ITT: Worst kitchen gadgets

ITT: Worst kitchen gadgets

Other urls found in this thread:

myer.com.au/shop/mystore/carbon-steel-36cm-non-stick-wok-431412760-431412400
youtube.com/watch?v=H2A1qYpp4HA
youtu.be/H2A1qYpp4HA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bialetti, Bodum, Hario and every coffee appliance brand makes stupid stuff like this, repackaging their flagship product to do something slightly different like a "tea infuser", or a "milk frother", what's the point?
Who falls for this shit?
I even saw bialetti making toasters and bodum making grinders, that's not their domain, their designs don't even look good, and they cost more because of their brand name.

My parents used to have one because they liked hot chocolate in their coffee. Its was a unitasker but it was a good design. The spinny thing inside was magnetic so their were notthing difficult to clean

they cost more because of their brand name.
That's exactly the point. Brand loyalty. They know their brand has a reputation and are betting people will buy it simply because of that.

The single worst, bar none, is a tossup between this and a glass cutting board.

What the fuck is the function of this tool?

only thing I can think of is something you squish potatoes with while frying to turn them into pringles shapes.

Air "fryer"

It's a taco press.
They work great.

It's for making hard taco shells. You put a corn tortilla in it and then stick it in to a pot of hot oil (or a deep fryer).

It's for making hard shell taco shells.

This is the only truly right answer

>The single worst, bar none, is a tossup between this and a glass cutting board.
holy fuck yes

heres an honorable mention

This man speaks truth.

Imagine some hipster standing around the tomatoes at your grocery store poking holes in them all with his dirty cracked iPhone

Eh, I use mine a lot but I could get by without one if I had to.

>The harmful substances are extremly higher than norm

I'm kind of curious why. Smashing garlic with a knife is much faster and requires less cleanup.

maybe try using one instead of being a fag

I have. I've noticed many problems with:
-flimsy construction
-difficult to clean
-not very large (can only fit small portions of food)
-inferior results compared to deep frying (food is not as crisp)
-takes longer than deep frying.

I threw the fucker away.

I have no idea what the fuck this even is.

What's wrong with glass cutting boards? I've rarely used them, but don't recall them being super awful.

I've never used one but they sound fucking terrible.

The big one is that hey are harder than your knife blade. So that means every time you cut you are dulling your knife. A cutting board should be softer than your knife, not harder. That way it won't fuck up the edge.

Glass boards are also useless if you need to chop anything with any sort of force, like breaking down bones for making stock, for example. Or cutting the head off a fish, removing chicken wings, etc. Finally, they are usually very smooth and slippery. That makes them easy to clean, but it also means your food goes flying all over the place when you're trying to mince herbs or finely chop something.

Is a cast iron or carbon steel flat bottom wok an acceptable kitchen tool?

ok makes sense. How do you keep a wooden cutting board clean? It's a porous surface, so won't germs/bacteria get lodged into the surface, especially if you are cutting meat on it?

What is it "testing" for that's harmful?

You wash it. If you're really paranoid you can scrub it with bleach.

>>It's a porous surface, so won't germs/bacteria get lodged into the surface, especially if you are cutting meat on it?
They can, but not in enough quantity to matter. As long as you aren't an idiot and put something that will be served raw straight onto a puddle of meat juice you're fine. Wood also has natural antibacterial properties--google it.

There are also plastic and hard rubber cutting boards. These can go in the dishwasher so they can be sanitized by heat. OTOH, they don't have the natural antibacterial properties that wood does.

anyway, no matter what board you have just wash it before you use it for food that will be served raw. I just stick mine in the sink and use a normal scrub brush, hot water, and dish soap.

Sure. Just as long as it's not nonstick!

>natural antibacterial properties of wood
I did not know this. I've been using plastic cutting boards because I was wary of keeping wooden ones clean.

Everything that is wrong with the San Fransisco culture

According to their website it tests for nitrite and nitrate.
Remember that time you got nitrate poisoning from a tomato? Now it need never happen again.

I only consume gmo free produce so I'm safe, no gadget needed!

I believe that's the Juicero. A "juicer" that you had to feed special bags of material rather than actual fruits and it had DRM which required it to be online to function.
It somehow wasn't a success.
I think Ivanka bought one.

It was a raging success until some business reporter wrote a column saying they could just crush the juice bags with their hands, completely invalidating the need for the fantabulous drm-and-wifi-enabled $600 juice pressing contraption. Their business went kaput within a couple of weeks after that.

If you liked Juicero, maybe you'll enjoy Mitte

>mitte® is the world's first home-use water purifier and water vitalizer. Turn any tap water into healthy, enhanced water at the push of a button.

>Personalize your daily drinking water with 3 different mineral cartridges containing varying levels of natural minerals and ingredients. The result: perfectly balanced mineral water for your lifestyle.

>One cartridge should last up to 400 liters, or around 105 gallons, and they vary in price from €40 ($47) to €50 ($58)

>mitte starts at $328

Weren't the bags themselves stupidly expensive as well, though? I don't see why people would be too cheap to buy the machine but still pay for the bags. Just buy some juice.
But I guess it was made for people with more money than common sense to begin with.

only retards would continue to buy the bags without the juicero

What a horribly uninspired deisign. Looks like something a teenager would make with one of them modding tools you get with certain games, with a very limited set of tools and building blocks.

I got a carbon steel non stick wok, how did I fuck up???

the idea behind woks are that they're generally for extremely high-temperature frying, and the shape gives a level of control over the heat distribution.
nonstick coating chemicals aren't supposed to be heated over like... 450 degrees or something? I don't know the number, but past that the coating gets messed up and it leeches toxic chemicals and stuff.

Woks are for high-heat, nonstick is only for low-heat, defeats its own purpose.

This device is great if you live in an area with witches

Fuck, oh well it was 50% off so $40 down the drain it is.

Or I could just use it at very high heat, burn off the non stick coating and get a refund, lets see how lazy I am

"Dude that thing won't even cut my fucking bagel!"

>current yeaer
>not enhancing your water

Not a goddamn thing wrong with this. You think ANYONE has ever, ever detected that the garlic was pressed instead of cut by knife? Fuck no they haven't

horrible clacking and scraping sounds, and they destroy knives. you also can't be as rough with them as you can be with a normal wood or plastic board -- put too much weight on it in the sink, it shatters. drop it, it shatters. put something hot or cold on it, it shatters.

also as soon as it suffers any damage you have to throw it out.

the danger of a teflon pan is vastly overstated but it is true that heating it up too hot will ruin the coating.

>egg slicer
delete this

My mom bought one of these cocoa latte machines and we used it once. A few years later I found in in a closet and found out there was a recall because they would leak lead.

Hario makes great stuff you pleb

Pro tip: use a fine cheese grater for the same results.

also bodum makes unironically good shit, they are wizards of pyrex and the monkey is a qt

>"milk frother",
if you want a good alternative to a milk frother, pick up a cheap small booze drink shaker. just throw some milk in with some ice and shake it. it'll be frothy

stop the thread, the real story here is figuring out where this dude found an $80 msrp wok. i thought i overpaid at $14.

It was actually $99 rrp in dollerydoos

myer.com.au/shop/mystore/carbon-steel-36cm-non-stick-wok-431412760-431412400

I stacked a few coupons to get it for $42.56

Fuck you I own that exact one and it's a lot quicker. Not as good but it's quicker.

I got my wok for $5 from Walmart just because I needed a bigger pan for stir fry

one time a few people were standing around in our kitchen and the glass cutting board shattered when no one was using it or touching it. little pieces of glass went everywhere and continued shattering for 5 minutes. this one didn't have a smooth surface, it was very rough. before it broke I wondered why it even existed
you can also oil it up with mineral oil too

I can see how it works, i mean people are stupid and i know some people believe in memes of alkaline water so this is not bad. The design though, that's nasty

bread machine. the whole point of making bread is to enjoy making it. oh, and microwaves.

People call that a unitasker but I find it really useful for pressing my garlic through too

Throw in an almond activator for free and that's a hell of a deal.

lol fuck off faggot

I used my garlic press to strain soup. It ISN'T a Unitasker. It can also be used to press other veggies, mince beef, among others.

You're gonna need to pay for that sir

Nice maymay, my good sir, have your (You).

>how many banana sliced do you want in your cereal this sunny morning my son?

It's at least marginally useful as a water distiller and there's nothing bad about adding in trace minerals naturally found in ground wat-

>it has a Bluetooth app

Into the trash it goes

Imagine your dick getting caught in that.

>I use my garlic press to strain soup
I am confused on so many levels, quadsboy.

Existing?

>$9

Wut

Is that what those are for?

What I do is not deliberately add more fatty ingredient than I want.

You put it in the freezer and it congeals/thickens fat when you put it on.

It's for the type of idiot who paper towels their pizza.

Also useful for stealing comically large diamonds from museums.

>It's for the type of idiot who paper towels their pizza.
Thin people?

Got a link?

Did someone draw that with a crayon?

it's needless cleanup and loud!
taking into account people with arthritis or other ailments that prevent holding a knife well, the force you have to use to get it going would be just as painful.

Love in Europoorland, do burgers really do this? Don't know a single Yuro who does and the people I know range from thin to normal

Crushed garlic does taste differently from garlic cut with a knife, though. Same story with cucumber.
I don't know why. Something with releasing stuff from burst cells I imagine.

Fuck you. I love my egg slicer.
When my mother passes, hopefully many years from now, I'll inherit her all-metal one.

*live

*laugh

Former Navy airplane mechanic here. We had a bunch of those claw things just in case a nut or bolt falls in a hard to reach spot.

they're retarded, every building has a sink so just use the water from that

youtube.com/watch?v=H2A1qYpp4HA

honestly just throw baking soda at it, that's basically what goes into a B class extinguisher anyway

the ideal way to prepare garlic is to crush it and then slice it

a garlic crusher would save you some time by making it one big step guess

Those are grate for things that a too small to hold comfortably. Nuts or the last stump of nutmeg for example.

Learn from the master youtu.be/H2A1qYpp4HA

Every mechanic should own one. And every doctor.

>one time a few people were standing around in our kitchen and the glass cutting board shattered when no one was using it or touching it.
lmao

i can sorta believe this, when i was a kid a cheap plastic plate shattered in the kitchen because one side of it got hotter than the other. it was next to the stove on the counter and we just heard this loud pop and crashing noises and the plate was fukken exploded.

Pizzas in Europe don't have that much grease. You don't have to pour away a pool of oil before you eat.

>oil catches on fire
>put it out with water