Ok Veeky Forums red pill me on MSG. Is it safe to eat? What foods does it enhance the most?

Ok Veeky Forums red pill me on MSG. Is it safe to eat? What foods does it enhance the most?

Other urls found in this thread:

genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=Kcnk18
bbc.co.uk/news/health-11408113
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=search&term=18190784&dopt=b
bioscience.org:80/1998/v3/d/palmada/6.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it's fine to eat
savory dishes idk try it out

Just don't over season like a retard and you'll be fine. Use in any dish known to be savory.

Naturally occuring bound glutamate occurs in bouillon and broths, use that instead.

Msg is just a lazy chink's way of adding flavor. Last I heard there was a pathway proven linking it to headaches

>New gene found for Migraine that predisposes someone to be affected by environmental factors
genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=Kcnk18

>The gene is also nicknamed the TRESK gene.See story from BBC:
bbc.co.uk/news/health-11408113

>According to THIS article:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=search&term=18190784&dopt=b

>GLUTAMATE ACTIVATES TRESK.

Throw some in a meaty stew.

IIRC about 10% of the population reacts badly to MSG.
Anyway, there's better ways to get savory flavors than from a packet.

I've had the piwdered stuff before but dunno if it hekped because I was in shit mode. Stillhard to imagine itcomparing to products with flavoutmr like su dried tomato ir seaweed. Might be like addingvodka compared toa whisky. Brb wine.

yes its safe. Enhances things that need more of a meaty flavor

>IIRC about 10% of the population reacts badly to MSG.
That's complete bullshit and you know it

>Naturally occuring bound glutamate occurs in bouillon and broths, use that instead
its literally the same thing

There are better tasting ways, but if cheap and easy yet still good is your goal it can be quite useful

How many people do you know get headaches from eating ramen?

Maybe it was 5%, I don't remember the specifics but the vast majority of people have no conditions that MSG might fuck with so it's pretty much safe.

There is literally no evidence that anyone has glutamate sensitivity. Its just a long held myth

Tends to be free glutamate, less d-glutamate

MSG is safer to consume than a lot of the other shit you probably eat on a daily basis. You're going to die of cancer eventually. Might as well eat the foods you like.

No, what happens is
>omg i just ate 3k worth of sugar and fat y do i feel like shiet
>wait i red msg is bad
>it must be that!!!!!!!!

There's no scientifically-reputable evidence even suggesting MSG is bad and the notion that it's cheating is just as nonsense as salt being cheating.

Well, I think we found the MSG marketing shills.

Checked.
Also check

Any source on this? Commercial MSG is still biologically derived so it should still hold the same stereoconfiguration as that found in broths

>clickbait and articles the poster clearly never read beyond the headline
ok

Why do the liberal natural/organic food, anti-GMO, anti-MSG, anti-vax, vegan crowd always say people telling basic scientifically established truths are paid by a company.
Most normal people just like telling people true things so when they here you spout myths and superstitions they correct you (though you people seem to call this mansplaining these days, so I guess that motive is bad too)

1) yes
2) all of them
yw

>When a food source rich in this natural glutamate is denatured by fermentation, heat and/or chemicals, the peptide linkages are broken down and free l-glutamic acid is created along with d- glutamic acid.

>the NIH is clickbait
Grasping at straws. Call mr when you find an argument

So people with a certain genetic disposition may get headaches from glutamate, including naturally occurring glutamate?

Glutamate does not know whether it is natural or not. Natural is not a scientific term and has no meaning in chemistry

Also I am confused, are you saying it is better for you when it is racemic or when the biological form is predominant?

Also the denaturing of peptide links has nothing to do with whether the chemical is in the D or L form, the peptide bond is between the amine and the carboxylic acid, the two opposite ends of the amino acid, meanwhile the stereocenter is the carbon to which both of those groups are attached, so when a peptide link is broken that center carbon is still bonded to the same 4 atoms (the amine, the carboxylic acid, the R group that varies amongst amino acids, and a H) so there is no opportunity for those 4 links to swap spots, you would need to detach one of those bonds and rereact in a different orientation

Naturally occuring is more appropriately the term. Strict chemistry does not differentiate, but biochemistry does.

Different forms of glutamate have been implicated in different ways, but one thing is that excess L-glutamate can be harmful after a stroke or other brain damage
bioscience.org:80/1998/v3/d/palmada/6.htm

All significant dietary sources of glutamate are made through the same biochemical means, whether it is occurring "naturally" in meat or cheese or seaweed, or farmed in bacteria as storebought MSG is

itt: poor fags justifying msg for their $2 walmart steaks

My family has been using this shit all my life. Didn't even know it was MSG because we just called it ajinomoto.

Why would you need MSG on a steak? No matter how cheap it is, its still a steak, MSG is for when lack of meat is a problem, it has little use on straight up meat

and just because people tell you your irrational superstitions are untrue doesn't suggest they have an ulterior motive

muh science

If you have to use MSG in your food to make it taste good you're a fucking failure.

>it has little use on straight up meat
I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this. This gunpowder seasoning is mostly MSG and is fucking great on pork chops, especially on a charcoal grill.