Do pans really need to be washed? Why not just rinse them off or wipe them down and then let the heat disinfect them...

Do pans really need to be washed? Why not just rinse them off or wipe them down and then let the heat disinfect them? Saves time and water!

Other urls found in this thread:

medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318383.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good point

>reusing pans
You poorfags should go to Veeky Forums

ive been doing that for 2 years. i only use 1 pot and 1 spoon

Rinsing alone doesn't remove fat/oil that's on the pan. And fats can get rancid by simple exposure to air.

Heating up a pan does render it safe because the heat kills the bacteria, but it does nothing to remove the rancid taste of fat, or mismatched flavors from old bits of food on there.

Well that is how you treat carbon steel and cast iron pans, but there’s a technique to it and if you do it right the oils will actually kind of bond to the metal. Plus you do have to scrape off all the bits of food.

You could, but you'd most likely leave food residue (eg. Fats/oils, stuck proteins). Even if "heat" would sterilize your pan right after rinsing it, when cooled down, there would be bacterioligucal contamination by air exposure unless you'd heat your pan so much that'd there be a degradation (most likely oxidation or decarboxylation) of the food molecules that micro-organisms wouldn't be able to metabolize it. Then again, you'd have burnt stuff stuck to your pan which far from ideal. Anyways, I have not tried rinsing and wiping only my pans and find out if ther'd turn out disgusting the next time I'll use them. Find out for yourself and come back on Veeky Forums to tell us your wonderful journey.

>i only use a pan once and throw it out

For most pans, especially non-stick, you can easily wipe off almost all of the fat and residue off with a paper towel.

You only have 1 pot and 1 spoon, and you still can't be bothered to wash them?

why should i wash them if im gonna use em in a few hours? the boiling water of soup and flames from my stovetop kill all germs anyway

but you might discover interesting new flavors that most prissy clean chefs never would

So you don't get flavors from meal A into meal B.

i have a feeling Meal A and Meal B are both ramen in his case

Most top chefs never wash their pans either, no point because they use them all the time.

rarely. most of the time i boil vegetables, egg, beans, and spaghetti in a pot. maybe add some flour to thicken the broth. ramen is what i use if i run out of spaghetti

This is what I do.

>Why not just rinse them off or wipe them down and then let the heat disinfect them? Saves time and water!

This is exactly what I do, though.

You clean pans because what sticks most to pans are oil and burnt proteins. If you have a shit ton of oil on a steel pan, then it's just going to sit on top and get into your food, also it's probably gone rancid from oxidization by the time you use it next. If it's burnt proteins then you have burnt residue in your food and the heat has to go through the burnt shit to get to your food. The reason you can season cast iron is because the metal is somewhat porous and the oil doesn't transfer into the food and has less contact with oxygen.

>not just rinse them off or wipe them down
Does that not count as washing?

The best way to clean a real dirty pan is too fill it with water and heat it till it almost boils, then pour it out and rinse it with hot water. Shit will come loose like a lizard shedding skin. Plus the sizzling water will keep the fats from clogging your pipes.

Don't use no detergent man, that shit's unnecessary.

I never wash my cast iron. Just let it cool a bit. Eat my meal, then come back and run it under boiling tap water. Scrub with a scrub brush. It's fine.

I meant a quick wipe down or rinsing, as opposed to cleaning it thoroughly with soap and a scrubby pad.

>Most top chefs never wash their pans either, no point because they use them all the time.

Maybe in the shithole dive bar you eat chicken tenders at, any professional place cleans their tools thoroughly.

If there is nothing left on the pan after the rinse than yeah, thats fine.

>Do pans really need to be washed?
Only if there's like crusty shit stuck to the bottom.
>Why not just rinse them off
That's all you need to do.

who care's about flavor though its literally just fuel

I am not an expert but you need to consider that there are heat-resistant bacteria and also that bacteria leave behind waste and I don't know if heat sterilizes that.

that you are even hear on a cooking board implies that you care about flavour. If you didn't, then what does cooking offer you?

just get grain/protein/raw veggies and consume as necessary, you don't need direction for that.

I am not an expert but you need to consider that there are heat-resistant bacteria and also that bacteria leave behind waste and I don't know if heat sterilizes that.

>mismatched flavors
You need all the flavors to get to Flavortown

If it's cast iron then you're not supposed to wash it. Just rinse with some hot water and season.

season it everytime after you cook something?? fuck that noise

this 2bh if you throw some soap and hot water on a proper nonstick pan everything should sluice right out

if youve made eggs or fish or something else sticky then you have to get the sponges out tho

I think he just means dry it and then wipe it down with oil

I've literally never had anything in a non-stick pan that didn't get wiped clean with a few strokes of the sponge.

This guy biologies

Clean the shit off. Any bacteria that forms a spore could survive the heat, then spoil whatever food is cooked on it. Plus, some toxins denature when cooked but some don't -- for instance staph toxin sticks around

Fucking retarded. Why not just eat buckwheat like a horse?

hot water and one of these cleans a pan real quick i still use soap though because it gets rid of any oil / seasonings

I rinse my cast iron off with just water to get off various vegetables and then wipe it with a paper towel.
My Wok is a different story.

I clean the ever loving shit out of things after I make shrimp because my best friend is allergic, there's a reason

your friend is probably just hopping on the shrimp allergy bandwagon and is not really allergic. slip some shrimp in his food one time and you'll see the truth of it

>it gets rid of any oil / seasonings
But that's where the FLAVOR is

>Poison someone to make sure they are effected by the poison they claim to be susceptible to.
..... Nice.

I think he was making a joke premised around how absurd it is to get all huffy over someone saying (or claiming) they have a gluten allergy/intolerance

Jesus cooking with cast iron sounds fucking disgusting

I try to clean my cast iron as soon as possible after eating, sometimes this takes a couple days.

>Get tap water as hot as possible
>Quick scrub with soap and noscratch pad (only as much as needed to get stuck on stuff off
>Put it on the stove on medium-low heat to dry
>wait until it starts smoking, rub it down with olive oil
>little more stove time until the oil 'dries' on the bottom

Works pretty good. Haven't gotten sick from it, haven't worn through the seasoning, and its nonstick with everything but eggs.

yeah, you just re-use the same old pan without really washing it, gross as fuck

You should also replace your car seats after every time you fart into them. It's gross otherwise.

>implying i don't have someone cooking for me
Time to leave your mommies house sweetie.

>he farts
kys you global warming slob

It may not be very healthy as well. Too many foods leach iron that can enter your body and may lead to the development of athlerosclerosis.

>olive
At least use vegetable.
Lard or flax is ideal.

thats what happened to Tony Stark

Sounds good to me, I have an iron deficiency anyways.

I think most men are supposed to have an excess of iron in their system, that's why many men's multivitamins are available with or without iron. So cooking an with iron skillet all the time could eventually lead to excess iron in your blood if you are a guy.

Women's menstruation usually keeps their iron levels low. Once they reach menopause, their iron levels start climbing, as does their risk of heart attacks.

that's the joke

Oh.

I do this, it works great.
You're supposed to run COLD water when you pour fats down the drain

If the mess isn't too big, instead I pour a bunch of salt into the pan and wipe it out, the salt gets shit loose without fucking up the seasoning.

>using soap on a cast iron pan

correlation is not causation, and I haven't seen anything to suggest that increased iron could be linked to heart disease

in fact, when I googled for heart disease and iron, I found literally the opposite relationship was being proposed
medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318383.php

nothing you said is remotely true