Knives

Sup Veeky Forums,

I've got about $200 to spend on a good chefs knife and am wondering if you have any recommendations.

Anryu Kurouchi Damascus Gyuto 210mm

I have this knife. It is incredibly sharp. It's high carbon so you will need to patina the blade with mustard or something. You may want to go with a stainless something instead. I love the rustic look and handle on this one though.

Don't forget to buy a cleaver for cutting bone.

That looks really nice, i'm basically after a knife to hold on to for hopefully the rest of my life, do you think that the difference in upkeep for stainless steel makes it worth looking more for one of them.

Carbon is much less tolerant of neglect. Stainless you can wash with soap and water and just put away and forget. If in doubt, go stainless.

spending a lot on a knife is a meme. i use a knife from the damn dollar store and i just sharpen it whenever i use it. it's nice and sharp and the only bad part of it is something i did while drunk and mad and the chip in the blade buffed right out with subsequent sharpenings

Don't even bother with anything in that price range. Buy uber-cheap and replace it when it goes to shit, or save up for something at the top of high-end. Either way is better.

These guys have a point. There have been times when I wished I had my $170 back. It's a great knife, but it's just a knife. The edge is so atomically thin it has received some damage just from wear and needs to be reground. Kin of a pain in the ass, but it is heirloom quality and that's why I bought it. It's just a knife. Almost any other will do nearly as well.

anything saying "x knife" is wrong.

buy a water stone or wet stone or a set or diamond stones. Get a cheap knife. learn how to sharpen it. also

>f-dick

If you don't already know which knife to buy you are clearly not into knives enough for a delicate Japanese maintenance queen. Get a Wüsthof 9'' IKON, that is a seriously nice indestructible knife and it will give you many, many years of use.

Bud you're gonna need to do some research, or with the standard wustof, henckels, or shun.

>heirloom quality
>needs to be reground
niqqa no

>can't see the tang
>tang is not fixed to the handle
>probably not even full tanged

0/10 shit knife even i wouldnt buy it and im the dude with a dollar store knife

the one thing you should be willing to pay for in a knife is safety. with a fixed blade, especially something that will see lots of use like a kitchen knife, you want it to be full tanged and have pegs or screws fitting the blade to the handle

its all fucking chipped what the fuck

Beautiful user.

Use a pinch grip, brainlet.

Here's mine, OP. Ignore the oxidation, it's harmless and prevents further damage. A good scrub and acid would make it pretty, but it does nothing to food flavor so I leave it on. Like I said, carbon is hard mode.

The edges are really very, very, very thin. They will chip if you misuse them (cutting through bone). That's why I told OP to buy a cleaver as well.

Just buy a ceramic knife. They get sharper than steel and don't need to be sharpened as often.

Just buy a shun ffs

>rest of my life
Anyone who thinks this way about kitchen knives should not be looking at expensive kitchen knives.

>They will chip if you misuse them
So will any other blade, blades should be treated like they're ablative, why hasn't the thing been re-sharpened since it was used to hack apart a cinder block or w/e?

I smashed my knife against a wall in a drunken fit and a little bit of the blade bent and chipped; as soon as i sobered up i ground that fucker out back to smoothness and it's the only chip on there because I sharpen my shit before and after use

tojiro dp or fujiwara fkm if you're just using it at home

Go buy a steak knife and swallow it

fuck are these not a meme?

>fuck are these not a meme?
I see them at the local corean grocer. They look like decent enough knives. I think the ceramic is just a coating though, like on jet engine fans. The edge is metal, the rest of it is basically glazed ceramic like a mug and so very easy to clean and pretty insensitive to most trauma that isn't hitting it against hard stuff (which you shouldnt do with a knife anyway)

I basically did what these guys did. Went on Amazon and got a cheap $40 Ginsu knife set about 7 years ago. Still good, just need to sharpen them every now and then, and it's not like it's that difficult to do.

>Has a rusty knife
>Don't worry guys it has no impact on my food

How lazy are you, stop making excuses and clean your fucking knife. In the future take better care of it and dry it instantly.

You should not need to sharpen your knife with each use. Even in a professional kitchen you'd do it once a week.

Alot of things that people do in resteraunts arn't good for home, like the olive oil flasks that aren't tinted and open to the air, but a good knife will be full tanged and not stainless, make sure that the handle is a comfortable shape and of a steel type that wont fracture right away. and get a whetstone and use it every week if you're not a chef

Stop being autistic and just get a full tang mid carbon steel knife

You shouldn't spend more than $100 if you're going to use it daily and this isn't just some autistic purchase because all knives will break down with long-term daily use.

Bought a set of the cheaper Kai knives in TK Maxx for about 25% of retail.