So am I just an idiot or is this guy's stuff exceptionally harder to grasp compared to most other poets?

So am I just an idiot or is this guy's stuff exceptionally harder to grasp compared to most other poets?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/books/page-turner/what-mitt-romney-might-learn-from-wallace-stevens
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You are correct. I exclusively read him for a few months and I've honestly concluded that I can read anyone now...except Pound.
Wallace Stevens wrote poetry for himself and that's evident.

lol try ashberry pleb

yes

>ashberry
where should I start?

Let's get some discussion going. What poem are you reading?

I've started rereading "The Man with the Blue Guitar" after seeing this photo

Not him, but The Skaters
Pound's just not that interesting outside of technique.
He's p weird, but plenty of poets are obscure (especially Modern/right after modern poets)

Daily reminder that Wallace Stevens was a republican
newyorker.com/books/page-turner/what-mitt-romney-might-learn-from-wallace-stevens

Probably, but I find it very enjoyable even when I don't know what the hell he's on about.

If you want an easy but also good poet, I'd recommend Larkin.

unsurprising tbph

Ovid was a left-wing, and he surpassed Homer. Also:
>Plath is bad because she's confessional
That's a bullshit reason to deny her craftsmanship.

*tops fedooba* A man of excellent taste!

what purpose does this serve

to give a giggle to those who can take a joke

The joke is that you laugh and think "it's funny because it's true!" then continue producing nothing until your shallow interest in literature passes in favour of some other host for your politics.

>joke
>Veeky Forums

He's not really worth the effort. You read him and get what, Nietzsche?

Okay, that's not true, but continue your point.

I'm not a right-winger, you centrist cunt.

What?

Not very far from the truth desudesu

it is very far from the truth because left/right dichotomy is retarded as fuck

With Ashbery start with the SELECTED later poems: Notes from the Air. Easier than Stevens. While youre at it pick up Sphere and Garbage, both by A.R. Ammons. The latter won the '93 National Book Award.

Ashbery is just nonsense.

OP I'd say early works/Harmonium can be read and impulsively enjoyed (if not fully grasped), but his late work in the '40s and '50s is slow-going.

He also praised Mussolini for sorting out the 'coons' in Ethiopia

>applying the right/left classification to ancient history
brainlet

If you read Metamorphoses closely (not even closely really) you'd recognize how much of a bleeding heart Ovid was. Combine that with Heroides, and you don't think its clear where his politics would lie? To recap, He's a feminist vegetarian (or at least advocated for vegetarianism) who was exiled by his Caesar.

I need some citations on that.

Very close minded. You can have both and be utterly superior to people that think like this.