I don't get it

I don't get it

It's in Spanish. Get English version band enjoy

Why?

lewl

Pierre Menard can be hard to get, as in you have to have read other books to understand it. But The Lottery in Babylon or The Garden of Forking Paths shouldnt be hard to understand.

The thing about Borges stories is that they don't make sense until the very end. So until the very last moment they're really boring, then suddenly your head explodes. That was my experience with Forking Paths at least.

I read The aleph last week and i'm half way with Ficciones and it's fucking brilliant. The premise of each story is so philosophical and mind bending, and the prose is fucking gorgeous, so simple and so precise.

For anyone who wants to start with Borges I would recommend The circular ruins, if you like that you will certainly like everything else he's done. Also the aleph is pretty damn great.

Also, does anyone know of an author similar to him? Would love to know.

I'm having a very hard time with all of this. I've read Forking Paths; Lottery in Babylon; and Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius; and each of them seemed to me like someone came up with, as has been mentioned, a good philosophical premise, but then decided that that was the story. Isn't it necessary that there be something more? A story surely isn't its premise.

The prose is okay.

Cortazar is often compared. I suggest Blow-Up and Other short stories. Not quite as philosophical. Much more human. In some ways, I prefer Cortazar. But Cortazar is a little less consistent with his other stories. I tracked them down and was somewhat disappointed. Hopscotch tho is brilliant.

Try also Italo Calvino. Not to my taste but a comparison could be made. And Eco echoes Borges I find. Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum are brilliant.

I just finished The Circular Ruins.

>dat ending

This is the same reason I'm not a big fan of Borges. Mindbending doesn't appeal to me. I want emotion, characters, and plot, which Borges just doesn't really have. It's worth reading his best stories though

Maybe try The Circular Ruins. Its a pretty straightforward short story but still touches on most of Borges major themes

>Isn't it necessary that there be something more? A story surely isn't its premise.
>. I want emotion, characters, and plot

Borges confirmed for the ultimate pleb filter

berkeley and quine

berkeley and quine everywhere

>expecting to understand tlon without having a knowledge of berkeleys philosophy first
haha

Read it again in a few years, user. Trust me you'll come to love it once you've had your fill of your type of literature. It'll seem very refreshing then and will probably save your life.

>Also, does anyone know of an author similar to him? Would love to know.

Eco's stories feel like large-scale versions of Borges' concepts, especially Name of the Rose and Foucalt's Pendulum as someone else recommended

they are also very similar in style; they reference a lot of old, possibly made-up texts and people, and are usually very cryptic/dubious

what would be the favorite anime of Borges anyways?

Kafka is your best option. Is better. Stories like "The Great Wall of China" or "Josephine the Singer, or The Mouse Folk".

>Leaving no room in his workshop for anything but the old verities and truths of the heart, the old universal truths lacking which any story is ephemeral and doomed

>Pleb filter

I think it might be, but not the way user meant.

I actually quite liked Tlon anyways, so thanks for the tip. I'm looking forward to learning about this.

>once you've had your fill of your type of literature
What if I never realise when I have had my fill?
What if I can never have my "fill" and continue consuming

I had just read Tloq and a friend of mine said if I could listen to him tell something he had done for uni, and it seemed I was in the book because he talked about gnostics and mirrors and everything I had just read, it was strange and funny
Sorry for my english

Can i understand Fucoault Pendulun without having read Fucoault?

Yes they're two different Foucaults

the book covers so many themes you'll be confused by something or other anyway

Toshokan Sensou "Library Wars".