Prose Poems

Looking for novels that could qualify as prose poems.
Pic-related is THE prose poem.

Moby Dick

The premise of this thread fills me with contempt but Gogol called Dead Souls a poem.

>The premise of this thread fills me with contempt
Why?

What do you mean by 'qualify as prose poems'? One of the major components of prose poetry is its relatively small size... They're not novel-length works!

Une saison en enfer pêh

>What do you mean by 'qualify as prose poems'?
It means they provide esthetic pleasure similar to the one poems do.
>One of the major components of prose poetry is its relatively small size
It's a metaphor.
>...
>!
Nevermind.

Works with prose that has obvious roots in rhythm, sonic devices, lyrical intensity, and (frequently) narrative fragmentation. If you can point to a sentence in the work and say "this sentence is merely informational, and without lyricism" it probably isn't what I'm looking for.

I've been reading a lot of epic/long form poetry and am looking at stuff to compare it to.
Thanks guys

Another one (that's a bit obvious) is Finnegans Wake.

Invisible Cities

Nightwood by Djuna Barnes.

Anything written by García Márquez, basically.

MY

I couldn't get into Winter Night a Traveler, should I still get this?
Def gonna get this, anything T.S. masturbates too has to be good.
Favorite?
Your what?

Invisible Cities is one of my all-time favorites and I didn't like Winter's Night at all.

Yeah, Invisible Cities is - in some ways - a less tryhard/convoluted 'If on a winter's night'. I love both of them, but it took less work to love Invisible Cities.

Cool! Ill probs get it! I just had a hard time dealing with how overwhelmingly 'meta' If On a Winter's Night a Traveler was.

Invisible Cities is still somewhat meta, but it's far, far less in-your-face about it.

100Years, probably cuz i love big long books. Also it's the most "prose poetic".

I'm not sure "less tryhard/convoluted" is right, it's a totally different thing.

>Your what?
DIARY

Pale Fire?

I've been told to read this so many times. I guess I should go ahead (I just didn't like the prose of what little I read in Lolita (the first few pages)).

obvious answer

The Prophet

Try this.

garbage book

its pleb tier with zero subtext, but the prose is good

good prose = prose poem

You guys are fucking retarded

I'm not looking for 'good prose'. I'm looking for novels that can fit a prose-poems definition.

>One of the major components of prose poetry is its relatively small size
lol

Blood Meridian

No, pale fire is just a poem.
Lolita would've been a more correct answer.

The worst is that that's almost the definition.

I'm saying that people here think that good prose makes a novel a prose poem, for example these idiots

That's fair. I was a little suspicious when it seemed exclusively Veeky Forums memes were being posted. Admittedly, I haven't read much prose lately at all though.

>garcia and fucking pale fire as examples
Are you fucking retarded?

Look Homeward, Angel

Are you saying Pale Fire and GGM's novels are examples of prose poems, you blithering idiot?

Actual examples of prose poems are Lautremont's Maldoror, Rimbaud's A Season in Hell, and Poe's and Baudelaire's prose poems. I wouldn't call The Waves a prose poem, even if it's highly poetic. Still, it could be argued by both sides. But One Hundred Years of Solitude being a prose poem? Not by any stretch. At least not if you know what you are talking about.

No i'm saying Pale Fire is a fucking poem.
And that GGM's novels are pretty real contenders for the prose poem stamp, especially solitude.

Lezama Lima himself called paradiso a "novelized" poem
kys

They really are not. Yes, the language is poetic, but his novels are very well-defined narratives. As I said, having poetic prose does not make a novel a prose poem.

So what? Fite me irl fag

Pater's Marius the Epicurean, Imaginary Portraits.
Baudelaire's Paris Spleen.
Gautier's Mlle de Maupin.
Lautreamont's Maldoror.
Paul Valery in general.

Well, I've definitely read shorter prose poems (mainly Ashbery), but I've had a growing increase my understanding "The Epic" and I'm at a place of reading exclusively epics, with shorter poems as breathers.

most of the titles on this list are, in fact, prose poems, as opposed to poem-like novels...

Antwerp

Only the Baudelaire, actually. And arguably The Imaginary Portraits.

Nathalie Sarraute - Tropismes
Francis Ponge - Savon

Oh hey, I just read this a few weeks ago.

I quite liked Doctor Sax by Kerouac and think iit qualifies. I know that Kerouac is a divisive pick on this board, but this particular book fits the criteria well.

Also what's with all these street sign captchas?

Finnegans Wake