Does anyone else think Infinite Jest is too autistically-written to enjoy...

Does anyone else think Infinite Jest is too autistically-written to enjoy? I appreciate his critiques of life in modern American and his effort to offer cutting insight into our lives. I really enjoy literature from knowledgeable artists who want to address the dysfunctional nature of 21st/late 20th century American culture. Writers who aren't spooked by happenings and cultural shifts. But I think his style is too pretentious and autistic to be able to deliver the full weight of despair present in our times, it seems like he went too far with the irony meme.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KmiQfFSUWu8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Go look up a medical definition of autism and fuck off with your meme laden pseudo literary criticism.

Guess that's one "no....."

I found it to be really enjoyable in some parts but those parts were way too small as opposed to the tonnes upon tonnes of pretentiousness. I stopped reading it after 200 pages or so. If the book was half or even a third of it's size then it might have been better.

Man that's not even a quarter of the book

If I'm 200 pages into a +1000 paged novel and I'm not getting anything out of it, why should I continue to read it?
I have read his short stories and some of his essays, imo they're much better than IJ.

I read one of his short stories in Haruki Murakami's collection, 'Birthday Stories'. I enjoyed it. But I'm currently reading 'Mythology' and will move on to the Greeks soon and work through the backlog until I arrive at modern literature.

:)

you can read some modern literature without going through every book in the canon..

Right. But, for the moment, I am happy exploring these older texts.

I mean, you shouldn't. But what did you think was pretentious about it?

It didn't feel like anything was actually happening. I may be wrong since I didn't finish the book but when I was reading it just seemed that DFW was writing an 'empty' book for the lack of a better word to convey a society of emptiness. If that's the case great, but it just doesn't make for a very entertaining and or worthwhile read for me personally.

youtube.com/watch?v=KmiQfFSUWu8

DFW is definitely the King of Assburger Veeky Forums, a savant to writing and the appearance of normality.

Kafka is the only genuinely Autistic writer.

Edgy faggot couldn't even burn the whole thing.

Lol...

I feel the opposite way, the "autistic" writing is what I enjoy most about IJ

>Kafka
>autistic

U wot? He wasnt autistic, he was a very social person who dressed well, held public talks and readings and had a knack for meeting women

>being this fucking naive about autism and reality

>the reality of autism*

Veeky Forums fucked it up for you guys.
autism is complicated.

I agree. I've had Infinite Jest for years and always give up before finishing even 5 pages. I just can't tolerate the style.

Man, plenty happens, even in the admittedly slow first 200 pages. It's a novel with a lot of pieces and parts, using repetition of imagery and phrases to connect otherwise unrelated stuff. Lots of laughs, gaffs, goofs, and shenanigans too.

I agree the style is outrageous and borderline unreadable. He uses the word "like" and speaks how an actual person talks in the modern era. The chapters aren't clearly labeled, and don't always go in chronological order too, and this is blasphemous. My simple mind requires a clearly identifiable plot that I can explain to my friends in one sentence when I'm bragging to my friends about reading the mysterious "Infinite Jest", as I only read for the plot and to say I read it. The "artsy" parts of the book are not as surface-level and obvious as the grueling 200-page virtue-signaling novels my self-loathing English professors made me read, but I can relate to IJ more than the "classics" Veeky Forums tells me to read (and since everyone in my life thinks I'm a faggot, something I can relate to must be bad). Instead of giving a highly regarded book an honest try, I'll just complain about it online and quit 36 pages in, because I'm too superior, yet I'll call the book pretentious. I'll just go ahead and label a subjective work of art as objectively bad. Hundreds of other totally not miserable people on Veeky Forums seem to feel the same way so I must be right. The big, bad Infinite Jest. The 9/11 of literature. Look at all these DFW threads... ahhh sweet, sweet validation.

>since everyone in my life thinks I'm a faggot, something I can relate to must be bad
Wew.

11 dollar coaster

>11
Considering that it costs closer to $18 this isn't even a good deal.

I haven't read IJ but they way my housemates talk about it and the few sections I've actually read make me think the whole thing is some kind of weird pseudo-sincerity fuckery that I don't like the sound of at all. Why read 1200 pages of that shit?

OP be cry