Can I do anything with leftover salt crust...

Can I do anything with leftover salt crust? Seems like a waste to just discard it when it's basically salt with some driedcooking juices.

Bump, I wan't to know

put t in a salt shaker

This, you'll have some nice seasoned salt

This.
I suppose you could grind it up and use it as flavoured salt.

It could go rancid if there is any fat at all present in the salt.

Not really. There shouldn't be much of a health hazard if properly handled, compare the salt bricks used as pans, but a proper salt crust incorporates egg whites in volumes that would make it taste and feel off if reground and would throw off recipes if used in a brine.

No it couldn't. All the moisture is extracted. SALT IS A PRESERVATIVE. How the fuck do you think cured meats work?

Fat can go rancid through oxidization. Even cured meat doesn't keep forever.

>All the moisture is extracted. SALT IS A PRESERVATIVE
That doesn't matter. Rancidity can occur by two methods: one is bacterial action. Obviously that wouldn't happen in this case, as you pointed out. The other is by simple exposure to oxygen. It doesn't matter if the moisture is extracted and all the bacteria are dead. Oxygen from the air + fat = rancidity.

You retards realize salt absorbs oxygen too right? Seriously how do you think jamon or salami works?

>You retards realize salt absorbs oxygen too right?
It does a piss poor job at it. That's why there are special oxygen absorbing packets used to protect foods, even salty ones, from rancidity and other problems caused by oxygen. It would be nice if the salt in the food worked, or if we could use little packets of salt instead. But alas, it doesn't.

>>Seriously how do you think jamon or salami works?
The outside layer does indeed get rancid, and it only keeps for so long.

>Only keeps for so long
You mean a year+? Something that is 99% salt is not going to go rancid.

>You mean a year+?
Yes. Sometimes multiple years even. But the point is that rancidity does indeed happen, and the salt content has nothing to do with it.

Yeah you just admitted that a thick slab of meat covered in salt takes multiple years that go bad. How the fuck do you think that something that is salt with just a splash of meat juice is going to go rancid in any meaningful amount of time? Guess op better really watch out 10 years from now for that rancid salt

>thick slab of meat
Vs
>thin, fatty salt
You really might want to rethink your reasoning.

>This level of denial

Where's the harm in OP trying? If it goes rancid, it goes rancid. Then OP will report back with a verdict if he's not a fag and we'll all know.

Damn this getting digited on all over the place

There's no harm in trying at all.

Nobody said it couldn't be done, only that rancidity was a potential concern.

not
>You really might want to rethink your seasoning