostly cook basmati or japanese sushi style rice, but the technique is the same.

> rinse the rice thoroughly, no need to do this multiple times like some tards
> cover the rice with water plus about 1 inch above the rice line, I've found this works for almost any quantity. If in doubt add less than you think and top off with small amounts of water at the end
> max heat from cold water
> as soon as movement in the water turn to lowest setting
> don't open it until the water looks like it's gone
> if it's too wet, let it cook longer
> if the water is gone but the rice is chewy, add a bit of water

Additionally, if you manage to cook it right, turn the heat off, stir the rice a bit, put the lid back on and just leave it for a few minutes, it will get fluffier.

> cover the rice with water plus about 1 inch above the rice line, I've found this works for almost any quantity.
That depends on the size of the pot. But it's about 1:1.5 rice:water ratio.

>medium heat
This is probably the reason. You don't want your water boiling, which it probably is on medium heat. You want it to be just barely simmering, so use a lower heat setting.

for calrose, I wash it like 4 times. and have a 2cups water to 1 cup rice. But I use a rice cooker and don't soak the rice.

1C of rice rinsed until water runs clear, 1.5C water, salt, fresh bay leaf. All in a non stick pot. Cover with lid and tea towl. High until water is at rollong boil. Burner on low for 12minutes. Take off heat and let sit for another 3 minutes. 1tbsp of butter and fluff with a fork.

i don't think the amount of water matters. boil, add rice boil 10 minutes.

Boil your water then turn it down so it's simmering

Its your ratio my dude. Also consider getting a rice cooker if you make rice reguarly. Its the one of the few unitaskers I would recomend to anyone because they make the best rice and they free up stove space.

You only need to rinse it if you wanna get rid of some of the starch. Some rices are more starchy than others so they can get goopy after cooking. Others won't need it.

>medium heat
Once the water boils put pan on lowest heat.

I tried soaking for 1/2 an hour last night and it seemed to give a softer, fluffier rice(calrose), but I'd love to do a side by side comparison to see if I'm tricking myself with a placebo.

way too much water. just do 1:1 water and rice (a lot of people recommend a little more water than rice, but 1:1 usually works fine for me). if its too mushy, use less water next time. if it's too hard, use more water next time.

youtube.com/watch?v=52SdDecA-Q0

How to cook rice. Easy to understand.
But it really is not seen by the necessary people.
Probably not being seen is the title is Japanese.

>rinse starch off rice
>put on medium high until boiling
>cut to low
>cut the heat when it looks ~90% done
>let steam take care of the rest

Or just let your mom do it.

yeah the amount of water doesn't matter AT ALL, nor does the cooking time or even amount of rice. just throw it in the pan and cook it, it should work. you probably don't even need a pan just throw it all on the burner.

>2:1 ratio of water to rice
>bring water to boil
>add salt (which raises the boiling temp)
>add rice
>lower heat to a simmer ("med-low")
>let sit for 15-20 minutes (depending on elevation in your area (higher elevation = needs more cook time)
>remove from heat, drain excess water, and let sit for 5 minutes

There, you just made rice... unless you're wanting to make brown rice, that's a bit different.

I used to have this problem with rice, every time. I fixed it by actually reading and following directions.

Different rices have different recommended water ratios and cooking times. E.g. for jasmine rice, I think it is 1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water.
>Cook until boiling
>Reduce heat to lowest setting
>put on cover and let it simmer for 15 minutes
>then take the pan off the heat (still covered)
>let it stand for another 10 minutes so it steam cooks
>fluff up the rice with a fork

This has worked everytime, but those were the directions on the package. You might just be eyeballing the amount of water and misjudging maybe, or you have a shitty pan and cover.

I think he probably boils rice like pasta and then drains it

If people only followed the fucking cooking instructions on the bag the rice comes in. The distributors probably have nutritionists or chefs who are paid to come up with a decent recipe.

Also, if any of you don't read the manuals for the shit you buy: fuck you.

A big issue most people have is getting the right burner setting though, it's not the rice and water ratios. You're told to put the heat on low after bringing the rice and water to a boil but on some stoves the low setting is barely warm, and you'd need to use medium low.

How do you fuck up rice? Just follow the directions on the bag duh.

This is a good point, especially on electric stoves, it's hard to tell.

Rinse it well, use less water, and/or use different rice.

Did you activate the rice first, or just throw it in the pan with water?

You're clearly putting in too much water. You need 2 cups of water for every cup of water. Don't forget to stir it, add some salt, and oil, you lazy retarded fuck.

rinse your rice too

>You need 2 cups of water for every cup of water, you lazy retarded fuck.

Yeah I'm going to have to test it soon by having pots of water on different temperature settings to see what I should actually be using for rice. My brown rice usually comes out like oatmeal because I can't get the right heat setting.

I'm inclined to say that your issue is the water-rice ratios, but are you stirring the rice constantly by any chance? Doing so will turn the rice into congee (which will also happen if you do the same while making fried rice). Assuming you're making rice in a pot and not a rice cooker, boil your rice and water together with occasional stirring to prevent any sticking. Once it's reached the boiling point, turn down the heat until it's just simmering. The rice will be done when the water reduces down.

20 minutes is too long (if you are OP). Try the cook covered for 15 minutes and rest covered for another 10 minutes approach, and just use 1 cup rice to 1.5 water. Then adjust heat setting s from there if that doesn't work. I used to way overcook my rice because I had too much water to start off with.

dont forget to rinse your water

Here you go OP I made a simple recipe for you, you lazy retarded fuck

2 cups of water is too much, the proper ratio is 1 cup water to 1.5 cups of water for fucks sake

Leave it to you autists to make something so simple so fucking complicated. Buy a fucking not shit rice cooker and you have perfect rice every time. Fuck you can steam vegetables with them while cooking rice.

rice cookers are for plebs, pan method is OG and requires no extra fucking appliance

Sorry you live in a shack and have no space for something that takes up no space. Why you spend 10-15 minutes fuckin around trying to be authentic I take 30 seconds to prepare it so I can go on with my life.

It takes the same amount of time using a pan, maybe a few extra seconds to turn off the heat

You mean one should bring the water to boiling first than pour it on top of the rice and than keep cooking? Why not just throw the rice in the boiling water?

1 to 2 for brown rice.

1 to 1.5 rice water for white rice

>i put in half a cup in, and 1 and 1/4th cups water
That's WAY too much fucking water. Even 1:2 rice:water is usually too much, depending on cooking method.

Best way is to start with a 1:1 ratio, then adjust slightly depending on your results and/or cooking method. The cooking method I use involves heating the rice over slightly-more-than-medium heat until most of the water is absorbed, turning the rice, then steaming covered on low. This is common in Latin/Caribbean countries, so I can use a little more water (this also depends on your stove and cookware).

It's not just your water ratio. Your cookware and stove have a lot to do with it too. You're just going to have to be a little scientific about it until you learn to be a "rice whisperer." It can't be told; you just have to do it. You generally want a heavy pot, nothing too thin. You want to be able to control your heat source very accurately. I cook on a shitty electric coil from the 70s and it sucks balls, so I have to start at a heat way higher than it should be, and moderate it down as I go. And I simmer on a medium-low rather than low.

You want a pot with a tight-fitting lid, preferably a lid that is designed to catch excess water, which you don't want falling back on your rice. A lot of Latinos and Asians use banana leaf or foil beneath the lid to seal their pots. I don't think this is necessary if you have a good pot.

Don't stir too often. Generally, stirring is verboten after you've sealed the lid, although you can "turn" the rice gently from bottom to top every 15-20 minutes or so. Too much stirring makes it mushy. You can also lift the lid a few times. Ignore the people who say "never lift the lid." Although again, you need to be able to control your heat.

If your rice turns out too hard, cover it again, raise the heat very slightly, and steam it for 15 more minutes. Check; you might need to repeat the last step again. If it still turns out too hard you need more water or higher heat.

>ingredients: water, water, salt, butter
>cook for 20 minutes
Sounds like a great way to fuck up your pot.

AY YO!

Lemme tell you how to make some bomb rice.

For white rice:

1 cup rice, washed
1-3/4 cups water

1. Add rice to water, bring to boil on high heat without lid.
2. Cover with lid, turn heat down to lowest and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. With lid still on, take off heat and let sit another 5+ minutes.

Perfect every time.

become asian

1 cup rice 2 cup water let it boil make it out let the fuckingthjng closed for 15-20 minutes and et voila ready

Christ on a stick. Rice is the easiest shit to cook.

Do this. Never don't do this.

thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-perfect-basmati-rice-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211157

>ITT:white people cooking rice in pots
Laughing with my superior rice cooker here

>having a useless device thats only for rice

Sure thing. I bet you also got a extra fryer?!? Just do oil in pot and use a fat thermometer

>being a poorfag
lmaoing @ ur life hombre

1 cup rice, 2 cups water
bring water to boil. In the meantime, sautee the rice
pour boiling water on the translucent rice
cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the water is mostly gone
kill the heat and leave covered to steam itself for 15 minutes

>He's not able to buy rice cooker
Poor guy, are you the one who uses EBT for shoping too?

Nigga u retard
That's like banning toaster because having a pan

Too much water?

1 cup rice = 1.2 cup water

Does eating white rice cause caustipation?
I have fucked up intestines and last time I ate a bunch of white rice I woke up sweating a dry heaving . From what I assume was a bowel blockage. I mainly eat low protein high fiber. But I miss eating rice :(

Actually comes in handy when you eat a fuckton of rice
> cook a lot of indian dishes
> cook a lot of american - chinese dishes
> est rice
Nub

You can't use too much water, just make sure to flush away the water right away after cooking

Sometimes it's just the rice that can become mushy. Let it sit in water for 15 to 20 minutes and then cook it.

Shut the fuck up

sincerely doubt rice was responsible for that. white rice CAN cause constipation but you probably have to be really sensitive to that sort of thing I think. brown rice can actual make you poop, I think.

yeah just googled it.

Thabks dub dubs

Rice cooker, nigga

ITT ppl buy usless devices for cooking

do not mix it, really, do not even open the fucking lid.

speaking of which, where are you cooking your rice?

How do you people fuck up rice? I just toss it in the pot at the highest heat and take it off when I determine it to be done. Comes out perfect each time

Read and follow the directions. Rice growers and distributors have literal years and even decades of R&D in perfect cooking directions for their particular strain of rice.

>Bring water to a boil
>Put in rice
>Stir
>Turn off heat
>Cover with lid, stir occasionally
>After all the water is absorbed, take the lid off and let it dry out
Works for me at least

>white rice CAN cause constipation but you probably have to be really sensitive to that sort of thing I think.
Depends on how much of it you eat and the rest of your diet. If you're not getting fiber anywhere else and mainly eating white rice with meat or something, both of those things can cause constipation. If you're eating white rice just make sure you're eating some vegetables with it to make up for the lack of fiber.

>he does not know amazing recipes that can be cooked using rice cooker
Spoken like a true white man

Low quality bait

>ITT:whites who do not know about the secret finger

This. We always double rinse our white rice to get as much starch off as possible. I actually go less on the water and let it boil out until its 90% done like you said and then cover it on low heat to steam the rest if the way. If you mound it up and pour a little oil on top before you cover it to make concon.

lol, i can't believe the editors published her bullshit method with that picture. basmati rice when cooked well should NOT look like that. every grain should be separate and almost have a bounce to it. it should look like pic related.

he's not wrong. if you let the rice soak before cooking the rice slowly expands as it absorbs the water. then when you cook it it expands to full size. since the amount of expansion is lesser in soaked rice as compared to unsoaked rice there's lesser compression and lesser starch expelled by the rice.

Microwave 1 cup of uncle bens with 2 cups of water for 18 minutes. Perfect rice every single time.

Most inefficient way to cook rice award

No. Different strains of rice can take different proportions of rice and water. Also, you don't use the same proportions when cooking large quantities of rice.

I've read of one interesting way to prepare rice but have never tried it.

To do it, you pretty much have to determine ahead of time what quantities you can handle.

1) determine the quantity of rice and water you can cook in your thermos bottle
2) boil water
3) pour rice in thermos bottle
4) fill with boiling water
5) cap
6) let sit all day.

I have absolutely no idea how this turns out.

we have a contender

Bring 2c water to boil
Add 1c rice
Return to boil
Reduce heat to low
Stir if not sticky rice
Cover
14m short grain
18m long grain
Pour and spread on something to cool
Rice

I live in a hot climate. I usually just put 1 cup rice to about 2/3rd's cup water in a tupperware dish on my car dashboard and leave it there all day while i'm at work. It usually done by the time I get off work, easy as pie.

1 part rice 2 parts water, you used a 4th of a cup too much.
Also different species of rice will have different consistency, I find Jasmine rice absorbs water at a faster rate than basmati and is less likely to get that mushy consistency

>20 minutes

If you're just looking to boil white rice then that's far too long on the heat. I cook white rice for about ~8 minutes boiling.

If I steam it then I wash it thoroughly, add it to a pot 2:1 water:rice, turn on the heat until steam is generated, then knock it down to low and let it go for about ~12 minutes.

You gaping asshole. Cook the recipe and it is fluffy. YOu Stupid stupid fuck.

What if I live at a higher elevation and water boils quicker? How do i compensate? Is the water absorption property of the rice affected by this?

What if the speed of sound is much higher at 80.000 feet? Stop being a stupid asshole in front of everyone.

Are you just that kind of asshole all the time, in front of everyone in your life?

Where did stupid fuckface go?

I guess I'm not going to try cooking rice for a while. Thanks, guy.

remember that you matter.

>i put in half a cup in, and 1 and 1/4th cups water

what are you trying to make, fucking congee, who even told you this

for brown rice, maybe

>2:1 is just a rule of thumb

seriously where is this a rule of thumb

Other people in this thread are saying it too but I'm too lazy to pick it all out.
For jasmine, most basmati, Long-grain white, And calrose rice, the ratio is 1:1.5 (rice/water).

For Arborio (table style, not risotto), Brown, Some species of landrace/wild rice, the ratio is always 1:2 (rice/water)

Calrose, Long grain white, and basmati prefer a full rinse (3 times, until water runs clear) and 30 min - 1 hour soak before cooking. soaking before cooking reduces necessary cooking water by about 1/4 cup per hour of soak per cup of rice, though that's brand/process/altitude dependent.

Jasmine typically gets a strong rinse but no soak by tradition.

you shouldn't be wasting Arborio on table rice, but if you do, full, long rinse and no soak. same goes for most European rices.