How much alcohol a day is okay?

How much alcohol a day is okay?

I read a bunch of sites online saying 1 drink a day for men is actually healthy, but 1 beer makes me a bit drunk, this feels crazy to me. I could safely have 1 beer a day for the rest of my life and not be considered an alcoholic? Is this the case?

Is it safe to have a beer on a Monday night before Halloween to relax and watch some TV?

Id read a medical journal if you really want to know, but moderation (i.e. one glass of wine a day) is probably fine.

you must weigh 100 pounds if 1 beer makes you drunk. dont drink everyday, you'll reach a baseline where you no longer feel the fun effects and just increase your drinking, unless you have great self control which most people do not when it comes to alcohol and drugs

Tfw I hit that baseline about 5 years ago and now I need a 750ml of rum to get a good buzz

Well, no one is gonna judge you for one beer or a glass of wine, it's when you get to 6-12 beers a day or half a bottle of hard liquor that people get worried

alcohol can raise your hdl cholesterol level, ("the good cholesterol"), which is why they say that 1 drink a day is healthy
1 beer a day would not make you an alcoholic unless you either decide later on that you need more and more or you become dependent on that beer

I'd also like an answer. I like to drink a glass of wine with dinner sometimes and I've heard it's healthy to have a glass of wine a day but it gets me tipsy because I rarely drink, is getting tipsy harming me more than the wine is benefiting me?

What if I'm averaging about 18 a day?

No one loves you enough to worry about you.

Well you're not wrong.

Until I stop feeling

I would say that is kind of too much, on a day off maybe but everyday it really is too much.
If its just to get drunk, why so many beers and not vodka or something like that?

You need an entire bottle of 80 proof alcohol to catch a buzz? I'll call bullshit

Not really to get drunk, I just rather enjoy the taste of beer.

1 tablespoon or so, used in cooking.

Even if I enjoy soda I'm not going to down 18 cans a day just because

People are crazy man. My mom's ex would down a 30-pack of piss light every night. Don't know how he managed to go to work everyday.

He's probably an obese alcoholic.

I refuse to believe this is physically possible

He was a meat and potatoes fella, if you get me. big guy 4 u, etc. He would also come into work hungover as fuck most days. It wasn't every night, because sometimes he drank liquor instead, but it seriously was an every day thing. I almost envy the amount of functionality he had being that level of an alcoholic.

Eventually his doctor convinced him to stop because of blood pressure or something and he melted off 50 lbs in a month, go fucking figure. He had a beer gut, but it wasn't even that bad. Just a big ol boy.

Big dudes can drink that's a fact. I knew a guy I played football with who would casually do two double shots back to back one in each hand. I don't understand it because the taste alone would fuck me up.

I am on my way to being obese if i don't stop. I am 175-180 lbs atm.

>but 1 beer makes me a bit drunk

thats adorable :3

is this a joke?

1.2oz of pure alcohol per day if you're a male

1.2/abv as decimal =total amount of alcoholic beverage containing said amount of alcohol

E.g. 1.2oz pure alcohol/.06abv beer=20oz of 6% abv beer

Unless your 5'5" or under, you sound like you're at a normal weight

I'm 6' but I used to be much lighter about 7 years ago when I started drinking every night. Doesn't help my tolerance is through the roof but I think more then one factor plays a role in why I can drink so much.

i don't think anyone could drink 20oz of 6% beer a day everyday and not want more. that's the problem with these daily maximums. they should say that your consumption per day should never exceed this rather than saying this much everyday is fine.

Tolerance is a bitch. Plenty of hardcore alcoholics needs a fifth a day to feel somewhat sober rather than sick and in withdrawal.

I mean an 18 year old doing 4 shots of alcohol just to start the night is pretty impressive. Why do you think this is a joke? His favorite game after the liquor was Edward 40 hands, which he'd do multiple rounds of. Boy is he a fat piece of shit now tho.

My understanding is that you should give your liver 2 or 3 days off in a row to recover. And that heavy binge drinking is also very hard on your system. So based on that, something like a 6 pack per day (depending on your size) for 3 or 4 days then 3 or 4 days sober would be your best balance of enjoyment and health in a week

your liver needs 42 days to recover, not 4

Maybe if you’re a legit alky and have fucked it up already

for a healthy, fit male 3 beers, 3 times a week should be your limit. this is what the army taught me when I was way, way, way, way over my limit.

if you've fucked up your liver 42 days probably won't fix it. i'm talking about normal damage. this isn't in contention to what you've said. 6 pack a day for 3-4 days and 3-4 days off will probably keep you safe. but say you've been on bender and done considerable damage you'll need more that 3-4 days to recover. and you should also probably avoid sugar during that time.

sound advice. what happens for me is 1-2 drinks per day then a day of 8-10 drinks then 1-2 days off. if i can control the day of 8-10 drinks and bring it down to 4 followed by a day of rest i think i'll be in a somewhat safe zone without being completely safe.

No. Dude the liver is the most resilient organ in the body. Lungs are a close second that's why you can drop a pack a day habit and not develop lung cancer later on.

it is resilient but you'd be better off giving it more than a few days off if you're abusing it. around a month. which i know seems impossible for some. i agree about lungs, there's so much paranoia about smoke (cigrette or otherwise) but our grandmothers (or great grandparents in developed countries) spent 4-8 hours in front of a wood or coal fired stove for 60+ years and didn't develop lung cancer.

Makes sense

If you're this paranoid, you're probably on your way to becoming an alcoholic

I'm at around 18 a day as well man, tried to take a day off yesterday just to say I did it and I started going through withdrawals. Couldn't think straight, couldn't focus on anything and I felt like I was dying. You're going to want to taper before you stop drinking, fair warning from a fellow al/ck/

Well, these is what the CDC suggests, and as opposed to condoning drinking or establishing maximums, they warn that alcohol consumption increases the probability of developing colon and prostate cancer in men.

If you can't even take one day off that's a huge issue. I'll be the first to admit I drink too much. But I can take a few days or weeks without any issues other than being a bit of an asshole on the second/third day sober

ITT alcoholics justifying their drinking

i have drunk steadily more over the last 5 years and am now at around 8 pints a day. i am definitely killing myself. you are definitely not.

from what i've read, however, medical professionals are increasingly leaning toward the idea that any level of regular consumption is unhealthy.

the future is STRAIGHT EDGE desu, or high on weed.

Better tell that to the 100 year old lady that does a shot of tequila every day.

>one shot
sounds like a weak ass hoe

What if I have 8-12 drinks on Friday and Saturday, 6 drinks on Sunday, and none Monday-Thurs?

my country recommends a max of 4 ounces of liquor per day (or equivalent in beer/wine) and 2 alcohol free days per week

i usually drink 8-10 ounces but i do strictly follow the 2 alcohol free days per week recommendation

>Extra careful
>Barely ever drink
>Want to avoid drinking too much to harm my health
>On my way to becoming an alcoholic

user are you a dummy?

Binge drinking isn't supposed to be good for you long term

>my country recommends
if every country has different recommendations, then many of those countries are probably wrong.

Which country btw?

>and am now at around 8 pints a day. i am definitely killing myself.

Maybe I'm off the deep end and don't realize it, but that honestly doesn't sound like *that* much alcohol to me.

Is it?

That's an incomprehensibly large amount, you just don't realize it because your body has gotten used to being a raging alcoholic and you don't feel the effects anymore

Try to go a week without a single drop and you will be convulsing as you dry puke

Thats a fuckload to be drinking every single day. About extra 1600 calories per day. That will fuck you up after a few months or years. Your body will be working overtime to process all that alcohol without any break, plus whatever food you are shoveling down your gullet, I'd eat a TON of extra snacky food when I got drunk.

Nah I do a six pack worth of booze some nights.

a six pack on "some nights" is different than 8 pints EVERY single day. 8 pints is over 10 regular beer bottles

>8 pints
Fucking euros. Is a pint 16oz or 20oz? Or what

at what point are you even an alcoholic and why is it a bad thing if you're responsible enough to keep a job and money to fuel your coping mechanism?

Well, shit.

You'll probably be less healthy in your old age and die a little bit sooner.

It's 50cl

well, you are not counting the effects of time. over a few months, or even a couple of years, or excess everyday drinking, you can cope and get by. but you will become fatter and the internal organs of your body will get weaker and more stressed. at a certain point, it will be extremely hard to stop, and you will become a fat bloated pig if you continue doing it into your 30's or 40's. it's easy to fall into the habit of everyday drinking, but after reinforcing this habit for a long time, it becomes very hard to quit and change your ways.

that's 13 drinks at 5% abv, definitely a ton of alcohol to be consuming daily. my alcoholism was only slightly worse than that at my lowest. (granted, i was also only 150 lbs.)

>at what point are you even an alcoholic
when your alcohol consumption is negatively and consistently interfering with your life. there's other ways to parameterize it, but that's the gist.
>why is it a bad thing if you're responsible enough to keep a job and money
it isn't, necessarily. i know this is a cliche, but i don't believe something is a problem until, you know, it becomes a problem. but alcoholism can negatively affect your life in a million other ways besides financially, it's weird that's the only aspect you mention. your body will erode internally and externally, your relationships with friends, family, and romantic partners may be complicated, you could get in trouble with the law, etc.

frankly, if you're a heavy drinker whose life is otherwise together, i don't think you have a big problem. it's your body. the problem is that alcohol dependence and having one's shit together so rarely go hand in hand.

what country would that be user?

Oh yeah to complete my thought I forgot to tell you I knock down a few at lunch regularly

>Big dudes can drink that's a fact.

Andre the Giant said he would drink 119 beers in an average drinking session. Apparently Mike Graham said he saw him down 156 one night.

>119 beers
Forget the alcohol content, the logistics alone are insane. You’d have to chug beers nonstop to drink that many in one night

i could die tomorrow though

Yeah that's impossible

I couldn't even drink that much water in a week

Have you seen Andre? A beer is a single gulp

That's true. that's what you say when you are young and making excuses for drinking a lot. When you are older and stuck in your drinking ways, you might say "I wish I didn't drink so much when I was young, and I wish I wasn't so fat and unmotivated now."

it's hard to think long term, often until it's too late.

i bet you think everyone who uses marijuana is a lazy school drop out too who can't possibly ever make more money than you.

not at all, i'm drinking and smoking weed right now

Snoop dog shouldn't be your role model

Here’s Andre holding a regular beercan.

Who opened the cans for him?

I bet he just squeezed them out like lemons over his mouth.

His 23 slaves

I like both of these mind images.

Go to an al/ck thread you newfag retard. Smirnoffbro used to put down 3 750ml of Smirnoff a night on top of hard drugs. Most of us can easily down a 750ml of 80 proof. Years of drinking will make your tolerance insane. I used to get drunk off of a 6 pack of 5% beer. Few months of doing that every night and I needed a 12 pack. Now I can down a 30 pack in a night and still drink more. Stop before it's too late

it's hard to do it on a work day but i can easily put down 30 on a day off if i'm watching the sportsball games all day
early morning football games are a great excuse to get drunk before noon

That's a big hand

For you

Drinking every day is normal, at least where I'm from.
More than 4-6 beers a night is getting a big nuts though.

This. You can cut off like a third of your liver and it grows back

Was an alcoholic. Took two years of and smoked weed instead. Lost heaps of weight, got fit, had more energy, creativity and thought about things more.
Recently had to quit smoking and took up drinking again. Gained 20kg in three months and have turned into a lazy piece of shit. Nowadays I just get off work, crack open can after can and some out to tv or some grindy Vidya.

Feels bad man.

>calculate your T.D.E.E
>download Myfitnesspal for your phone
>eat/drink under your tdee and you won't gain any weight
It's what I've done for a long time. If I've eaten say, 1800 calories (my tdee) I will go and do an hour of cardio so I have enough calories left to use for alcohol

Weird I was a total unmotivated shit when I used to smoke weed all the time. Alcohol does sap my energy compared to being totally sober but I still get plenty done without any problem

I used to think the same things but tolerance is real

for example I am 55kg manlet and I used to get legit tipsy off one beer, whereas now I drink 3 bottles of red wine a night.