What are some good music-related books, Veeky Forums?

What are some good music-related books, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=c3qOZUksxUU
gutenberg.org/files/35041/35041-h/35041-h.html
en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_musical_tour_through_the_land_of_the_past
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Ingarden
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Moist music.
definitely will have to read it though [\spoiler]

m.youtube.com/watch?v=c3qOZUksxUU
In case you didn't get the reference.

Adorno's Philosophy of New Music

Anything by Charles Rosen.

Your Brain on Music.
Interesting look at music from a neuroscientist's perspective.

The rest is noise by Alex Ross

is that book a good read? i love david byrne

I just started reading it, it's good so far.

Got a link to the epub/mobi of this OP?

This is a solid "cultural history" of the 20th century in classical music. I definitely enjoyed it.

I haven't read much else but I plan on getting books of essays by Bernstein and Cage.

That's a really good book OP. My only complaint is that Byrne really jumps around from subject to subject.

>pic related
is in a similar tone, but I feel goes more in depth into most of what Byrne says, and gives more examples.

He states in the beginning of the book that the book was written with narrative structure not the being the most important aspect. You can pretty much jump between the chapters, or read them in whatever order you please.

I still really like the book, the jump was just a little jarring at points.

Which part did you like the best? Personally, I liked how he talked about how environment is vital in shaping music.

baroque era
gutenberg.org/files/35041/35041-h/35041-h.html

en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_musical_tour_through_the_land_of_the_past

This.

The semi autobiographical part where he talks about how he got into making music, and all of the technical/ aesthetic aspects when making music.

No, I got it from the library

The Story of Crass/Last of the Hippies
Our Band Could Be Your Life
Bound for Glory
Tarantula
Let Us Compare Mythologies
A Spaniard In the Works
Anything by John Cage

rare aesthetics: Roman Ingarden - The Work of Music and the Problem of Its Identity
his main idea was that perception goes through several quality layers

>Before World War II, Ingarden published his works mainly in the German language. During the war, he switched to Polish, and as a result his major works in ontology went largely unnoticed by the wider world philosophical community.

> After the Operation Barbarossa 1941 under the German occupation Ingarden secretly taught students mathematics and philosophy. After his house was bombed, he continued work on his book, The Controversy over the Existence of the World.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Ingarden

I'm sure you don't care and were just showing off your libgen skills but that book by Wayne Chase in the pic is really good. He tries to shill some system but besides that it's great.

Style and Idea by Schönberg is cool, written by the OG of 20th century music. I've also heard that Alex Ross book The Rest is Noise is good.

majority is just gossip about inter-composer social shit. oh, remember when stravinsky stopped returning calls in 1938 or when this critic left the concert before it was over? cant stand it.

I never read it, just heard that it's supposed to be good. That does sound a bit dull

Check out interviews with Schönberg, they're on the internet. Also Music and musicians; essays and criticisms by Schumann, it's on the internet as well. Especially the Rules at the very end are good.

Thanks for the recommendation. I like music

Of course not! It's the most watered down idiotic shit ever. It's like a public television documentary about 'music'.

Thanks!

He just published a new edition of this book with another chapter. Has anyone read it yet?