Western fiction

What are some essential western books to read?

Blood Meridian & read all of Mark Twain's novels

Cat in the Hat is a good place to start if you want to truly understand the literary genies that is Dr Seuss, who is perhaps the greatest influence on western literature as a whole. His writings influenced nearly every major western novel up till this day.

Warlock
butcher's crossing
blood meme

that's it

Don't bother reading the sequels to lonesome dove.

That one part in At Swim-Two-Birds

Is this just copying what the introduction to Butcher's Crossing says?

MY DIARY DESU
Y

D
I
A
R
Y

D
E
S
U

I don't read introductions. those are the only 3 I've read. blood meme was pretty good. Warlock was alright. butcher's was meh. so if those are the best the genre has to offer I can't see anything else being that good tbhfam

They're the holy trinity of literary westerns.

(Warlock > Butcher's Crossing >> Bloody Mediterranean)

I usually don't either but the NYRB classics usually have solid introductions, but I read them after the work is finished usually.

Is Louis L'Amour any good?

Butchers crossing was utter shit. Tried so hard to be deep and meaningful. Mccarthys border trilogy was better. The big sky by Guthrie was also kino but not the sequels.

Purple Sage and one or two others of his. Zane G, i.e.

You forgot Shane

>Mccarthys border trilogy was better
1>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Contrarian hating on blood meridian is an example of Veeky Forums reactionary contrarianism

no h8 m8, I just prefer the other two.

I actually liked 2 better than 1. And didn't think 3 was that bad. But lit disagrees with me on most things so eh

I really hope no one considers butchers crossing in the holy trinity.
Has anyone here actually read it or are all you DFW fags just parroting what your English professors said in freshman literature

I have read it, yes. I haven't heard a bad word about it on Veeky Forums before so this thread is surprising. Or were all these posts yours?

>

You're all pathetic

Does someone who knows a lot about grammar and phonetics want to do my assignment for me please thanks

I just sat my A Level English Language exam, I'm great at phonology and grammar.

No I only posted once. This is the first time I've ever seen t discussed on here. Did you enjoy it? I thought the story was boring and the metaphors/themes were too in your face.
None of my friends have read it but they pretend like it must be great because it's the same guy who wrote Stoner

I did enjoy it, it worked well as a realist response to transcendentalism. Can't say I was ever bored, I thought it showed that a western doesn't need a high body count to be tense reading. highlight was the moment it started to snow.

Fair. I haven't studied enough literary history to bring it to that level which is where my review probably falls short. Like you said, a very real story contextually, but I was bored with it because of that fact. When I read fiction, and especially westerns, I really enjoy the heroic ranger or tragic hero filled with adventure and thrills. Which is why I didn't enjoy it. It reminded me of a Hemingway novel where the final act falls flat and while you hope for a different ending, you know exactly what ending you're getting despite it all.

I need to identify 3 intransitive clauses and 2 transitive clauses in this poem:
I wander thro' each charter'd street,
Near where the charter'd Thames does flow.
And mark in every face I meet
Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

In every cry of every Man,
In every Infants cry of fear,
In every voice: in every ban,
The mind-forg'd manacles I hear

How the Chimney-sweepers cry
Every blackning Church appalls,
And the hapless Soldiers sigh
Runs in blood down Palace walls

But most thro' midnight streets I hear
How the youthful Harlots curse
Blasts the new-born Infants tear
And blights with plagues the Marriage hearse

Also, what part of speech is'but' in the sentence, 'nothing but dust remains of ancient times'?

Someone help this man