What are the pros and cons of multivitamins?

What are the pros and cons of multivitamins?

Attached: images.jpg (250x201, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

annals.org/aim/fullarticle/1789246/high-dose-multivitamins-minerals-after-heart-attack
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3868488/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

As I understand it, a balanced diet will provide all the vitamins you need (provided you do not have an underlying medical issue). Once your body has the vitamins it requires, any excess is excreted. Personally, I think OTC multivitamins are a waste of money. Maybe someone with some real knowledge will reply to this thread.

It’s very rare for people to get their daily recommended doses of every vitamin every day.

The efficacy of multivitamins is contentious but why wouldn’t you just take them? They certainly won’t hurt you.

All of this. Why would you risk being deficient on the dozens of essential nutrients we need when you can just take a pill costing cents a day?

It's a good way of covering all bases and making sure you're not deficient in something that you're not getting in your diet, especially useful for people on restrictive diets like vegans. There don't seem to be a lot of downsides.

>They certainly won’t hurt you.

Bio-availability
Too much of certain vitamins and magnesium/calcium etc is bad.

>Bio-availability
That's a neutral concept?
>Too much of certain vitamins and magnesium/calcium etc is bad.
Yes, but multivitamins contain the bare minimums of each nutrient. You could easily get multiple times the amounts in more bio-available forms from regular food. Multivitamin is a drop in the water if your diet is so heavily biased that you overdose on any of those nutrients.

Certain multivitamins, especially those aimed at an "active" or "sports" lifestyle contain 200-400% of daily recommended amounts, combined with a rich diet it might result in things going off balance.

For instance, I am prone to getting zits if I take multivitamins even though I am 30.

>Certain multivitamins, especially those aimed at an "active" or "sports" lifestyle contain 200-400% of daily recommended amounts, combined with a rich diet it might result in things going off balance.
That's really an entire other class of multivitamin. I wouldn't take anything that contains over 100% recommended intake of anything that may be harmful in large doses, I view them as a safety net.
>For instance, I am prone to getting zits if I take multivitamins even though I am 30.
Sure there's a correlation? I would seriously doubt that a good multivitamin would play any part in this. If anything, the extra A vitamin intake would probably play a role in reducing akne.

Just gonna point out that nutrients in vitamins are often in different forms, usually harder to digest or less bioavailable, than those found in food. For example, I believe iron and calcium supplements tend to be hard on your kidneys and you don't get all of what you see on the label, from what I've heard.. but that's the extent of my knowledge there, just what I've heard (from a doctor who told me that when I had a kidney infection, mind you).

99% will be evacuate in your urine.

>Vitamins are just expensive pee

>take too much of X
>less of Y is absorbed

Zinc and copper get in the way of eachother iirc, both are important for skin.

In fact, the same happens to me if I take one alone for too long.

Meta-analysis of multivitamin use does not show benefit outside of diagnosed vitamin deficiency.

>live on coffee, sugar, and cheap noodles
Will multivits benefit me in some way?

At least give you the minimum required.
Your body will likely welcome the vitamins.

Coffee is good. Drink a lot of water and eat vegetables. You will be alright.

The only issue I've heard is bioavailability so your gut might not actually gather up as much as you would expect.

Even then that's a minimal issue it basically just means you'll have nutritious piss if you wanna pull a Patches O'Hoolihan.

I wish I was given them as a kid so that I didn't develop such a shitty body during puberty. If I somehow have kids, I'm getting them those multivitamins for children. Especially vitamin D. I was deficient in that because I never saw the sun as a teen. It stunted my growth, as vitamin D is needed to grow bones. I also wasted a lot of energy on lifting. Should have eaten more. The fat kids tended to grow more because they ate more.

What if you drink your urine?

Pros: Added, easily digested, harvested and processed minerals and vitamins that some people struggle to find in food.

Cons: If taken in excess can metabolise as pigmentation, blockage, failure or build up inside the human body.

>but why wouldn’t you just take them? They certainly won’t hurt you.
Oh for god's sake, this is such an annoying """argument""" usually seen coming from religious zealots when you ask for proof of their god and they reply with "prove he doesn't exist!". It is taking the argument, reversing it, and throwing it back. It is lazy.

>What are the benefits of multivitamins?
>They don't have any cons, so why not just take them!!!!1

>outside of diagnosed vitamin deficiency
Perhaps this is the key part, user?

They may have benefits, they most likely don't have drawbacks. That's a net positive.

>may
>most likely
This is the kind of wish-washy wording used by the alternative medicine industry.

We need to see that they DO have benefits - not MAY.

That is basic probability. There's no way to gain certain proof either way, testing methods are limited and we only understand a fraction of how our bodies work. You're free to perform full blood panel if you wanna be more exact.

>no way to gain proof
Into the alternative medicine trashcan it goes.

Give someone an Aspirin > Their headache goes away
Give someone an Antibiotic > Their infection clears up
Give someone a multivitamin > ???

How would you prepare a study that eliminates all sources of error and proves that multivitamins are worthless, brainlet? You probably haven't ever read a single paper, all studies on nutrients have significant margins of error.

>Get 2 Groups of people
>1 Group takes multivitamin. Other takes a placebo(control)
>Control their diet so they are eating exactly the same
>Give them a questionnaire on their general mental and physical health every month
>Take blood test every month
>Report findings after 12 months have passed

If enough correlations are found, and it is repeatable, then multivitamins are on their way to having proven health benefits

What was the base health of the participants? What were the lifestyles of the participants during the study? You'll have to perform the test on a massive amount of people under tight regulation to produce reasonably accurate results. Do you think anybody's done such a test? The answer is, wait for it... no. Now fuck off.

>They certainly won’t hurt you.
[citation needed]

>they hurt you
[citation needed]

since there's no foolproof data either way, why do you think it's a more logical starting ground that they hurt you? do you need a study for every action you take in life, or do you sometimes make decisions based on logic?

I'm not saying it's a flawless test or anything but it's a start.

Researches have tested what multivitamins do not help with, using the exact testing method I described. Take these for example.

annals.org/aim/fullarticle/1789246/high-dose-multivitamins-minerals-after-heart-attack
>Summary: After a median follow-up of 55 months, the occurrence of another heart attack, chest pain requiring hospitalization, the need for cardiac catheterization, stroke, or death did NOT significantly differ between the groups

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3868488/
>Summary: the WHI cohorts provide convincing evidence that multivitamin use has LITTLE OR NO influence on the risk of common cancers, cardiovascular disease or total mortality in postmenopausal women

There is an array of things that multivitamins do not work for, and that array is growing. Maybe they will find some health benefits who knows, but for now there is no evidence that they work outside of diagnosed vitamin deficiency.

I'm still waiting for you to provide the study that shows multivitamins are completely worthless. Since you refuse to utilize logic when the studies are lacking, you should have no grounds for dismissing multivitamins altogether. This is completely fruitless discussion.

what if you sell your urine as a vitamin supplement?

1: The other user didn't specifically state they hurt you. He just didn't know either way.
2: It is a perfectly logical and good starting ground to assume a pill with no "foolproof" data will hurt you.

take vitamin D, zinc and beta-caroten

Attached: snake-oil.png (956x1621, 310K)

pros: you have less disposable income to rot your brain with anime
cons: you may live longer

>1: The other user didn't specifically state they hurt you. He just didn't know either way.
if you're suggesting they don't not hurt you, you're proposing they hurt you
>2: It is a perfectly logical and good starting ground to assume a pill with no "foolproof" data will hurt you.
that would kinda depend on the contents of said pill, wouldn't it? a pill containing minimal amounts of necessary nutrients that are recommended by legal bodies and have been widely studied and shown to be healthy? yeah, totally logical to assume it hurts you.

>I'm still waiting for you to provide the study that shows multivitamins are completely worthless
Once again reversing the burden of proof.

>bring out a product that claims health benefits
>provide proof of said health benefits
It's not that hard.

>Once again reversing the burden of proof.
Nice meme. The fact is that we don't know either way, and until we do I assume multivitamins are a net positive since that's the logical option.

>if you're suggesting they don't not hurt you, you're proposing they hurt you
Asking for proof that they hurt you is not the same as stating they "don't not hurt you"
>widely studied and shown to be healthy
You've changed from "no foolproof data" to this

>Asking for proof that they hurt you is not the same as stating they "don't not hurt you"
I won't argue against this, but there's a fine line between following the scientific method to a T and being obnoxious on a singaporean glass blowing forum
>You've changed from "no foolproof data" to this
just pointed out that blind reliance on still imperfect studies can go both ways.

it's a word of mouth, but I heard you CAN get a vitamin poisoning...

that probably involves somebody taking multiple times the recommended dosages a day?

OK so we at least agree that there isn't any definitive studies proving that multivitamins are harmful or beneficial?

I guess your the type of person that will take them to be safe, and I'm the type that wont take them because there is no evidence.

>OK so we at least agree that there isn't any definitive studies proving that multivitamins are harmful or beneficial?
totally agree, if I gave the impression I think otherwise it was a misunderstanding
>I guess your the type of person that will take them to be safe, and I'm the type that wont take them because there is no evidence.
yeah, that's ok. I don't expect to be getting a huge benefit from them if any, just using them because all things considered it seems more likely that they're a net neutral or positive rather than negative

BETA CAROTENE ZERO EVIDENCE

NICE SCAM FAGGOT

Yes, and for a long ass time.

>tumeric root
>none

Nigga what?
Is this thing also telling me my magnesium supps are useless? Don't you need magnesium to better build calcium mass and keep your muscles healthy?

Pros are, unless you overdose on anything, which you should not have to worry about if you follow the label directions, you will be sure of at least getting the recommended dose of the vitamins and other stuff included in the pill, with no real damage to anything other than a small hit to your wallet.

Cons are that if you are eating more-or-less properly, you don;t need to take additional pills for vitamins, you waste some amount of money adding vitamin enrichment to your daily urine production (most excess vitamin content you take on by swallowing the pills is literally pissed away), you increase the slight chance of vitamin overdoes from almost nonexistent to very slightly less nonexistent, etc.

Some would argue that you are also getting your self habituated to swallowing unnecessary pills pushed by for-profit supplement makers, and that while One A Day or Centrum are reasonably responsible companies, that probably put what into the pills they say is in the pills, and probably are fairly careful not to put rat feces or other dangerous shit you don't need in there, other supplement companies are not as conscientious. So I guess beware letting vitamin supplements be a gateway no-drug to other, less reputable, supplements.

And stay aware that you can overdose on most any chemical and convert it into a poison, so understand what you are taking, how much you are taking, at what point it becomes toxic, etc.

I got fucking nasty acne from this brand, it's probably the iodine. Just buy a b-complex, you probably aren't deficient in anything major.

Pros:
If you have a deficiency that you don't know about it will be taken care of.

Cons: Nothing much, under regulation might be a problem but there isn't really any harm in it.

For most people it's just a waste of money.

>Too much of certain vitamins and magnesium/calcium etc is bad.

While this is true, vitamin manufacturers aren't usually loading you with high toxic shit like vitamin A.

We're constantly finding out new info about how vitamins and minerals work in our bodies. A few years ago when the Vitamin D craze took off, people were megadosing on it and in some cases it resulted in the excess vit D causing improper calcium distribution, due to lack of vitamin K. This happened to my friend who got bonespurs in some of his joints where calcium had collected, and this caused arthritis like symptoms. Once he started taking vitamin K along with the vit D at the right ratio, this problem stopped getting worse and I think it eventually corrected itself over time. Its a little more known now, but there are still many people who take vit D without taking enough vit K along with it, and some of these people may run into this problem after a few weeks/months of supplementation.

There may be other examples like this, where the right balance of vitamins/minerals is needed or adverse effects may be occur, and it may take weeks or months for them to show up so it might be hard to pin it down on a specific supplement. However, the issue here may have been the megadosing as opposed to taking the standard conservative one a day type pill which typically has the bare minimum.

Not who you replied to, but how much vitamin D was your friend taking?

Not a huge amount, I think it was only 2,000 or 3,000 IU, and not even daily, but hes also a low weight manlet. Took about 3 weeks to notice the bone spurs.

Ok. I'm taking 1000IU about every second/third day because I never see the sun. I'll be mindful of any arthritis-like symptoms. Thanks

I think that's fine. I've taken 5000 4 or 5 times a week for a few weeks without issue. 1000iu shouldn't be a problem.

>There is no evudence they have benefit but I will take them anyways
Are you absolutely retarded?

Attached: 1452861358067.jpg (639x621, 18K)