Moby Dick

>People actually think Ishmael is the protagonist
Stop this meme

dude metal gear lmao

Why the fuck would I care who the protagonist is? I'm not writing a blog for retarded people or first year undergrads am I? Have more interesting thoughts.

>there's a protagonist

If you can't tell who the protagonist is how can you understand everything else?

life doesnt have protagonists, it has great men, and the only great men in story are queequeg, ahab, and that goofy moroccan dude

Agree. If you can't tell that Ahab's wife is the protagonist you've just missed the point of the whole book. Melville paints the men as animals trying to dominate the sea/she by exulting manhood. But in the end they can't exert control over their sperm (whale) and lose themselves to the superior being. Ahab's wife is superior because even though she is not given a name and is referred to as someone's property, she survives the folly of men and her strength of character is plain to see. Melville clearly had progressive ideas before our time which makes me think it is actually a pen name for a woman because only a true feminist could have written such a subversive masterpiece.

I'm just past the part where Ahab reveals that he's after Moby Dick and it seems like up until they got on the ship Ishmael was clearly the protagonist, but now his character is becoming much less relevant and even his role as narrator is breaking down as the book is describing scenes that Ishmael isn't there for.

Isn't he Malay? Or are we thinking of different characters?

The narrator was the true monomaniac.

omg nobody cares who is the protagonist

kek
nice

dude the whole book is literally a bar story told by ishmael

The general consensus is that Ahab is the protag

You forgot Bulkington

But it's right there in the beginning.
>Call me Ishmael

Ishmael is the protagonist of the ishmaeliad (first 28 chapters or ~100 pages). Ahab is the protagonist for the rest.

This. The ishmaeliad goes for about a hundo, then Ishy becomes the deuteragonist.

i honestly dont remember and im probably getting mixed up with robinson crusoe

perhaps but hes an extremely minor character

But was his name really Ishmael?

Nah it's a reference to the biblical Ishmael who Melville identified with.

Was "Call me Ishmael" the definitive death of the author?