Damn, Is New York really this expensive?

Damn, Is New York really this expensive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MJmCUSb-ZVo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A burger is $5-15.
>$30 on burgers
>$45 on decent wine for two (hurr why is eating out so expensive, it's so much cheaper to eat at home with my tap water)
>tax and tip

not really
Rent however is a big shitshow

>tip
americucks

no lol that's retarded
sure, the prices tend higher and there's a lot more sit-down restaurants that are upscale or pretend to be, but you can get cheap food in NY just like you can anywhere else.

>with tip

Fuck off I'm not falling for the tip guilt trick. Fuckers get paid minimum wage regardless if they get tips or not.

No they don't.
Employers have an unwritten understanding with their tipped wage employees that if they need to ask their employer to compensate for their lack of tips they will get their hours cut to nothing.

Increasing cost of labor throughout the supply chain has been determined to be there cause of these insane increases in cost of eating out compared to coming at home.

Yet there are people who still believe in increasing minimum wages more...

>expensive

Sure, if your combined household income is less than 200k a year. Get the fuck out my city, poor fags.

t. trustfund liberal arts kid

feels good being a leaf
I don't tip anybody but the delivery boy

I have no idea what they're talking about. food+wine+tip for $100 is michelin starred rates. yeah there are a lot of places in NY where you could ring up that much but far more where you wouldn't.

For 2 you're looking at around $60 for food+wine+tip if you want to be thrifty.

Miami here.

>beer $7
>cocktail $17
>small plate $19
>large plate $27
>20% automatic tip ;^)

You blow through $100 within the first hour of a night out.

Actually they make mad bank. A decent waitress can pull $200+ a night in a 6 hour shift, and in NYC it's probably more like 400. Meanwhile someone with a degree can work a job making $160 a day for 8 hours of work. They're only "poor" because they all work part time so they can smoke weed 4x a week and get shitfaced on monday and thursday.

To be fair, I'm american and never tip anyone, mainly because I worked those jobs and know they pull loads while being whiny, entitled faggots who can't even reliably show up for their 3 shifts a week and complain about needing to do their fucking job and not just sit around gossiping and stealing food from the kitchen.

>not just showing up to the movie 20 minutes after the advertized start time

why is this so hard for people to do? You're 20 minutes late for everything else in your life.

>Get 2 burgers with gold dust and saffron from Hell's Kitchen.
>Order 89' bottle of wine, imported from Italy, because that pairs well with burgers.
>$100 for burgers and wine. Didn't even get fries.
>Decide to go to movies after
>I really like Star Wars, but why would I pay to watch ads?

This is worse than the actress who showed a weeks worth of groceries on food stamps.

They call it Jew York for a reason. It's also the capital of the world for overrated and/or overexpensive restaurants.
There's still places you can get a relatively cheap meal though.
.t jew yorker
Don't get your panties in a bunch user, I'm sure OP is nowhere near Williamsburg

Because then you are stuck with shitty seats. I like to get there early so I can sit in the middle like a civilized human being.

>paying more than is needed
>ever
I get mad about a $20 (sans tax) meal for one. Being rich doesn't mean you should hemorrhage money every time you leave the house. That's retarded.

>buying two alcoholic drinks
>buying cocktails at all
>buying two plates of food
You're just a retard.

Can you spend $100 on a burger and some wine? Absolutely but that's a choice you can get probably a better burger and and a drink for $20 somewhere else

>A decent waitress can pull [$400] a night in a 6 hour shift in NYC
lel what
You're saying that they make over $100k a year.
For reference, I make $100k a year in upstate-ish New York, in pretax dollars, that comes out to $384 a day for a 5-day work week.

Think the guy also mentioned that many of the food service waiters/waitresses only work part time so they may not be working 5-7 days a week consistently.

I'm telling you, untaxed tips are a great untapped source of revenue for state and federal government.

>b-b-but the employers could like totally not do it!
And then an anonymous tip from the labor department investigates and fines the shit out of them.
Your retarded Evil Boss fantasy isnt real.

>mfw burger, fries and a growler fill at the bistro for $14

who the fuck gets wine with a burger?

The small plate is for the date you fucking basement dweller.

I worked in a shitty steak house in the south west. Meat beans potatos, you get the idea. Roughly $22 a plate. Average server did 30 dinners a night, plus drinks and desert if you weren't clearing $250 for a 4 hour dinner shift you were really bad at your job. You gotta remember they are all part time but the $/hour in the service industry can be insane

no, just gentrified new york

Yes, but why would you live there?

found the roleplaying poorfag

>mfw i see what harlem(broadway) is becoming
>mfw its slowly spreading towards the heights
Send help

Yes, NYC is that expensive, but that burger is probably one of the best you can get, and wine isn't more expensive there. Worth it. I love NYC. The only thing that sucks is the gun laws.

>paying for another person's food
Lmoa @ this cuck

Manhattan has become pretty fucking expensive. A modest Vietnamese meal with a couple beers tonight clocked in just over $60 for two tonight, and this was at a kind of divey place. At a nice place with wine is easily twice that. But in some parts of Brooklyn and Queens there are places where you can get great meals at immigrant places for what the rest of the country spends going out to the Olive Garden. So I'd say it really depends on what neighborhood you're going out in.

It's entirely possible to make 100k as a waitress in NYC. Not everyone is doing it, only the high end but its still possible.

They only have $400 nights on weekends, not 5 days a week.

Why the fuck are you in Manhatten if you're poor?

Oh god. I can still picture the 7 limes.

Fuck no. Maybe if you go to like Tavern on the Green or Bull and Bear, you'll pay that much for burgers and wine but...most real New Yorkers don't do that since we have the little hidden gems in our neighborhoods where we can get quesadillas or soup dumplings or chicken tikka for super cheap.

Rents in Manhattan ARE dumb expensive but I suspect that's a bubble that'll burst in a few years.

>pony up on decent wine for fucking burgers
If a burger is expensive enough to warrant a quality wine pairing then you're spending too much on that burger in my correct opinion.
You could make quality burgers at home as a couple and enjoy good wine for like a third of the cost and make a night of it, glad that couple is finally figuring it out.

>wine
There's your problem
Also, what this guy said

I spent 5000 in 4 days in NYC.

Fucking breathing in NYC is expensive

How could she hold them all?

>I spent 5000 in 4 days in NYC.
fun

youtube.com/watch?v=MJmCUSb-ZVo

Maybe in Econ 101

yeah, it's pretty nuts. it's starting to look like Williamsburg circa 2011-2013 down there.

Harlem or higher, i have a friend who got a studio apartment in a renovated school in harlem for 2k a month. By no means is that cheap but its a hell of a lot cheaper then ive heard from people living closer to downtown. Although now that its starting to get gentrified and im seeing artisan coffee houses and shit i dont think itll stay that way.

>Yet there are people who still believe in increasing minimum wages more...
in most countries everyone but the literal card-carrying communists are fine with where min wages are. the problem is that in america, you literally can't live off of minimum wage, defeating the point of having a minimum wage at all.

i live in montreal and min wage is like 11 bucks or some shit now. but i can still get a dinner plate sized pancake for three dollars at the place i used to work. a pint of beer at a normal bar is still about five or six bucks, and litre steins have become popular and usually go for around 10. many bars have a five dollar menu where you can get a pretty standard burger with some fries.

not every waitress works at the ritz carlton but in those high end places, yeah, they get handed wads of 50s left and right

normal waiters and waitresses in mom and pop places do not make tips like that

americans are just retarded and point at the rich and say "see if they can do it why can't you???"

>ads in the movie theater which you already paid for
why is America so cucked?

Fucking Columbia REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>tipping

Naw, I work as a line cook at a JW, I dont tip.

>some douchebag VIP who thinks they own the hotel comes in and sits at the bar
>orders literally everything off the menu
>oh but i want to eat it in my room please bring it to me
>chef makes us plate this shit all pretty
>for some reason the godamn bartender runs up instead of one of the cooks
>bartender comes down with a 2 grand tip and waves it infront of everyone

also the "servers" at our restuarant dont even SERVE you the food.
they just take your order and check on you, while a runner is the one who actually brings you drinks and food.

unwillingness to admit fault

ask an american why aspects of their country suck, and all they offer is deflection and insults. because a few dozen of their 300 million niggers made it, they assume the whole country can, when that simply is not the case.

just like this example itt at of waiters making bank in new york -- because ones in high priced restaurants that have made a whole career of bussing tables make a lot in tips, they assume that the old woman waiting tables at the local mom n pop arab-owned "italian" restaurant is also pulling 100k a night from arabian princes and british dignitaries and shit. and then they don't tip out of jealousy, hiding behind phrases like "lift yourself up by your bootstraps" and "they're all just spending it on cocaine anyway" to justify themselves

>Employers have an unwritten understanding with their tipped wage employees that if they need to ask their employer to compensate for their lack of tips they will get their hours cut to nothing.
Real countries with actual labor laws make it straight up criminal to do that, and you don't need an expensive lawyer to sue for your wages because it's a straight up labor violation.

Actual evil resto bosses just pay min wage and take the tips for themselves. There's all sorts of laws about fairly compensating tipped-out workers, but none that say you are actually entitled to 100% of your tips

Thats why its unwritten. Did you read what he wrote? They don't not pay them. They just cut their hours until the person feels forced to quit. Then they hire someone prettier who can pull tips.

See
There is literally no labor law that says a restaurant can't cut someone's hours. Its completely within their right and normal to cut people's hours depending on the need and how much they hire.

There is so much amazing and cheap food in NYC. The only people who pay $20+ regularly for weeknight meals are yuppies/bug men who are total fucking marks and will be chewed up and spit out by the city in a year's time.

>There is so much amazing and cheap food in NYC.
True. I know many places where you can eat very well for $6-$8. But you're not getting drinks, table service or even seating sometimes for that price. Just great cheap food.
>The only people who pay $20+ regularly for weeknight meals are yuppies/bug men
This is totally untrue. There are plenty of folks who work long hours at high paying jobs. Say you're a professional who owns your co-op/condo and earns six figures, married to someone in a similar situation. When the two of you get home and start thinking about dinner around 7 or 8PM the idea of trying that new place in the neighborhood or hitting an old favorite might make perfect sense, even if it means you'll be dropping just over a c-note by the time the evening is over. Which hardly seems outrageous to you because you can afford it. I have a bunch of friends in that position, though I'm not. But the thing to remember is that in NYC the concentration of wealth is insane. There are a lot of folks here for whom dropping $100+ on night out is nothing. As such there are a lot of places to accommodate them, particularly in Manhattan, where the commercial rents are so high that it's hard for a restaurant that doesn't target that crowd to stay in business.

>The only people who pay $20+ regularly for weeknight meals are YUPPIES / BUG MEN

>"This is totally untrue, let me proceed to lay out the textbook definition of a yuppie / bug man."

>>The only people who pay $20+ regularly for weeknight meals are yuppies/bug men
>This is totally untrue. There are plenty of folks who work long hours at high paying jobs. Say you're a professional who owns your co-op/condo and earns six figures, married to someone in a similar situation.
You stupid or something boy?

Why on earth do we even need to be served? Can't the cooks just put the order up on the window and call out names so people can get it?

Is it just to drive the price of eating out up or something?

What you're missing here is what you call yuppies and bug men are just people with good jobs who can afford to live in Manhattan these days. The middle class has been steadily pushed out over the last two decades. Even in middle class enclaves like the LES co-ops one bedroom places are now going for $700k. If you're middle class and don't have a rent controlled apartment or live in a building your family owns your chance of being able to afford a place in Manhattan are very slim. Most of the folks living in Manhattan make a fuckton of money, because it costs a fuckton to live there these days. The rest of us live in the less fashionable parts of Brooklyn or Queens, where the best cheap eats are anyways.

Depends on what you're doing. If you are alone and you just want to grab food and go, sure, you don't need servers.

But if you're eating at a place for a business meeting or on a date, you want to be able to focus your attention on your colleagues, SO, family, etc. Having servers lets you concentrate on your conversation while they take care of everything else.

They also perform various other useful functions: they give advice about the menu. You can ask questions about the dishes before you order. They translate what the customers ask for into the terms understood by the kitchen staff (who probably donesn't speak English).

You sound like some kind of a shut-in who is afraid of social interaction.

i took one breath of new york air and spent over 40 grand

The days when being a high earning professional set you apart from everyone else in Manhattan - when that made you a yuppie or bug man - are gone. Now that's just NORMAL for Manhattan because that's who lives there. There's no longer any negative stigma about it here. Not that there ever was much to begin with - this city has always been the capital of US capitalism.

LOL maybe this is reality for you and your bug men friends. You have so obviously never stepped foot above the park. So sick of you transplant fuck boys thinking you own the place now because your friend opened up a taco stand in a midtown food hall with a punny name. You all are fuckin marks and we rip you off every day. Hatred for yuppies is alive and well, you just aren't getting ganked for your iPhone as often because you probably take uber everywhere like a little bitch ass bug man. You live to serve corporations, and when the whole fuckin American experiment collapses we will eat the rich.

Like Cannibal Ox says:
"New York is evil at its core, so those who have more than them, prepare to be victims"

You probably haven't heard that before because you probably bump Frank Ocean in your Beats earbuds bitch ass nigga.

i just eat in china town. I can get three rice crepes for $2

Miamifag here. And the service is STILL half-assed.

You have literally no clue how weird it can actually get out here.
>Apartment explodes with fecal matter because landlord can't into plumbing
>Do an awful sanitation job
>Call Health Department on them
>They literally tell me nothing is wrong with the apartment
>THEN pulls me aside with gf to come outside to tell me he literally cannot do anything and that we should lawyer up because "it looks bad"
Sometimes people are well connected there's a chance that employee could say something and nothing happens to the employer then again who the fuck fucks up repeatedly and stays a fucking tipcuck?

New Yorkers are so silly.

this is what they do at fast food places

part of the sit-down dining experience is that you stay seated and comfy the whole time instead of having to walk around getting your shit from around the resto

>see: your own post
?
??
?????

>bug men
ive never heard this phrase and am too lazy to look it up. what does it mean. thanks in advanc

It's not out of the ordinary. My dad works at a ritzy rich guy's club and he clears 90k a year in tips, on top of the salary and on top of the other job he has. That 100k a year don't mean shit if you're awful with money as he is though.
On top of it, his co-workers are all on drugs or alcohol since they have the money to do so. Don't do it if you can help it, it's not worth it breh

How often does he work and how do you get that job?

my friend and I usually end up spending ~$30 including tip at a pretty average restaurant, take out for both of us tends to total about $15-20.

The person who wrote the words in the picture is either eating at really expensive restaurants or buying really expensive wine.

where in "up-stateish"

Imagine being American

i'd really rather not

Imagine being AMERICAN *scoffs* they are savages!

I'm fucking Brooklyn, and I've hung with RZA. Just because I have some rich ass Manhattan friends doesn't mean I'm a part of that shit. But I know that world.
>ive never heard this phrase and am too lazy to look it up
Me neither. Just getting it by context. Sounds kinda alt-right like nu-male to me.

>I've never heard of this thing. IT MUST BE A POLITICALLY CHARGED BOOGEYMAN

the absolute STATE of americans

That's how things are here now. Politically charged af.

He probably means downstate. Gotta remember what upstate means to them

have you considered having a revolution or something to put someone in power who will stabilize things by force? I thought that's why you had the second amendment in the first place

>ordering fucking wine at a restaurant

I have never done this nor plan to, you can buy a whole bottle at a liquor store for the cost of 2 glasses + tip.

You're gunna have to convince all the people who actually keep the country afloat to go into the ratshit infested cities in california and new england to make that happen, the people who live in those areas decided it was a good idea to ban everything.

If we can't even elect our leaders at a state level without massive corruption, we sure as fuck can't expect to overthrow the entire legislative branch and install more reputable people whom all parties are OK with.

I absolutely despise new yorkers and the two faggots trying to one up each other in this thread solidifies my hatred for them

I hope you both get ran over by terrorist truck attack. Or stabbed by some guy from the bowels of South America, just as good.

Holy shit you sound more and more yuppie by the post, i thought that other user was over reacting and trying to seem big but you're coming across as the exact type of person he thought you were.

Don't care all that much. Making money and living well.

ive done it when they dont have draft beer and the wine works out to being cheaper by ABV

the more contact i have with americans, the more i hate america. do americans actually think what goes on in their country is ok? you constantly complain and then when confronted with it all you do is deflect. do you want to lead functional lives or not?

What was your itinerary? I'm looking to go to new York and trying to get a feel for what I might do.

Look around buddy, the entire world isnt doing great.

I'm fine with how things work here. I make money, live comfortably and own property that my family can inherit. So many people whine and complain because they know there is nothing they can do about their problems because they are so low on the socio-economic totem pole. Want to know who the real peasants are in this country? Cut off welfare and free healthcare and see who riots.

>in the rest of the world, minimum wage can pay rent and a night out isn't more expensive than an Acura NSX

>"A-AMERICA IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH AND CAN NEVER CHANGE FOR THE BETTER BECAUSE ITS ALWAYS THE BEST BECAUSE DONALD TRUMP HAS MONEY SO WE ALL WILL HAVE MONEY SOON [several pages of crying eagle gifs]"

I honestly don't see the problem with free healthcare. Welfare, sure since there are people who live better than I ever will without working a single day. But I think every tax payer should have at least some medical credit to use in case of emergencies, you know?

>Welfare, sure since there are people who live better than I ever will without working a single day. But
So go on welfare.

GDP growth is higher than any time during the Obama administration, and every employer I talk to says the same thing, they just can't find enough qualified applicants.

And no, not learned tradesmen. Just people who will show up on time every day, are willing to learn, and not be high/drunk.

Umm does your country have pic related, sweaty? I didn't think so. Stop commenting. :)