ITT: Current book you're reading, are you enjoying it?

ITT: Current book you're reading, are you enjoying it?

still life with woodpecker

only finished the first part. so far not really but now that they introduced the bomber im expecting the story to start moving along to something more interesting than just the life of a sheltered could-have-been mom

Leave this board and never return if any one of these applies to you:
>you read any form of genre fiction
>you barely know your classics
>you tend to believe that if you like a given work, it is justified on an artistic level
>you think everyone's opinion should be accepted and respected
>you speak a single language
>you read contemporary versions of Shakespeare or Milton
>you read for the plot
>you read for entertainment
>you rarely read nonfiction
>you don't have a solid grounding in philosophy
>you don't have at least have some understanding of the Three Tragedians and Homer
>you have little to no understanding of literature outside of your cultural horizon
>you have little to no understanding of literature within your own cultural horizon
>you mostly read contemporary literature
>you believe 'the author is dead'
>you make your literary analysis proceed from ideology
>you think intricate prose is 'pretentious' and that the author 'should just get to the point'
>your rarely read poetry
>you think Rhythm and Rhyme is just useless rules and laws restricting creativity
>you have a hard time explaining why you like a given work
>you have a hard time forming structured and relevant literary criticism
>you tend to refuse to judge works for yourself, rather relying on the opinions of literary authorities
>you rarely read for more than one or two hours straight

Zarathustra

Yeah, turns out I'm more of a Nietzsche guy than expected. Sometimes wonder if I should worry about being too influenced by it given how few books I have under my belt, but luckily that's a meme.

I'm reading this. About 25% of the way through and loving it. I just love learning about the universe in general.

>inb4 tip fedora

Every day I labor to live up to this standard, non ironically.
Elitism continues to improve me as a person.

>Current book you're reading
Campbell Biology - 10th Edition
The Poetry of Sir Samuel Ferguson
>are you enjoying it?
very much so

>you speak a single language
b-but user, How do you go about learning new languages? I personally can't no matter what i've tried. What am i doing wrong?

don't give up. keep studying the language.

You're kind of a faggot aren't you?

Reading Michael Kohlhaas right now and it's alright. It started out pretty great and I still like the premise a lot. But all those relations of the dozen titles, families, names etc. is way overboard for a small book like that and I think you could've solved it better. Just look at this shit, why would you need it in a book with >150 pages. At least half of them are completely irrelevant anyway.

anti-oedipus

very much so

Lolita

Snow Country. It's comfy, better than most I read recently.

The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao.

Sorta good. I like Diaz' prose.

The Exegesis of Philip K Dick.
>tfw I took of the dust jacket
I'm reading all about it, pretty comfy mostly sometimes intense.
So yes I'm enjoying the evening hours I spend with it so far.

So I can't read anything?
>non-fiction is a subgenre of fiction.

Mason & Dixon

no.

Just started reading it. It's good so far, David is talking about African music and Classical music.

Just wait till you get to the mechanickal duck

Finnegan's Wake
Still on Book I. I feel like a lot of things are going over my head, but I'm mostly looking for all the instances of HCE and ALP and the kids. A lot of parts make me laugh aloud though, the museyroom section was gr8.

Have you read A Thousand Plateaus? I used parts of the intro for an essay last semester and I'm very curious about the rest of it, and the companion book.

The Stranger by Camus

No, but i can see how the adventure of this sperglord resonate with other sperglords. Also pretty sure the sparse prose is supposed to be a parody of "manly" writers like Hemmingway. It's still a pretty dull book.

Looking out to read Poetics by Aristotle as i absolutely loved Politics and The Nicomachean Ethics and i'm curious to see what he says about writing. To people with experience with Aristotles, how comprehensible is Metaphysics? I have a pretty decent background in other greek philosophers, if that is needed.

I'm past that part

>Against the Day
>not sure, I've only read the first line

The Crying of lot 49.

It's really short so I should already have finished it but I'm not a native speaker and some sentences are quite hard to understand (but it's already hard even if you're a native speaker, isn't it?), but I like it so far.

You're enjoying it, but do you think it's really great, outside of entertainment? If you want to learn about the Universe, I'm sure there are better books than this one. Also, are you sure there is no strong ideological value "hidden" in that book?

I'm curious about this, I had no idea it was a thing. Why would David Byrne be qualified to talk about these subjets tho? I love Talking Heads, but he's just a pop artist, isn't he?

>strong ideological value "hidden" in that book
I'm fairly certain there isn't. at least so far. I find learning about the universe and it's working extremely interesting and entertaining. Also, do you know of any other books that are better? I am really looking for more.

Well, I don't know if there are better books than this one, but I heard Tyson is seen as a joke by a lot of scientists. It might be because of his political standpoints and not because of his science stuff tho.

>Metro 2033
>Page 400
It's ok

>all but 3 apply to me
>have browsed Veeky Forums for years
Fuck off m8 no one cares.

>What am i doing wrong?
Your native language is English, that what's wrong

fuck off

I never heard of him being seen as a joke.
Politics usually ruin everything in my experience. I was going to pick up The System of the World by Issac newton. sounds pretty interesting.

That can't be helped though.

that book is literally hilarious

He sure makes some hilarious words. "Anonymoses" and "Scandiknave" are two that stick out in my memory.

Oh yeah. There's a ton of dick jokes in the there.

Literally in the first paragraph
>"his penisolate war"

lmao. James Joyce really his king shit of dick jokes

>Campbell Biology - 10th Edition
nice, i actually continued reading my organic chem book because i liked my classes so much. even though i wont really use it in a lab or anything, its nice to know how things work.

>its nice to know how things work
Agreed. It's #4 on The Open Syllabus Project so I'm giving it a go. It's very informative so far.

>so user whats that book about

Paedopheelya

>The Stranger
>a dull book
>adventure of sperglords

Found the high schooler

Yeah, it's pretty good
You?

Fahrenheit 451
Yea its getting interesting in the second half

Mate, this is the kind of book high schoolers eat up, take your projecting to the cinema theatre where it belongs.

>Cicero - De Natura Deorum
S'good. Real good. I'm not reading it in Latin because I'm not quite there yet and that would mean a lot of re-reading (something I'm doing right now with Senecae - Epistulae)

Fiction doesn't equal genre fiction. Read.

I loved Ethics too, and Poetics is good. I made it halfway through Physics, picked up on only a few key points, but I'd say for a real comprehension you'd need to read some of the Organon, and then besides that: re-read and take notes. It's the driest of the Greeks

i've read the first two books of the Organon, i guess i'll read the other two or three before touching Metaphysics. Thanks for the answer.

Genre fiction doesn't equal bad fiction (yeah sometimes of course, but same with lit fic)
Also the Exegesis doesn't fit neatly into genre fiction anyway

Very interesting. I have Moby-Dick on deck.

I apologize.

Making my way through and enjoying it because it's a compilation of works by guys I expected to have to read in college and never really did, but a lot of the selections are a little difficult to take too seriously. Especially the ones on how the humanities in general stack up to science when it comes to truth and understanding. First selection is Wilde I THINK seriously arguing that art creates nature. Seems to point out how that argument doesn't work too though. Dunno. Still interesting and it's good to know the arguments and Wilde is brilliant etc. The selections by painters seem more lucid generally. Would recommend.

>Current book?
Steppenwolf

>Am I enjoying it?
The parallels I see of myself in this book are astounding, all egoism aside; and with cliche brought forward, I really feel as though this book is reading me frighteningly (excitingly?(frightcitingly?)) well. Absolutely would recommend to anyone who feels out of place in and appalled by the bourgeois yet yearns to be a part of it, akin to a yearning from an unbridled, childlike love of all that is apart of your life.

Finnegans Wake

Absolutely, it's a blast to read despite understanding basically nothing.

It's a very funny book if you like absurdly complex puns and dick jokes.

It also touches on quite a lot of timeless themes in a manner not done either before or since. It's Joyce's true masterpiece.

yep. it's definitely wilder and crazier than AO but definitely worth your time

Lolita
Nabokov is a genius

>Current book you're reading
Ulysses

>are you enjoying it?
I don't think I'm smart enough to get it, but I like how the wordplay feels

platform by michel houlbeqque
NO

The Good Soldier Ċ vejk

It's what Catch-22 could have been, it's actually funny, loving it

>Zettel's Traum
I really like the part where they talk about Edgar Allan Poe and make horrible dick jokes.