So what book are you gifting your parent for fathersday?

So what book are you gifting your parent for fathersday?
You do still talk to your father right?
Or are you all little Franz Kafkas who are scared and timid when it comes to dealing with your Dad?

dunno he left before i was born

no idea, not sure if i can find a book that would redpill him that he would actually bother to finish

a redpill book that isn't by Milo, Peterson or any of those other sellout, fame seeking, low IQ whores would be really good actually.

I guess I'm a little Kafkaesque.

I've thought of a version of Kafka's metamorphosis where the entire rest of the family is one giant burden to a single member. That seems like a good one.

The same thing I do every year. a few bottles of good bourbon that he'd never buy for himself. I've tried books, but he just doesn't read. If it isn't from Fox News he can't be bothered.

My father is an aggressive and annoying person. He has some moments where he shows his love for his children, sure, but smashing stuff and yelling at us every day for inane reasons overshadows those moments completely. I'm sure as fuck not going to buy things for him for father's day, maybe for his birthday (when I get a job and move away).

yeah i'm like kafka in that regard bu the comparison is pretty faulty because i finish my books

Im certain that already is an aplicable theme for Metamorphosis the way it is.

I love my dad. He's always supported me even when I was being a fuck up. I kind of feel sad for you guys without a capable male role model. And I mean that in a genuine I wish you had a proper dad sort of way.

But anyway. Not sure what to get him this year. His birthday is pretty close to Father's day so usually we just wait until then. I'll probably just get together with my siblings and visit Dad and buy him a cake and card.

Death
Abandonment
Divorce

now that i think of it it's kind of funny that i got into kafka because my dad gave me his old copy of the trial

If it is, and I can see how it could be, its an underrepresented theme at best. I think it would be a much more compelling and thought provoking tale to have a whole family of stupid or greedy or poor people trying to take advantage of a single exceptional member; all the while he does his best to provide because that's all he's ever done.

That is most definetly a theme in the book.
It has been a while since I last read it but I remember his family was living at home while he had to suffer early trains late hours to supply the family.
And only once he fell "ill" the family had to rent rooms get multiple jobs again to make up for the one job Georg had lost.
They hate him while he is in this different form not slaving away for them making up for his fathers(?) debt and (spoiler) end up killing him.
Of course it is a theme.

My AP Lit teacher said that as long as you can find one sentence in the entire novel that supports your point whatever it may be, it's in there and not critic can refute it.

Well, its not a theme that many people focus on. Everyone wants to paint Gregor the bad guy, but from my perspective, the guy worked his ass off to support his family who were the most despicable form of ingrates; they were actually pleased when he passed! People seem to like to identify with the viewpoint that the death of Gregor was a good thing for their family, but they skim over the fact that Gregor WAS the reason the family was able to survive before. I just don't get it. Are people fucking stupid?

He likes thrillers pretty much exclusively. I don't know enough about them to get him one, so I'll probably just end up doing a gift card/some activity. We're not terribly close so I dunno

He's trying to scare you out of the house you dip. If I had an adult son who was still living with me I'd be pissy too

Literally who thinks Gregor is the "bad guy?" Even in the least sympathetic readings he's like a victim of circumstance

>Are people fucking stupid?
Bunch of people who themselves are leeches, get abortions and never worked the same job for more than 2 months. Those people jsut can't understand what it is liketo never to seriously be allowed to question your daily suffering to routine to come home and provide for ungrateful faces that frown at you.

JK but I agree.
Besides after the first initial read and the obvious and the common impressions I had, what you described was the real feeling I got from the book and made it so incredibly tragic.

I dunno man, I'm just talking about how the work is discussed in threads around here on Veeky Forums, which I know I should take with a grain of salt, but it seems like everyone has the base idea that Gregor was some sort of burden, and not a provider who fell on hard luck.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You get it, user.

Thanks, OP, you gave me a good idea. I will give a copy of Kafka's "Letter to the father" to that useless piece of shit.

Do it!

Jesus, you're dumb. I'm 18, European (ie parents don't kick you out of the house like americans do) and he has been acting like that since I know of myself. He's even more of an asshole to my younger brother and sister.

>gifting your parent for fathersday
has capitalism and consumption become a religion i the us or something?

Well maybe it is just a specil meal or going to the park. You don't have to gift them something material it can very well be jsut the act of doing something special that is worth a gift.

ayyyy

>tfw father was an alcoholic wife beater
>haven't seen him for 10+ years (I'm 21)
>I wonder how I'd have turned out if I had a decent male role model
>tfw I start to think I'm making excuses for my shortcomings.

I don't understnad why people who's father has abandoned them and caused them so much suffering, trust issues and damage that they don't go looking for him and shoot the fucker.

Fuck, i don't know.
With my mom it was easy because i could just buy flowers and ask my gf to make some cute hand-made ornament. I don't have the money to buy my dad something fancy.
Well, my mom will figure it out

I don't give him any attention or reply to his letters because I wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing he affected me at all. As far as he knows, I'm successful and don't give a fuck about him.

>This post
Daily reminder that commies have daddy issues

I got my dad the new Per Pettersson and may God have mercy on all y'all's souls.

reddit

bought him a pack of heavy duty work socks with my birthday money back in May, so that should be enough. idk. fathers day is always awkward because we don't get along very well. it's always "hey, happy fathers day." "Thanks." and that it. idk. maybe if my mom wants to I'll make a cake or something. idk. he never expressed his feeling for us when we were younger and when he did it was just to remind us how miserable we made his life or call us soul-killing parasites. so idk.

My son was born just a week ago and my father is thrilled to be a grandfather.