What's Nietzsche's most accessible work for a beginner and which is the best, most modern translation of said work?

What's Nietzsche's most accessible work for a beginner and which is the best, most modern translation of said work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/a2C90l7YlT8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Start with untimely meditations

I tried thus spoke zippity-do-da and it was just ramblings pretending to be a story. I started reading Beyond good and evil and it's the same thing but way more traditional philosophy format, but with the ferocity of a madman. I don't know whats going on, but god damn am I fired up about it.

What translation do you recommend?

>ramblings pretending to be a story

Read his genealogy of morals. Most accessible and least amount of faggotry. It's a good read even if all you want is to laugh at his silly ideas.

Which translation?

gay science is a bad beginnig?

Can anyone talk about translations?

they are all accessible except thus spoke zarathustra

Twilight of the Idols is the best place to start. It's not too long, and contains the most succinct overview of all of his ideas. In terms of translation, Kaufmann and Hollingdale are both solid. A first time reader probably won't notice the difference. If you buy Kaufmann's translations in the Portable Nietzsche of the Basic Writings, he will do more in his footnotes to explain things to the uninitiated. The Gay Science is another great place to start, but it's definitely longer more dense.

Thank you so much. Finally, some useful information.

>useful

Kaufmann footnotes are known to be hilariously bad, somebody might have a screenshot

Kaufman

I get tired of them sometimes as well, especially the constant references to his own book. But there's useful info in there for a first timer, especially when he just sticks to placing something on the timeline of Nietzsche's opus or situating something in historical context.

>thus spoke zippity-do-da

>Read Nietzsche
>get massive Simpsons effect
>all his ideas percolated into modern society so if you're a young person today you're already familiar with all of them
waste of time unless you're really into history

>tfw 99% of this board are too unintelligent to understand him, and thus he will forever be spammed here in a vein attempt to convince strangers on the internet that you're in the 1%

Nietzsche is like the broken clock thingy.
And when he's right it will pierce your soul.

>i'm special
Kys

No but it's a relatively big and rambling book, it's better to start with the more focused ones like Genealogy of Morals.

The Birth of Tragedy is actually a great introduction if you've know your Greece a little.

I started with Beyond Good and Evil, Marion Faber's translation (Oxford). Kaufmann's is fine too. The preface starts heavy, and goes straight into the heart of the matter, so I recommend you be familiar with some other philosophers before reading it, even if you read some summarized digest of past philosophers (from the Greeks to Nietzsche).

I recommend before reading Nietzsche you read a few things about Nietzsche. If you want to understand him only from his works you'll have to read them all chronologically. If you read some stuff about him first you can jump to the good shit like the Antichrist.

youtu.be/a2C90l7YlT8

i thought that was the seinfeld effect