She's p good guys

Other urls found in this thread:

poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/55520
poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/56376
poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/55516
poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?volume=145&issue=6&page=12
people.virginia.edu/~jdk3t/eliotulysses.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Didn't open the link. I'm redpilled, I just needed to look at her skin color and sex.

We have to keep posting this whore for months to come, to ensure that the resident leftist realize that this is what aspiring white male writers like us are being oppressed by through the publishing industry. Spread this to /pol/ and /r9k/, even fucking plebbit, we must redpill people to this gross injustice

I really dislike the prosaic nature of contemporary poetry.
This doesn't seem all that bad, though.

she's refusing he new-found position as a political pulpit and rather, trying to encourage new readers to seek poetry for the variety of ideas and forms it can offer. Also, she's honestly a good poet.

poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/55520

It could definitely be much much worse

She's conversational, but she definitely cares about the rhythms in her work.

>black woman
Sorry, but we live in an affirmative action society. When you demand that institutions award prestige to minorities regardless of their merit, you cheapen institutional prestige, eventually to the point of meaninglessness. In the days that Robert Penn Warren was the US poet laureate I could respect the institution because of the genius required to achieve its praise. Now that the Library of Congress prefers the mediocrity of a more progressive taste, it would be aesthetically immoral for me to respect this woman in any way whatsoever.

There can be no doubt that she's inferior to us as white men

Just finished it, can't say i cared for it too much.
She definitely has a good rhythm, but her stanzas are often lazy and filled with very awkward half-rhymes.

She wasn't the first black or first woman or even first black woman to be the poet laureate desu

Fact is it should be a white man of the conservative bend

>tfw you go from reading Hart Crane to this

Good for her but I honestly feel bad for poets writing today.

What's the fucking point? The novel is still alive. Poetry? What's the point?

You mean unlike Robert Penn Warren?
She's definitely a step up from Billy Collins.

I don't really agree, but would like to talk about how you see the stanzas as lazy. Maybe the single-line stanzas.

I can't help but feel like this decision was made on behalf of progressives and publicity... she's good but she's not doing anything worth being a damn laureate that's for sure.

>awkward half-rhymes.

Why are some people so hostile to slant rhyme? Please have some more developed critique of it before you throw it under the bus. It's not the nineteenth century anymore.

Truly embarrassing to see what the West has succumbed to, giving this women a voice.

>Then the costumes go back on their racks
>And the great gleaming set goes black.
This one in particular stood out as awkwardly paced, either the rhyme timing is off, or the rhyme is off, depends if back or rack is the A.
A lot of the one-liners are fairly dull, meandering non-statements that you would hear from a 18 year old girl. And the diction is increadibly simplistic and prosaic, although that is probably the point (i dislike it nonetheless, even though it fits the poem)
And act 4 is garbage through and through, and 5 is meh.

No, i like slant rhymes, i dislike awkward and bad slant rhymes.
And even better when they serve an underlying purpose/metaphor. These ones don't, and it feels contrived.

Are you implying the 19th century wasn't a mecca for slant rhymes?

Are you retarded?

You should consider driving your car off of a mountain.

>this doesn't seem all that bad
>she's honestly a good poet
>praising her work
>praising her work
>praising her work
Alright folks I'll post an excerpt of what you seem to admire:
After dark, stars glisten like ice, and the distance they span
Hides something elemental. Not God, exactly. More like
Some thin-hipped glittering Bowie-being—a Starman
Or cosmic ace hovering, swaying, aching to make us see.
And what would we do, you and I, if we could know for sure

Do you understand that this is utter garbage? What the fuck is wrong with you people.

Kek, gotta post one more marvel from the promising young author Veeky Forums seems to like.

We like to think of it as parallel to what we know,
Only bigger. One man against the authorities.
Or one man against a city of zombies. One man

Who is not, in fact, a man, sent to understand
The caravan of men now chasing him like red ants
Let loose down the pants of America. Man on the run.

Rip western civilization

It's actually not that bad, but there are better poet's out there. At least it isn't Rupi-meme tier slam crap.

literally what is wrong with those stanzas?
Do you think the Bowie this is meant without humor?
true
My favorite part is 4 (especially the quoted lines), so I guess I disagree there, but I can see why you would dislike the rhythm it creates. Makes me think of Eliot though.

I agree about 5 being weaker though.

it's not about her work, everyone in this thread is shitting on her because she's a negro femina

As it should be. This board is for redpilled beliefs

doesn't Poet Laureate basically mean the most irrelevant, talentless piece of shit in the country anymore?

The board is for reading. She has works to be read. Your subservience to petty racism (or trolling) is not the subject.

Another work of Hers
poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/56376

If you want to discuss Negro literature then find another website

>can't explain why it's bad
>insecure white boi projecting

Veeky Forums is the best CIA op ever lmao

can't believe i'm saying this but it's not ornate enough for me to be honest

competent but not moving

It means super-accessible with a solid craftsmanship and contemporary themes. See: Billy Collins, Trethewey (the actual political laureate), and Thread-related.

She's not the best, but she's a good choice, considering her clear caring for more traditional poetry being coupled with a 'casual' voice.
She rarely writes negro literature. She's not a race-obsessed cuck like you or Ta-Nehisi Coates.

here's another one of her poems:
poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/55516

Everything she writes is Negro literature; she is a Negro

t. femanon

post your feet

I kind of hoped this thread would be civil, and prove that we're not completely run over by /pol/, it kinda started good.

see

Could be worse. I read she planned on using the position to tour more rural areas and hopefully encourage funding/library events in sparser areas. I know something like that would've been wonderful when I was in HS.

That seems genuinely nice.

i don't think I've ever once seen a single civil thread on this entire site, man.

>boo hoo, my board's culture has been irreparably changed by dumb and violent immigrants
I guess you'll have to find another website now. What a shame :(

Civil in the sense that we jump at eachother's throats and the occasional racist/shitpost, not like this, where it feels like we're actually on /pol/

>gross injustice
>didn't even read it

Stfu pleb. Thanks for making it abundantly clear that "redpilled" simply means "bigoted."

This is my fifth board-change. You're probably right

Glad to see that you're on board with violent immigrants destroying cultures

Wait, this is a really good post. Have /pol/-fags finally become this self-aware, or are you just fucking with me?

He's not being clever. The /pol/fags = barbaric immigrants line has been a meme for a while, and he's just repeating it

>can't explain why it's bad
The explanation you expect from me is an equivalent of the following: "Why is 2+2=4?" - I wouldn't know where to begin.
>insecure white boi projecting
Seems like you are burdened with politics. Her poetry is shit, and you are a retard.

this is a vomit-inducing thread

Oh, i had no idea. That's kind of funny, though

/pol/ has always been self-aware; its most popular threads are usually criticisms of rightist thought. This is why you've lost the counterculture, because you think you're still arguing with Bush-era Fox News addicts and gamergate virgins

improve it
I legitimately believe you should read more, if you can describe why you dislike something.

Sort of related, I just recently found out Phillip Levine (former PL) died in 2015:

Here's a piece by him
poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?volume=145&issue=6&page=12

Go to bed PJ

>"Why is 2+2=4?" - I wouldn't know where to begin
Og course you wouldn't, there is no way in hell you have the logic vocabulary to prove that.

Mind you i said 'this self-aware', i just didn't know they had achieved this level of awareness, which i am happy about, actually.

Is this, specifically, the work which won her acclaim, or is this merely your preference OP?

>aesthetically immoral

Holy fuck. This is a perfect example of pseudointellectual language.

You have clearly NEVER studied aesthetics; you fling that word around carelessly like the uneducated plebian you are, clinging to an ideology which shelters you from the reality that you are a lazy, bourgeois man-child, who has never achieved, or written, anything of worth.

You will die in obscurity, clinging to the delusion that you have an intrinsic superiority derived from your ancestors, who were also likely bourgeois faggots who died, and lived, meaninglessly.

See

This is satire, right?

All these right wing false flags

Are you telling me you do not understand?

You probably haven't analyzed enough poetry.

I'm noticing no one in this thread is actually providing an objective analysis of this poem.

Everyone is just barking ideological yeas and nays every chance they get.

Is Veeky Forums full of Introverted Feelers? Or Feeler dominants? What is the excuse for all this anti-intellectual debate?

As for you, don't simply post an excerpt and a "kek," explain why you think it is garbage - preferably in the larger context of the full poem.

As for the excerpts you've posted, seriously, give it some thought and give me an answer as to what you think she's saying. I already know, and I'll tell you - if you'll put a little cerebral muscle into it first and demonstrate that you are genuine, and not merely another bigot who has forgotten that scoffers do not go to the wise.

>I legitimately believe you should read more, if you can't describe why you dislike something.

I'm not certain if reading will fix it, user. It surely is a problem, and a serious one. Many people have it - an inability to articulate their thoughts, that is.

I believe the root of the problem is simple:

They do not take the time to think through their thoughts. They rely on the subconscious processes, which are largely emotional and reflexive, to make their judgements. Deep contemplation is foreign to those who cannot explain their attraction or repugnance to the objects which boast it.

Rather than simply reading, I believe they must also take the time to do in-depth analyses of art. It would not matter what medium, so long as they being at a level commensurate with their skill, and move upwards.

Thank you for the poet recommendation. I'm not the user you gave it for, but I'll take it nonetheless.

Start with the Greeks (Lurk more faggot).

low quality bait

Haha, agreed. Phillip Levine's a cool dude, and I think he's one of those that'll be remembered for a bit. I remember the line that hooked me was "no bread could save us" but now I can't remember the name of the poem. It was in a collection (borrowed from a Prof) that I thumbed through.

I like that.

Close, but you forgot "agreeable to liberal coastal elite establishment sensibilities" in the most banal way. With that said, on a more serious note some Lauraeate Consultants have been good, even in recent times.

>Or one man against a city of zombies
no thanks

bowie? kubrick? why does she heavily rely on contemporary media instead of crafting her own legacy? anyone can spout interpretations of common media at length. i know that it is common to reference ancient works or allude to mythological entities, but this is going too far.
the wordplay doesn't impress me, but that could just have to do with taste. shame that someone more clearly endowed with talent couldn't be praised instead.

reddit spacing

It's been around

for years

m8

it used to be attributed

to /mu/

Upvoted.

kys

Is this a Nael reference?

this might give you a clue as to what she's doing
people.virginia.edu/~jdk3t/eliotulysses.htm
without writing an essay, it looks like she's anchoring the work in a post-religion 'mythos' to allow a certain palette of symbols and aesthetic to paint her cosmos. By using Bowie instead of Christ, she allows a certain gaudiness in the work (its important to note she's on record as saying she uses [genre]tropes as distancing devices) that wouldn't otherwise be framed. Kubrick, however, forces the symmetry. Both things advance a specific aesthetic that I find compelling.

oh, so you're just whoring out your work here. i gotcha. i shouldn't have bothered with this. this is a bad poem. if you want accolades for complexity created after the fact, be my guest and retcon your way into the history books. adding bowie and kubrick as symbols does not a cosmos build.

hmmmmm this is deep...

nah, I just don''t dislike her stuff.
>bowie and kubrick as symbols does not a cosmos build
so it can only be Jesuses and Zeuses?

it was a vague and basic analysis behind the reasoning of using those particular two people

no, not them either. the ones who built the cosmos they reside in are the only ones with claims to being a god of that domain themselves and i will not inhibit them from parimg their fingernails. i will likewise not attempt to restrict you from enjpyimg the work. i simply do not relate to it, nor wish to uncover meaning in a work that refers to zombies or namedrops kubrick so clunkily. perhaps it is merely an aversion to a burgeoning contemporary style, perhaps even one i will come to love and cherish. however, at this juncture i doubt we will come to agreement on this work. sorry to have wasted your time, as my own is dear to me, i imagine the feeling is mutual.

Everyone in this thread is shitting on her because she's praised for being a negro and a woman by everyone else. If she wrote great poetry and was distinguished for the merit of her work, that'd be another story.

>because she's praised for being a negro and a woman by everyone else.
Show me the posts in this thread that said that unironically.

appreciate the reply, and understand your feelings

Downvoted.

Or she might actually be good regardless of her skin

good one, user

we already know she isn't any good. her poems are right fucking there.

Never been, but it sounds like you have.

bump
this black woman deserves respect.

kek'd heartily