Is there ever a case where you would recommend YA to anybody?

Is there ever a case where you would recommend YA to anybody?

>inb4 "Yes, when they're 12"
>inb4 "Yes, if I hate them"

Yes, when they're 12.

Yes, if I hate them

yes, if they were a young adult

Yes, if it was Lewis Carrol.

Yes, to women.

Only if they're verifiably too dumb to read anything else (which, surprisingly?, has become the norm.)

>pretending that because 99% of a genre is shit, then all of it is shit.

Depends on what they asked for. Like if somebody says "Hey user what's a good sci-fi book about a kid who goes off to space to learn to be a space commander" I'm not going to hurt myself trying to think of something that isn't Ender's Game.

These are actually pretty well written action-adventure fantasy novels. You're probably going to get the most out of them if you're a kid but I'd have no trouble recommending them to an adult who just wants a bit of escapism / a good page turner and is into that kind of thing.

He's a foreigner trying to start reading in English

where are the lines between "low fantasy" and "high fantasy", "YA fantasy" and "adult fantasy", etc.

are they arbitrary? what is LotR? what is GoT?

Please stop inb4ing as OP.

I wouldn't. There's a better alternative at every reading level.

Local newspapers.

Ursula K LeGuin's original Earthsea trilogy is better literature than most of the shite that people wank themselves off over on this board.

>fails to provide one (1) example of the 1% that isn't

Not OP but the His Dark Materials trilogy would be in the 1% for me.

His Dark Materials is the perfect example of how to destroy your own work.

On the top of my head, Terry Pratchett.

honestly, snores. the only book I've managed to enjoy from her is lathe of heaven.

The Chocolate War

Yes, but I'm not 20

On the beach
Redwall
Watership Down
Plague dogs
The hobbit
Wind in the willows
Indian in the cupboard
Hatchet
Island of the blue dolphins
Bridge to Terebithia
Where the red fern grows
The Cay
The red badge of courage
Shiloh
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Ender's Game
D'Auliare's books on mythology
Alice in Wonderland
Great Illustrated Classics

the thing I remember the most about indian in the cupboard is finding a $1 bill someone was using as a bookmark inside the copy I read from the library inside of it when I was maybe 8 or 9.

The Hobbit
Kirinyaga
Starship Troopers
His Dark Materials

These are all maybes and In almost all cases there's an adult book that does the same thing better but they tend to be light reading so there's not much opportunity cost to trying them out.

The first 3 are pretty great

mockingbird isn't awful

Can The Hobbit and Starship Troopers even be considered YA?

These are both cases where association with a for-adults movie adaptation caused us to forget that the source material was published for (and widely read by) children.

I second this

The Bartimeaus Sequence

The Book of the Dun Cow

Sure. If someone wants a genuinely good, but effortless read, I would.

>Watership Down
>The Hobbit
>Alice in Wonderland
>Call of the Wild
>various mythological collections - Irish, Welsh, Native American, Greco-Roman, Chinese, Japanese, as well as folktales from these regions
>Arthurian Legend

There's lots of genuinely good fiction I would consider best for young adults, however, I can understand the nostalgic, "I want to feel like a kid again," read from time to time as well.

Some good ones here.

I would add, Aesop's Fables, The Song of Hiawatha, and most high school recommended readings - which seem "adult" when you're in HS, but quickly seem like "young adult" as you age.

Underage detected, MODS!

The Outsiders

The Alex rider books are actually quite interesting. Nice themes, great story, great characters. Kinda got me questioning things when I read them years ago.

Underrated post

This is actually an interesting point. I, and quite a few people I knew, read Lotr in middle school.

Many adults read YA fiction, and many children read adult fiction. Children reading at an advanced level tend to dip into general audience adult fiction.

The modern concept of a "Young Adult" genre requires both an extension of childhood into the teenage years and the extension of pleasure reading to less advanced audiences.

I remember reading The Cay in the 5th grade. That's not even YA, it's a child level book.

This shit most definitely. Fucked me up as a kid but I appreciated more and more as I aged.

>have a sudden urge to read the harry potter series again
Someone convince me this is a bad idea.

it's a terrible serie.

The two biggest and proudest brainlets I know irl read that series repeatedly and never move on to anything else, which should tell you something.

Wew. Even ignoring her antics during the election J.K. Rowling's fanbase is insufferable.

Enders Game is top-tier.

It's not a joke when people say it's the surest way to tell if someone is unintelligent. It hasn't failed me yet. Just look at how idiotic the people who defend it on here sound. I'm still not sure if it's trolling or what, but it's fun to laugh at.

Add To Kill a Mockingbird to that list and you're golden

Reading very well known YA books is probably needed to fit into popular culture. For example, as everyone on this board knows, the Harry Potter books are mediocre although I thought parts of 4 and 5 were decent. But people will use examples from the books to illustrate a point they are talking about since they assume that the audience will have common knowledge of the books, in the same way a 17th century writer will refer to the Bible without further explanation, because the writer assumes the target audience is familiar with the source material.

>current-day pop culture is worth following

I didn't make any comment regarding whether it was desirable or possible for a typical viewer of this board to follow pop culture or have conversations with normies. I merely state the obvious fact aspects a lot of normie popular culture derives from YA fiction, and it's worth being familiar with them (even if just knowing the plot) if you wish to interact extensively with normies, in the same way a /mu/tant might a /mu/ patrician that listens to onkyo-kei, harsh noise, spectralism and krautrock exclusively, but will make a limited effort to know who Kendrick Lamar and Katy Perry are so they can carry a conversation and put on music at a party that won't occur a reaction akin to the Helvetica Scenario.

t. autist

The Lathe of Heaven is my least favorite book I've finished of hers; it captivated me at first, it's been awhile but I feel like it became predictable. 3 stars. I've only read the first Earthsea book and liked it more, 4 stars. My favorite book of hers is The Word For World is Forrest. That one blew my fucking mind.

*The Native American Person in the Cupboard

Calm down, Sweetie, I was taking a jab at pop culture, not at you.

Yeah, the other 2 books in the original trilogy are great, intelligently written, well structured, genuinely otherworldly, philosophical without being pretentious. The later novels that she did about 20 years later aren't as good though.