Where do I start with Chesterton?

Where do I start with Chesterton?

You don't

you arent missing anything, desu, senpai.

the only one i ever see quoted is "Orthodoxy"

I liked father brown - honestly.

I wonder if anyone has my post where I shit all over Chesterson. At least one other user liked it enough to cap it.

He probably capped it because it's pasta-tier. It's really bad.

p-post in, user

Anywhere, really. His essays might be a good place to start. The Father Brown stories are also enjoyable light reading. The Man Who Was Thursday, Manalive, or The Napoleon of Notting Hill are his most famous longer works.

I think there was a Chesterton chart somewhere.

It's also true - do you know that?

IIRC the saver seemed to express genuinely complimentary opinion about the language, on at least one occasion.

I don't have it kek

True only on a superficial, meme-directed level. Making evident the structure of a writer's style and arbitrarily saying it's bad, doesn't really amount to much outside memes.

But I don't understand why you think it's so good when one random guy said something good about it, but when another random guy says something bad about it you don't fret.

im trying to learn all of Lepanto by heart

one of the best poems of all time desu

Huh, it's almost as if I know I'm right.

"Harumph harumph the trouble with x and y is that there is too much y in x oh dear me I'm so clever~"

>there are people who think this comment is intelligent criticism

It's really sad, just that.

I agree, which is why it's so sad that Chesterton made that very same comment five hundred times over.

And each time it was good, unlike your shit pasta.

Except it wasn't. You just think that it was because you have a deficient sense.

Except it was. You just think that it wasn't because you have a deficient sense.

The Man who was Thursday

or

Orthodoxy

depending on taste

bunch of morons in this thread btw!

Orthodoxy for religion. What's wrong with the world for politics.

So there is actually a chart, nice.

The C

Chesterton was a wrong, fat, unfunny adherent of a false religion. His writings are sentimentalist garbage of the lowest order. The fucker looked like he looked, and wore a cape. As such, he was a fedora among Catholics.

Take his aphorisms. He does the same unwitty, unfunny thing, over and over again:

"It seems to me that the trouble with x and y, is that there is not enough y in x. Oh dear me I'm so fat and clever, darling fetch my muumuu I must run an errand now~"

Absolutely interminable.

I read Father Brown with great enthusiasm because I knew Chesterton was a hero to Borges

in the end I just found Brown to be absolutely insufferable as a character

You left out the part about the muumuu but even with it your witty epigram doesnt deserve to be pasta. OP should start with The Man Who Was Thursday

The problem with G.K. was he was writing for Catholic peasants which upsets the Protestant peasants a great deal.

I don't know the english name of the book, but it translated into Cross and Sphere. It's a fun wild ride about 2 ideological enemies(an atheist intellectual and a rural catholic) that are chased by the police and bant all the way.

All of his stuff is bantz on the highest level.
For fiction I'd go with Napoleon of Nottinghill and non fiction with Heretics. Read about 7-8 of his works, he never fails to entertain.

The Ball and the Cross

My god, are you still going on about that damn post? Nobody liked it except for one other user even more autistic than you.

It's so funny because he's super Catholic, even before he formally converts, yet on the other hand he's overwhelmingly English. It feels like when an Englishman converts over to Catholicism he makes a huge splash. See also Newman.

I've only read The Everlasting Man by him. Every chapter he would ramble to the point where I didn't understand what he was trying to argue. I would eventually get what he was trying to say by the end of the chapter, but even at the end of the book he says he's not sure if he really argued his point clearly. It was so scatterbrained. But it was also really enjoyable to read. It was pretty comfy.

Newman was for a long time the most important intellectual figure of Protestantism, so him making a splash makes a lot of sense. Lewis, Elliott and Belloc didn't have a lot of theatrics as far as I know.

Kike. Chesterton did literally nothing wrong.