Will he ever be surpassed?

Will he ever be surpassed?

maybe. i can't wait to read the book of the man who does.

That's not JD Salinger, my friend.

Lmao kys

say that to me irl, faggot, and see what happens

thinking on it, the question should be 'has he been surpassed'

Gene Wolfe already has, naturally.

Oh please. Get your genreshit out of here.

if there's a Gaddis for a Melville there'll be someone for Gaddis

pynchon tried, but just wasn't up to snuff, unfortunately. i still have hope as well.

Could you elaborate please?

I'm probably going to sound like a gag but j r, the recognitions, frolic and agape are all far more important than anything caddis ever wrote. they are incredible critiques of our society. J R and the recognitions are more relevant than ever now.

Why does everyone say they like Nabokov, but when the time arises to put niggers like Gaddis in their place no one has the courage to say his name

name one nabokov book better than the recognitions. I'll wait.

Yeah, Pynchon's sentence structure and repertoire of phraselings and devices wows me and probably always will, but I also can't help but see a lot of squandered potential from drifting into lala land so often, preferring weird postmodern arcs over linearity, and being so detached or afraid to make connections on a more human level. I can't get a rhythm with the Recognitions though, but I've enjoyed the parts I've read.

Ada. Demonstrably Ada

why ?

>demonstrably
prove it.

Lucidity, precision, sincerity/authenticity, heart-rending and -beating characters (Ada and Van eclipse Wyatt, Otto, Esme, Esther, etc. by a large margin), and general aesthetiticism.

I like The Recognitions, but Ada is simply better

alright alright fair enough. I shall read that next. just finishing a smugglers bible and it's a snoozefest so far.

>meaningless buzzwords that are unfalsifiable
still waiting for the demonstration.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Don't be dissuaded by the ostensibly impeneratable opening 2 or 3 chapters

Obviously b8 m8. Not only has nobody on this board finished a Gaddis book (except me), but also he's just a wordier, more pretentious JD Salinger.

Me. Salinger could say in 9 Stories what Gaddis couldn't say in 10 lifetimes.

Fuck you buddy. Salinger couldn't write any comparable to JR or Frolic.

Well have you read it?

I'll assume that the lucidity and precision accolades go without need of defense.

As for the claim that it's a more passionate book, I think it's rather obvious. Gaddis has never been/was never good at invoking empathetic/sympathetic reactions. Are you really going to try and argue there's a single scene in TR that comes close, emotionally, to when Van is in the bordello with a "random" brunette, or when him and Ada have their first, mid-fire, assignation, or when he loves Ardis for this first time.

Nabokov is a better writer than Gaddis, maybe Gaddis' style is more appealing to you, and if that's the case I doubt any of the above will sway you

it is safe to say, that after this post, you are completely unable to demonstrate your claims. with much regret, your position is dismissed without resistance.

Great point. We are in the age of reason.

>s. Are you really going to try and argue there's a single scene in TR that comes close, emotionally, to when Van is in the bordello with a "random" brunette, or when him and Ada have their first, mid-fire, assignation, or when he loves Ardis for this first time.

when wyatt confronts his father and asks AM I THE MAN FOR WHOM CHRIST DIED

don't dignify him with a response, he said he would demonstrate. he has done nothing but offer his unsightly opinions. his feelings do not demonstrate anything other than his inability to objectively establish his position.
the problem is that his claim was too great. that he could show beyond the shadow of a doubt the superiority of one thing over another, let alone complex and advanced texts. he shows how miniscule his perspective is on what superiority is by giving his myopic opinion on a few simple values such as emotion and lucidity, as though these have in any way been established as a measurement of superiority, let alone offered any evidence to secure his interpretation of these values besides offering two scenes without any comparison. in the end, you offer him too much faith to argue with him scenes from either novel. his position is ultimately untenable, and if he were wise he would keep his jaw firmly glued in the future.

>t. autist

Holy shit you are a faggot.

whenever you're done with your temper tantrum, i will be here to consider your apology.

>continues to reply
this tells me all I need to know about (you)

>sincerity/authenticity

lol you dont fucking get nabokov at all, opinion discarded

Do you have crippling autism?

And the imperfection of a measure doesn't preclude measuring at all

Nah. You probably misunderstood me. What attribute do you think I was saying Nabokov is sincere about

I would say the barn scene with the bull eclipses those scenes. Stanley falling in love with esme. stanley playing in the church.

No, nobody will ever be the equal of Johnny Carson

>t. Jonathan Franzen

He's making fun of your use of demonstrable, and you're not getting it. All of your attempts to demonstrate do not include any demonstrations. I suggest you read some literary criticism before reading another large, difficult book

This board is complete shit because of people like you two. The guy you're replying to is exposing how empty your readings are and you cannot do anything to show otherwise other than calling him an autist/faggot

hey, relax. they're right in a way, i am a bit of an autist. don't let them get to you, this board has some clever and fun people on it. the trick i feel is to not lose your sense of individuality, don't get ground down by infinite criticism. who here do you trust to sculpt you into the man you wish to be in the future? exactly. thanks for defending my point.

I'm the guy who raved about Ada and didn't call him an autist/faggot at all. Those were other anons

lmao. JR says more about modern society than Good day for Banana Fish ever will. bic

Can we please stop herralding JR's social commentary as anything more than mediocre.

Who the hell is over the age of 16 and isn't familiar with the idea that capitalism is inherently excessive, that it provides a framework where the immoral, and especially the amoral (like JR) thrive, that it values stuff (HOPPIN WITH FLAVOR) more than people (Eigen). I can't wait for the Gaddis love on this board to die back down to the (respectable, and) appropriate level.

Inb4 someone talks about the "natural rythm of the book/speech"

are you also disillusioned with euclid's elements, being that all of it is taught in elementary school now?

Not my point. If someone was about to be awarded the nobel prize this year for (re-) postulating that parallel lines never intersect I would have the same reaction as I do when JR's social commentary gets praised. Did anyone in this thread read JR and learn something incisive about capatalism.

The issue is the appraisal of the mundane/exoteric as profound/esoteric

Lolita and Pale Fire, don't listen to Pseuds saying Ada.

neither are better than recognitions you fucking autist

you don't know the first thing about capitalism senpai

you're an unemployed (maybe min wage) college student/recent graduate who studied humanities and thinks he got it all "figured out" cause you read some links on reddit and shitposted on Veeky Forums a few times

> afraid to make connections on a more human level.
Not that user

Inherent Vice is the most poignant book about lost love I've ever read. It left me with a feeling of wanting more....exactly how a lost love feels.

I'm yet to read his other heavy books.

wow you are pathetic. Do not hesitate mister, go ahead and post your vision of Marx's Theory of Value.

In your opinion.

I studied electrical eng and have a job as a development engineer.