How's your work going

We discuss how our literary works are going, ideas, techniques and everything that seems appropriate.

I just finished my first short story the other day. I'm looking for a zine to submit it.Some place that has a relatively quick response time

Other urls found in this thread:

geomilev.com/pdf/September_by_Geo_Milev.pdf
poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/detail/92663
franciscodegoya.net/the-complete-works.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want to be a better writer. Have some stuff finished of which I am both ashamed and proud. It's all trash though. It feels bad.
>relatively quick response time
Good luck. Do you care if it's an e-zine instead of print? Do you ink you're publishable?

I recently took a hiatus, because I couldn't tell where I want to take my poetry. My favorite lines I've done are rarely the ones that get a response, and I often wind up hating my pieces that get good receptions (even if I liked them at first). I think its just self-sabotage though.

Still, my handle of sonic seems to constantly improve and I honestly feel like I'm getting closer to a professional level of writing. I'm now trying to look at those ultra-specific techniques that contemporary poets tend to use (like 2-4 spaces to create a half-linebreak) and hoping to use them usefully too.

Any other (aspiring) poets here want to talk shop?

I personally see myself writing mediocre to above average genre fiction, so I doubt I can offer you any good advice. A friend of mine once attended a writer's workshop and said it helped him. I actually think that it helps to find like-minded individuals.
>e-zine or print
i would prefer an e-zine.

Writing a well-sourced dictionary of historic slang. After some discussions on /gd/ and in private, I feel like I'm on the right track.

I used to write poems in my high school days. It was more with the idea to use them as lyrics in a band. I was more focused on literary techniques than the mechanics of poetry. I'm thinking of starting again, this time switching them around.

Are you near finishing?

Nice work!

I'm kicking around an idea that I would submit to Jacobite magazine
>inb4 kys

Well if your anything like me, writing regularly will make you infuriated at some points (for me, weeks at a time) and then sometimes you get those productive sprees where your writing flows everywhere and you have a decent amount to start trying to edit. I love it as a whole, but its really an uneven experience for me.

Nope, There are still a few months of work ahead of me. Also I gotta get a few rare books from libraries in order to get it comprehensive.

I used to be pretty constant actually. I had a mentality of using some odd phrases i heard through the day and writing something around them. At my highest point I wrote something every two days.

What's the idea?
Keep it up

Surely will keep the work up!

You like the design? (Which I aptly stole from one of my favourite dictionaries)

That's good, I wasn't even mediocre until I wrote all the time. Now I'm at least that in some cases. Who do you read/what style are you interested in trying?

It's pretty good. Easy to read and understand

As I said, originally they were meant for music lyrics, so my earlier stuff were influenced by bands I listened to - Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd etc. Later on, I got a hold of a book by Geo Milev. He was an expressionist author from my country. It blew my teenage mind. I tried imitating him to some extent. Nowadays I was thinking of doing something like Lovecraft's sonatas. Might be a bit silly, but I got to start from somewhere I guess

It is about how in the 1960's and 70's there was an intellectual movement vaguel Satanist in terms of iconography which functioned like the Thule group in pre-ww2 Germany, that they attempted a coup with Charles Manson as the messiah/sacrifice figure, that Roman Polanski was involved via his film Rosemary's Baby which dramatizes the fact that he sacrificed his wife Sharon Tate (like the man in the film sacrifices the character played by Sharon Tate) That this group began in the Reichian antipsychology Freudian-Marxism of the 60's that those ideas were the impetus behind The Process Church of the Final Liberation, that Manson was an initiate of the process Church (this is documented ) and go on to explore how the Process church influenced the Industrial Music scene and honestly I don't know where it went from there. Conveniently law enforcement around that time created the "satanic ritual abuse" panic; and Reagan perhaps was part of a competing clique in Washington which eventually triumphed. I think the Kennedy assasinations were part of this, that Oswald and Sirhan were programmed by "Process"; oddly Sharon Tate and Polanski had dinner with Robert Kennedy the night before he was assassinated and Anton LaVey founder of the Church of Satan has a producer's credit on the film Rosemary's Baby. William S Burroughs is involved as well via Brian Gysin and Brian Jones.

>Might be a bit silly, but I got to start from somewhere I guess
True. When I first got really into writing, it was all horrible, horrible attempts at sound like T.S. Eliot that wound up not making any sense.
>Geo Milev
looking for a decent translation now

I finished an urban fantasy story the other day. Took me about two weeks. It's basically super hero fiction, mixed with kafkaesque crap and a lose retelling of Alice in wonderland. I submitted it to clarkesworld and the next day I got a response. Sadly, it was rejected. I've submitted it to cicada magazine, a YA zine, which I feel it might fit it better.

geomilev.com/pdf/September_by_Geo_Milev.pdf

this is his most famous work

That's quite the elevator pitch

Thanks.

I've been sitting on an idea as of late. It's basically a splinter of Veeky Forums's /x/ make their own site and practice meme magic. Does it seem like a good pitch?

my favorite parts remind my of this Jeffery Yang poem I've been shilling lately:

The Grass
poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/detail/92663

I'm still adjusting to the rhyme in it though.

I see what you mean

I have an idea for a novella, but I feel like I'm not a good enough writer to properly communicate my vision for the story. Plus I feel like I don't really have an ending for the story in mind. Do I need a beginning, middle and end before I begin writing? I'm fairly new to this.

Can anyone share Goya's complete works? Can't find the prints and the translated descriptions together.

It's not essential to have figured the entire thing out when you start. And when you finish it, you can just go back reedit things you think weren't written well enough
franciscodegoya.net/the-complete-works.html

I've entered the home stretch of the second book in a five book fantasy series. I'm now taking my protagonist through the realm of the dead, where I hope her journey is as memorable as other great sojourns in the underworld.

Probably going to go in a completely different direction for the next novel. Something literary, something sardonic with black humor and even blacker wit.

And meanwhile I have several short stories out for submission.

That's pretty cool. What are the books and stories about?

Anyone here know good places to submit surreal or dreampunk short stories?