Is this actually useful, or is it only used by YA fiction authors?

Is this actually useful, or is it only used by YA fiction authors?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/KindleFreebies/comments/6h6y7x/free_trilogy_ive_just_released_the_third_book_in/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's a model like any other, you can use it well or completely fuck it up.

Maybe if I use this narrative structure that is so ubiquitous it was already used 5000 years ago people will think I stand out!

That fucking autist gaskun used it and he's in the front page of Reddit right now. There is no justice in this world

>tfw he gave me his book for free a year ago
>still haven't read it

Glad he's doing well though. He put his work in.

>gaskun
Literally who?

elaborate?
Last one is the best. I think I've seen all of these paintings in person.

A tripfag who used to post every now and then in 2015 and 2016. He's still around but doesn't show up much anymore. Anyway, he spent like 8 years writing a 4000 page space opera for teens. There's a fucking picture floating around with him sitting on the stacked manuscripts. It's fucking spergy as hell but at least he wrote it and put it out. He's giving the first books away on Reddit. Knock yourself out. I don't read genre. They called him gaskun because he worked at some kind of trucking station in a fuel shed the size of a tollbooth. Sad really.

Assuming you mean the concept in general and not just the pic:
I think it's useful, if you understand it and don't just use it like a formula. But in order to understand it properly, I'd say, you have to read a lot of Jung.

He used the heroes journey to build his 5000 page sci fi mental Illness

what a smug 4-dimensional portrait. it's like when ovid claimed he would be remembered until the death of the roman empire.

>Jung
This is the crucial difference between people who use the hero's journey and people who abuse the hero's journey

dumb phoneposter

i read some of his stuff. its just harry potter in space with robots. like seriously, he took the tropes and archtypes and swapped them around and made a different adventure but the same types of characters are there.

This guy.

Are you being ironic?

>reading /plebbit/

It's useful to understand and use to your needs, not to follow brainlessly like in this example

worked just fine for george lucas.

it has become cliche

It's really sad seeing someone degenerate in cognitive ability and skill

Where's the reddit thread?

that is exactly the opposite of what happened

Campbell was essentially mocked by semioticists and folklorists for coming up with a concept so vague and broad it both failed to actully match any real myth cycles and so narrow that it can only produce one story. It can't be defended (in an academic sense) yet is popular because it allows the unsophisticated to appear as if they have academe on their side.
Ever wonder why movies and books have a stultifying sameness to them? It is because writers only know one plot - the Hero's Journey.

It's in science fiction

reddit.com/r/KindleFreebies/comments/6h6y7x/free_trilogy_ive_just_released_the_third_book_in/

Shitty deconstruction
even shittier attempt at criticism

The good ones use it well.