Comic is an often overlooked yet perfectly valid medium still at a very early stage of development

Comic is an often overlooked yet perfectly valid medium still at a very early stage of development.

Post some of your favourite novels/authors (keep it Veeky Forums related) and I'll make recomendations based on them.

Other urls found in this thread:

fichier-pdf.fr/2015/04/05/hitler-ss-vuillemin-gourio-choron/hitler-ss-vuillemin-gourio-choron.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No it isn't
Fuck off minitrue

Comics belong in /co/, and to fully appreciate and even critique them you have to have a knowledge of both literature and visual art.

They're not literature; it's a medium of its own.

For what reason a thread that tries to bridge both forms together doesn't belong here? I have seen numerous threads about plastic arts, film and even video games on Veeky Forums

I believe I got my shit together, so go ahead and give me a couple of your favourite authors and I try to make an impression on you.

We already have a board explicitly for this subject. Go there.

> still at a very early stage of development.

literally the oldest form of written communication in human history. narrative cave paintings predate the written word.

I definitely respect your intention but the simple fact is that most of Veeky Forums doesn't even read comics and these threads almost always dissolve into inane discussions of whats "literature" or not.

But I guess since why not, any comics like the book Laurus? That'd be interesting to see.

Nothing better than YA level writing acompanied by pictures because with those even less imagination is required from me. Boy I sure do love comics.

the last comic thread we had on Veeky Forums never got past Alan Moore. it was the definition of pleb shit.

>narrative cave paintings
Which ones?

Haven't read that book. What aspects of it interest you the most? Style? Theme? Form?

This is not the first comic thread I open on Veeky Forums, and everyone who participated got excellent recommendations.

What is literature?

All of it really, I enjoy the religious themes and little devices to spice up the prose (sometimes it dips into pseudo Olde English, its sparing and charming). And I have a love for nested stories too.

Definitely check out Mary Wept Over the Feet of Jesus by the great Chester Brown. Should be easy to find online.

"Equinoxes" by Cyril Pedrosa aswell.

Cool, thanks dude.

Also, the first volume of Satrapi's Persepolis may interest you aswell. Quality drops after that first volume, so in case you don't like it you can safely ditch the rest.

>TIL god floats his ass into little girl's rooms and envelops them in his white girth, even when they explicitly say "no"

Oh please, Chester Brown is terrible. You're going to recommend Joe Sacco next aren't you?

I might, indeed, depending on what posters ask for. And Chester Brown is great, particularly in his memoirs; there's nothing about him to be disregarded.

bump

Let's see what you have for these:

Jünger
Gorky
Tolstoy

It was the War of the Trenches and Goddamn this war! by Tardi
Black Poppy by Oesterheld and Lopez
Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths by Shigeru Mizuki.
Anything and everything by Joe Sacco

>mfw I've read both and I liked.

Give me the Shakespeare of comics.

You mean thematically, right?

I had in mind the prominent humanism that impregnates their works. I recognize however that my recommendations are kind of biased towards Junger's Storm of Steel.

In what respect?

>In what respect?
Everything

I got a number of names that I believe could apply.

Would you accept John Ford as the Shakespeare of cinema?

I've never seen a John Ford film.

Considering the scope of his oeuvre and the restless exploration of the possibilities of a medium in early development, HG Oesterheld is the John Ford of comic to me. Which could be applied to Shakespeare to an extent.

Other names are Breccia, Fred (Frédéric Aristidès), Hergé and Herriman.

And Osamu Tezuka as far as Japan is concerned.

Please do this sexy boy.

>Milan Kundera
>Seneca
>Marco Aurelio
>Camus
I have read (and very surprisingly, enjoyed with great pleasure) some comics like Oyasumi Punpun, Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim.
I haven`t gone much deeper than that though.

Alright, last one before I go to bed. Kafka happens to be one of my favourite writers.

David Boring by Clowes.
Arsène Schrauwen by Olivier Schrauwen.
Daneri by Breccia and Trillo.
Le petit cirque by Fred.
The first 3 volumes of Cities of the Fantastic by Peeters and Schuiten.

I have a whole archive of neat comic pages saved but
>Veeky Forums file size limit is still only 4mb
>2017

cmon japmoot, seriously step it up. why is this site always so far behind the curve of chans.

is frank castle the most Veeky Forums superhero?

In a rush, these come to mind.

>Kundera
Ghost World by Clowes
Anything by Dominique Goblet
Anything by Ulli Lust

>Camus
I never liked you by Chester Brown
What am I doing here? by Abner Dean

Thank you very much my man, what would you like to happen today?

Give me the Shakespeare of literature

shakespeare.

What's your favorite novel by him

classic French WW2 comic, much better than the overrated Mauss
fichier-pdf.fr/2015/04/05/hitler-ss-vuillemin-gourio-choron/hitler-ss-vuillemin-gourio-choron.pdf

This thread needs more Robert Crumb in it. The story of him and his brothers is Veeky Forums af

>Robert, Charles and Maxon grow up in stereotypical fifties suburban America
>Mom is crazed pill-popping chain-smoking fifties housewife
>Dad is stoic fifties everyman, secretly vastly disappointed in his sons, relationship with wife a total disaster
>Maxon and Robert speculate that somehow his activities in the Korean War brought bad karma onto the family. Maxon has had visions of angry Koreans
>The boys go to Catholic school, get hit with rulers by the nuns, acquire some classic Catholic guilt, etc
>The family moves, Charles is bullied in high school, feels that people can sense he is a homosexual pedophile, becomes steadily more dark and reserved
>In fact, all of the Crumb boys have supremely fucked up and grotesquely exaggerated libidos. Maxon goes on to do things like pull women's pants down in grocery stores, Robert is of course a massive pervert too as everyone knows
>Charles' life spirals further and further downhill. He takes to liquor, lives with his mother in a room full of books, stays inside for fear of acting on his pedophile tendencies, kills himself
>Robert takes soulless corporate job, then one day takes LSD, loses mind for a few days, crazed on the suburb, begins drawing psychedelic cartoons, becomes rich and famous
>Maxon takes the ascetic approach, lives a life of self-denial in a shitty hotel room, lives off of begging

And that's only the surface level

I love Crumb and that comic specifically. Think I first read it in one of those best American comics anthologies from the aughts.

Call me corny but the bit where he dreams of Bill in heaven always gets to me.

Those were pretty good threads, way better compared to the stuff you see on /co/. thanks for those and this as well!

I'm noticing a tendency towards latins, just for curiosity what's your nationatily?
Also, I'm thinking about reading El Eternauta, why do you think it is good?

Good morning Veeky Forums

I speak fluently French and Spanish, and I can get around reading in Portuguese and Italian. The anglo sphere became a protagonist only in the last 20 or so years (pretty much due to the Maus effect).
El Eternauta is great, an exploration of human morality, and one of the rare incursions into ("light") sci-fi undertaken by Oesterheld. Think of it as something similar to McCarthy's The Road.

Crumb is pretty good, but most obnoxious. I got mixed feelings towards his work. Nevertheless, he is undeniably a seminal figure of independent publishing.

The documentary about crumb is really very very good, I assume you've seen it. Charles is so utterly fascinating. You get the feeling that he was the most talented of the three of them. Everything he says is so honest, dark and hilarious.

I can bother with strips but I can't waste time on full comic paper full of pics and shitty monologues stuffed on such limited page.

Check out The Bus by Paul Kirchner then.

>After Charles committed suicide, his mother threw out a great deal of his artwork as she thought "No one would be interested in it."

Real shame.

>Patrician-tier
Golden age comic strips (Little Nemo, Krazy Kat, Prince Valiant, Flash Gordon)
Mumin comicstrips
Classic Franco-Belgian and European Comics (Tintin, Spirou, Blueberry, Asterix, Corto Maltese etc.)
Jodorowsky comics (Incal, Metabarons)
70s and 80s Heavy Metal, especially Enki Bilal, Nicolet, Druillet, and Gimenez
60s and 70s Marvel
80s and 90s DC
80s manga
A handful of R. Crumb comics, mostly the ones where he illustrates something (Religious Experience of Philip K. Dick, Book of Genesis, Boswell's London Journal)
Ditko comics about Randian Ojectivism

>Pleb-tier
Current Marvel/DC
Current Franco-Belgian genreshit
Image and Dark Horse original comics
99% of manga
Most ""Graphic novels""
All webcomics

>Pseud-tier
Anything Chris Ware, Dan Clowes, Alison Bechdel, Art Spiegelman, Marjane Satrapi
70s Underground Comix
Underground/alternative/experimental comics in general
Autobiographical comics
The majority of R. Crumb comics
Any ""Graphic novels"" acclaimed by literary critics and/or Veeky Forums

The Bus is Veeky Forums as fuck.

I only read patrician comics.

What a fucking mess my lad.

If you're looking for artists and comic creators here's a pretty good list of em, stuff that I enjoy at least:

>Moebius (Incal, Arzak, 40 Days in the Desert)
>Winsor McCay (Little Nemo)
>Tezuka (Astro Boy)
>Herge (Tintin)
>R. Crumb
>Mike Mignola (Hellboy)
>Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta)
>Simon Roy (Prophet, Tiger Lung)

If you want to understand comics as a medium, I recommend Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud.

Not very good recommendations, to be honest. Go read some actually great comics like the ones recommended in this or previous threads.

Pretty good list, I'd add some Will Eisner comics to it.

no u

What would those "actually great" comics be? I'm having a hard time believing you if you don't think Moebius at least is a great comic maker.

He is indeed very good and highly influential in the Franco-Belgian line. But except for Arzak none of the titles mentioned is Moebius at his best (not even Incal, as important as it is). Go read something like Cauchemar Blanc, or any 70's B&W Giraud for that matter. That's where he shines imo.
Definitely not a very good list, especially when you find crap like Mignola or Roy.

I have already mentioned a number of authors I consider great. Read the thread.

OP you still there?

Oh yeah. "Walking the Streets" is probably my favorite thing he did. The entire thing gets under my skin.

Still haven't gotten around to watching the film actually.

Crumb's done a lot of literature-related comics. The Kafka book, Philip K. Dick's weird religious experiences, Boswell's London Journal, Psychopathia Sexualis, Nausea....anything I'm missing?

Book of Genesis. I like the movie better than most of his actual comics desu.