"Shrinkflation"

Thoughts on this (((sorcery)))?
That's the word they are giving to the continued reduction of product sizes to maximize (((their))) profits.
I don't buy a lot of this type of shit, but when i do notice a brand is jewing me out of my money I will stop buying their products.
Take stupid Girl Scout Cookies for instance, now i f'in loves me some Samoa's but the last time i bought a box there were three rows of 4 cookies when there used to be like 20 of them bitches in there. So guess who stopped buying GSCs?
I liked to stop into Dollar Tree if I was by one and get me a 16oz Pepsi for $1, and now it's a 12oz for $1, and i no longer buy them, ill buy a fuckin Arizona for 99 cents.
Went to buy some ice cream, 55oz instead of 1/2 gallon, nope. 11.5oz beer instead of 12oz? nope.

What are your stories on this garbage and how do you deal with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

qz.com/427393/can-arizonas-dollar-cans-of-iced-tea-fend-off-a-bevy-of-snooty-competitors/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

people are fat enough as it is

the smaller the portion sizes they sell the better

the original king size chad vs the new 2 piece virgin

nice meme fag
happens with everything from paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning products all the way into the realm of internet services, streaming services and electronics but some millennial twat like yourself wouldnt see the side of a barn if you ran face first into it.

>What are your stories on this garbage..
What the fuck do you expect to happen? There's been a massive amount of inflation, and the cost of many food products has gone up. That means a producer of packaged food has three choices:
1) raise prices
2) reduce package size
3) both
why are you surprised about any of them occurring? Do you honestly expect prices and sizes to both stat the same when costs increase? That's just idotic.

>>how do you deal with it?
I buy as much as I need regardless of package size. sometimes that means I buy one package, sometimes that means I buy multiple.

I deal with it because this is totally normal, things cost more as time goes on. It's why McDonalds charges more than a quarter for their stuff now. This has to be some kinda not very funny joke post I guess.

>b b but you get t tt two instead of one

>tfw no full-flavor orange drink

but you get the same size product, its not like they are serving you a quarter sized burger for 15 cents.

So you'd be perfectly ok with it if they gave you a larger size and just.... charged you the appropriate price? Then why the fuck are the smaller ones an issue since they're charging you the same relative price?

>>can't handle king size

because they arent trying to fucking jew you out like my example in the OP.

take the sniggers bar, the one on top looks smaller than the new one but actually weighs less. its not like they kept it the same size and charged more.
see the difference between being honest and charging more and being a fucking jew nigger and pulling some product jew sorcery?

I think they just want something to complain about

No, because the same sized snickers bar costs more to produce over time. That's exactly what inflation is. They can either charge you more or give you slightly less. How is this hard to understand?

Oh ok I get it.

if I'm buying a king size I make sure a large bar and not 2 fun sized pieces
I want a big one!
if I wanted little ones I would buy them

what is Arizona Iced Tea? 99 cents for 25+ years.
fuck off you jew.

>what is Arizona Iced Tea?
A can of disgusting corn syrup "tea"?

You are certainly not obliged to drink it, Aiden.

Because it's one of the only things keeping the company afloat at this point. And they've changed the recipe a few times and it's full of corn syrup.

qz.com/427393/can-arizonas-dollar-cans-of-iced-tea-fend-off-a-bevy-of-snooty-competitors/

yeah because people respect the 99 cent and hate the fucking jews running the other coimpanies who want to charge $3 for HFCSwater.

>99 cents for 25+ years.
Yes but it's gotten shittier in just the last 10.

Buddy you have to be 14 to post here

Are there any examples of this happening that don't apply to just candy or fast food?

You really are trying way too hard here man. If you try harder than the people you're trolling then you pretty much lose.

I'm going to get into a board of directors meeting and greet them with a 12 gage.

They also raise the prices accordingly though retard. Candy Bars used to be 75 cents like 10 years ago, now they're like 1.25 or even more some places.

I rarely buy packaged food so I don't get that many chances to look for it, but I have seen packages of box mixes get smaller. I've also seen it for potato and tortilla chips.

I haven't checked it personally, but I bet if you look you will have seen it happen to frozen pizzas and "TV dinners" as well, though perhaps in a more subtle form like changing up the recipe or portions so that there is less of the more expensive ingredients and more of the cheaper "filler". I have a roommate who lives off of frozen meals and he swears that the size of the meat portion has been reduced.

can you stop pretending jews are not grossly over represented in positions of power
medicine, law, media, finance
whether or not you think they are conspiring against non-jews, they objectively do run things.

>over represented
Qualified people getting hired. Do you believe in forced diversity?

>Qualified people getting hired.
solid b8, thanks for the laugh

He would prefer that companies are honest in their tactics rather than trying to trick the consumer into thinking value has increased while, in reality, they have been adjusting for inflation by reducing sizes.

Imagine if a cereal company made a box taller and wider, but thinner. It appears to be a better value due to the price, but it's actually slightly less volume than before. It's difficult to notice because you don't see thickness on the shelf. This is opposed to simply scaling the boxes down and maintaining the value. It's a legitimate business strategy, but it's inherrantly dishonest because they're trying to trick you into believing inflation doesn't exist.

Where is there trickery involved? I've never seen food like this offered for sale in which the price and the weight (or volume) of food wasn't clearly marked.

>>Imagine if a cereal company made a box taller and wider, but thinner.
Why would that matter? You're an idiot if you judge what you're buying based on looks. You read the package and see what the weight or volume of the product is.

Fuck, even here in the land of the much-reviled Amerikkan Edukashun Sistem, that shit is covered in goddamn grade school.

It's subconscious. The box looks bigger from the front. Not everyone is an autist and calculates $/g prices.
For toblerone bars the new ones look exactly the same from the outside but there is a greater space between triangles. You don't look at the weight every time you buy.

>You don't look at the weight every time you buy.
I would argue that anyone who doesn't is a fucking moron. How else are you supposed to compare prices between brands or know how much food you are getting? If you're shopping for a recipe then you need to read weights/volumes so you know that you're buying the right amount.

Even without the concept of "shrinkflation" the visual size of a dry goods package has nothing to do with how much food is contained within, hence why so many packages are labeled "packed by weight not volume -- settling may occur" or something along those lines.

And heck, these days most supermarkets (in my experience, anyway) have the "price per unit weight" right there on the price tag.

>Not everyone is an autist and calculates $/g prices.
I dunno if this is just an NYC thing but pretty much everything is labeled like this

Well if I buy a box of the same cereal every week for several years I'm going to stop looking at the weight, especially if the price doesn't change.

Hey I'm going shopping, where's my briefcase with all my weights and measurements on them?? Anyone that shops without those is a MORON.

I posted that pic, I got it from Google so I'm not sure where it's from, but I can confirm that has been standard practice in Texas for well over a decade (if not before, I just didn't notice). I've also seen it everywhere I've traveled for work in the past couple of years, which includes Ohio, South Carolina, California, and Michigan. If I had to guess I would say it's commonplace over the whole country.

quads of truth

really this is it, yes it a legit business tactic, but is it truly ethical to do so? is it respecting your customers and taking their loyalty for granted over a dollar vs being upfront and open about said doillar?

The weights are printed on the package, user. It's the law. Don't get mad at me if you're too stupid to look at them.

>I just didn't notice
That's the point. The trickery is that they only tell you in the fine print but all the obvious signs indicate no change in value.

I once went to a luncheon place in koreatown and they charged me 2.50 for an arizona

When I said "I didn't notice" it was before I was old enough to live on my own and I never spent much time in supermarkets, my parents did all the shopping. The moment I moved out to go to University I started checking this when I was doing my food shopping. It's pretty hard to stick to a budget if you don't pay attention to those things.

>>but all the obvious signs indicate no change in value.
I'm not sure what's more obvious than the weight printed on the box or bag. We've already discussed that the size/shape of packaging is misleading and everyone knows that.

Look, you fucking dimwit, if they weren't trying to decieve consumers they wouldn't try to hide the downsizing by changing the packaging dimensions in weird ways. Yes, the stores lable the volume and even the volume unit price, THAT IS NOT THE MANUFACTURER. This is because retailers and manufacturers are suited to different business tactics.

Just because you know how to find information doesn't mean it's not being purposely obfuscated to confuse people dumber than you. Given how circular your reasoning is, that's probably only like 30% of people.

ok so you just proved you have no fucking idea what you're talking about on this entire subject and are even more stupid than previously thought.
Why would you be looking at the sizes if not to compare them to previous sizes.
you get it

Video games. Used to be 50-60 bucks for a full game and now you're paying 100+ for DLC and microtransactions. Cosmetic/hygiene products that come in a bottle.

>tfw games started fucking us with dlc
>tfw i just pirate everything i want now
>tfw i dont even play vidya anymore
Such is life

>i-it's inflation! they need to reduce the size or charge more
Here's the thing. They do both and their profit margins continue to increase year after year.

yeah and i find a different brand.
only a true asswipe in every sense of the word, would continually sit and pay more and more for the same shit.

>if they weren't trying to deceive consumers they wouldn't try to hide the downsizing by changing the packaging dimensions in weird ways
Yes, I get that. My point is that it's totally irrelevant because any non-idiot will be ignoring the packaging and will be looking at the weight or volume on the package instead.

>>THAT IS NOT THE MANUFACTURER.
It was just another example of how easy this information is to find. But if you prefer to restrict the discussion to the manufactuere's markings, that doesn't change anything: every product has the weight marked right there on the package.

>>Why would you be looking at the sizes if not to compare them to previous sizes.
For either of two reasons:
1) to know how many units of said product I need to buy to suit my recipe needs
or
2) to calculate the cost per unit so I can compare among the various brands there are on the shelf.

Comparing to a previous size is completely pointless unless that "previous size" is also sitting there on the shelf.

Video games is a bad example, they have generally been going down in price.

Back when I was a kid with an SNES it was common for a cartridge to cost $60. Factor in Inflation and that becomes about $120 in today's money. Very very few games cost anywhere close to that, unless you're talking about fancy collector's editions with all sorts of extra stuff. Plus I don't think too many people will argue that today's games give you a lot more playtime and more impressive graphics, etc, compared to the past.

>tfw one retailer near me doesn't have these on the labels at all
>tfw one retailer deliberately uses different measurements on different labels, i.e. the small size is priced per ounce, and the big one is priced per pound
>literally no reason to do this other than to try and confuse the consumer on purpose

>Reddit, the post
Go ask mommy to explain this to you, you'll understand when you have to actually support yourself, otherwise until then you have no concept of it means to continually be asked to pay more while getting less. there are options, but not for millennial faggots like you.
You look at groceries like a netflix subscription and when the price goes up you go oh well, ill pay, they deserve more of my money. rather than fucking look for options you just sit there, eating mouthful after mouthful of the same tired day in day out shit that defines millennial existence.

While I agree that the markings are right there, and I make my purchase decisions based on the volume unit price, I would argue that being purposefully deceptive to your consumer base is not irrelevant. I guarantee if laws were not in place forcing manufacturers to lable the volume they fucking wouldn't. I'm not for creating legislation to restrict them fucking with their packaging, but they're still scummy fags for doing it. That's the point of the thread, OP was basically going "hey look at this shit, isn't this behavior bullshit?"

You're badically presenting a red herring and clinging to it.

>you'll understand when you have to actually support yourself,
That's my point. I understood this the moment I moved out and went to college. How the fuck are you supposed to calculate your budget and know how much to buy if you aren't reading the weights on packages?

>>You look at groceries like a netflix subscription and when the price goes up you go oh well, ill pay
That makes no sense at all. I'm the one advocating that people read the fine print and make decisions based on math, not blindly accepting whatever gets thrown your way.

>>rather than fucking look for options
That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm looking at prices and weights (as opposed to the packaging) to determine what to buy.

>always comparing current prices
this generation is doomed.
this is a level of stupid i cannot comprehend.

Look, you have the right idea, but what about in 2 years from now when you're spending double but still going well brand X is still 20% cheaper than brand Y?

>this generation is doomed.
I'm 46.

>> but what about in 2 years from now when you're spending double but still going well brand X is still 20% cheaper than brand Y?
What does any of that have to do with the discussion at hand? Yes, prices go up. It's called inflation. I'm not even sure of what you're trying to say.

Is it annoying that what once cost $0.50 now costs $2? Sure. But It's not as if anyone can go back in time, so we're all stuck dealing with current prices. I make my purchase decisions based mostly on quality, but price and volume are considerations too. I.e. how much am I getting for my money. Whether or not the same brand cost less or came in larger packages years ago doesn't matter because those earlier packages aren't available for purchase today.

Are you trying to suggest that we somehow fix prices so that manufacturers can't raise them? That sounds like some kind of communist pipe dream. Inflation exists, constantly increasing legal requirements & other business costs exist (and are ever growing). It's absurd to think that prices can or even should remain flat. As I posted far earlier in the thread, the only options are:
-raise prices
-reduce package size
-both
And anyone who isn't stupid can simply read the package to see what, if anything, changed. The point being there is no "trickery" unless you are too dumb to read a label.

I'm relatively certain the guy's just a troll, though I actively want to believe that rather than the alternative.

So inflation for the snickers in the OP was 10% overnight?
Also, without looking how many grams are in a standard box of cheerios today?

>I'm 46.
still calling people faggot on the internet. still havent lost that mid 90's edge there have ya Brendan?
im with you, i refuse to believe people are actively this stupid. companies spend countless hours perfecting how to dupe unsuspecting rubes like so much that it's an artform now.
>pic related
same package, same price, 14% less.

>So inflation for the snickers in the OP was 10% overnight?
I doubt it was overnight. But at some point management had to figure out: we're not making enough money on this product, better change it. Clearly it would be impractical for them to be changing prices on a daily basis, so they change them whenever the market conditions dictate it.

>>how many grams are in a box of cheerios without looking
1) I have no idea. I don't buy breakfast cereal.
2) You're missing the whole point by even asking me that. The point is that nobody should memorize that. They should look and compare every time, that way "trickery" cannot occur.

What's the per weight price of anything you buy regularly? If you can't answer then they can change it tomorrow and you wouldn't know since the price is the same.

>they can change it tomorrow and you wouldn't know since the price is the same.
Prices change often. So even if the weight was consistent the ratio of price to food is constantly in flux.

Why would it matter if they did change it? Who even cares? The fact that the price may have changed is totally irrelevant to a purchase decision.

If I need a product and I'm browsing what's on the supermarket shelf the only thing that matters is what the prices and weights/volumes are right now. If Brand B used to be 20¢ cheaper and Brand C used to contain 100g more in the box how can that affect my purchase decision at all? I can't buy those previous versions of the packaging so why would they matter?

Oh, and to answer your question, here are a few:
-good chickens from Azn market: $12.50 each, regardless of weight
-chicken backs $0.49/lb
-pork belly $3.29/lb
-outside skirt steak $6.99/lb
-gallon of milk $4.99 for my preferred brand. $3.99 for store brand.

We're obviously talking about pre-packaged food itt...

>$5 for gallon of milk JUST
ill take that pork belly tho

>We're obviously talking about pre-packaged food itt...
Sorry, I don't buy much of that. I cook from scratch.

But a few things I can think of:
-large container (I think it's 60 oz) PRB gold label light soy sauce $12.99
-bottle of Takara mirin, 750mL,
-1 lb pinto beans, store brand bag, $0.89
-Colman's mustard powder, small can, $3.79
-Pomi tomatoes in tetrapak $2.99

Now how is this relevant again?

I don't know I just like to compare prices from different parts of the world

So don't buy them.
Not even saying pirate them, just... don't play them.

>still calling people faggot on the internet.
Where did I call anyone a faggot, user?

>> how to dupe unsuspecting rubes like (You)
How can I be duped when I'm the one talking about reading the package carefully?

Remember when Jews were expelled from Britain because 10% of them participated in shaving bits of silver and gold coins so they'd get more money without the goy noticing.

Makes one think.

Why? Once you include inflation you'll see that games are cheaper than they ever have been.

Old-school console and PC video games cost well over $100 in today's money when they were new and they were (generally speaking) far shorter than today's games.

I fucking hate girl scout cookies. Reason why? Because I was a cub scout.

When I was a cub scout, we had to make these bird feeders and sell them door-to-door. That taught me two things: I am not a carpenter, and I am not a salesman. Nobody's buying some crappy bird feeder from a kid going door-to-door. That shit sucked, but it was a man's lesson to learn.

You look at the girl scouts, AND THEY DON'T EVEN MAKE THE FUCKING COOKIES! And who's going to say no to some cute little girl selling cookies?

Me, that's who. Fuckabuncha thin mints. Fuck a samoa. A girl scout comes to my house selling cookies, and I will laugh and laugh and laugh before slamming the door in their face. If they have a brother in the cub scouts selling bird feeders, I'll buy ten of those. But fuck a bunch of girl scouts making zero fucking effort to sell a thing they didn't fucking make.

>2017 'murrica
>thinks girl scouts still go door to door

Dude odds are they couldn't go 10 houses without one of them being occupied by a pedo. They setup tables in front of grocery and shopping center doors and accost you as you're entering and exiting. Just scowl and shake you're head like I do. Thankfully, I guess I'm scary and ugly enough that they remember and don't hit me up on my way out.

>Dude odds are they couldn't go 10 houses without one of them being occupied by a pedo.
>pic related
got a feelin pedos would be passin on these girl scouts

More like Pedro's, am I right

It's ok.
Old customers will stop buying their cookies and die out, young customers will replace you and they won't miss what they never experienced, namely, an extra 0.5oz in their candy bars.

*ba dum tss*

The people who knew better are dying out.

Simple, vote with your wallet. Support quality content whether it comes from a triple-A dev or an indie studio of 6 men. Don’t buy DLC unless you really find it to be worth the money. Don’t play fucking Cawa Dooty.

This is the best answer. Oscar Mayer did the same thing over the years with their lunch meat. They sent the molds to machine shops where they were modified to be slightly smaller every couple years or so.

>t. Machinist who frequently manufactures and modifies food industry machine parts

Fucking jews

Inflation raises the cost to make the products so the companies can do two things
>a) raise price
>b) keep the price the same and make product smaller to adjust to the additional costs of inflation

op youre a just jewing yourself mate

I still buy watermelon now and then because lol Trayvon

Funny thing, this has been going on for decades if not centuries. I remember reading an old copy of "the ridiculously expensive Mad" which was a collection of mad magazine from the 60s and it had some gags about whipped butter getting more and more whipped so you could sell the same amount for more. And it even predicted the widening of cereal boxes.

wow why do for-profit organizations want to maximize their profit???

Destiny 2 + season pass is $90 where I am ...

No one else makes Snickers.

>uh it's inflation get over it, as long as there is a reason you can't complain!
I don't care what the reason is, when someone tries to upcharge me on what I used to get for less, I notice and I draw a line where I eventually stop buying that item. My dollar is worth a certain sized candy bar, and when they can't give me that size then I don't spend my dollar.

Because they're immoral corporatists who care more about money than their product. Doesn't vindicate them.

>Doesn't vindicate them.
No, but it most certainly isn't surprising or unexpected.

1) that's a special, deluxe version which includes the season pass. It's not really comporable to a standard game.
2) which game do you think offers the player better value for their money: A modern, big-name, fully HD game that supports online play and DLC versus an 8-bit cartridge you'd be done with in 20 hours? Because "back in the day" Contra for the NES cost the equivalent of $120 in today's money.

If you compare game vs. game (no DLC) then the modern game is roughly HALF the price of the old-school one, despite being so much longer, more complex, incomparably better graphics, etc.

I'm not sure why millenials whine about the high cost of video games. They have never been better value for money than they are today. And if DLC bothers you, don't buy it. Simple as that.